Does anybody else see jones having a ridiculous gaurd?

SideKickPro24

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I know we've never seen him on his back, but here me out...

Look at the arm lock jones did to texiera in the 1st round, that tore his labrum. It was quick, unexpected, and deadly. Jones always takes advantage of position, and has shown very good subs from top position.

With jone's personality, and the way he strives for perfection, it's difficult to see him neglecting such an important part of mma, even though he hasn't been there.
Lastly, he has the body for it, long limbs make it easier to tie a guy up or just push his head away and set things up. Also anyone who doesn't see jones throwing nasty elbows from the bottom is mistaken.

I would post more reasons I could see jones having a ridiculous guard, but I'm interested in y'all's opinions on this 2

He must have a sick guard since he pulled guard against Rampage. Shame he just clutched on for dear life for 5 seconds rather than deploying a slick submission. That would have really made the BJJ people happy.

All i could think was mummyguard

method=get&rs=53&q=75&x=33&y=-5&w=150&h=150&ro=0&s=on-jones.png

In all seriousness though, i think if Cormier is ahead on the scorecards Jones would go crazy from the guard, elbowmachine, i just hope Cormier will do his best to stay safe from them, not that i think he'll win the fight by TKO from the guard. (Has this ever happened?)

Last edited:
I have a suspicion that Jones' guard is probably on par with everything else.

I think it's very good in some respects, but less so in others. For example, I can't see him getting his feet on his opponents hips as smoothly as elite BJJers. Nor can I see him kicking out and popping back to his feet in the blink of an eye. But he is very strong and I could see him doing a ton of damage from the bottom.

I agree with this. He's been able to train for a long time on it. Wouldn't be surprised to see him pull off a submission off his back against DC after luring him to the ground.

He's pulled guard a couple of times in his career so he must be comfortable there. I doubt he'd have a guard deadly enough to deal with a top level wrestler and grappler like DC though.

He must have a sick guard since he pulled guard against Rashad. Shame he just clutched on for dear life for 5 seconds rather than deploying a slick submission. That would have really made the BJJ people happy.

I wouldn't read too much into that he did it really late in the round I don't really think he expected to do anything with that, he did the same thing against rampage

Eyepokes from gaurd have served me well in many a street fight

I've always thought he would have a good defensive guard, good sweeps etc

I dont know if sick but Im pretty sure that he is well prepaired to fight of his back.

Jones is a hell of a fighter and he is as complete as they come. He also trains in a top MMA camp and has elite training partners.

Probably not. Every time I hear a fighter has an excellent guard and is dangerous off of his back, but are never actually on their backs in a fight because they are more of a top control type of guy, they usually look like garbage once they are put on their backs.

Can only judge his guard from a defensive standpoint, which seems to be pretty damn good. Haven't seen enough offense though tbh.

The flying triangle on Rampage might indicate such

Exactly what I'm talking about. I beileve jones has a whole arsenal of skills weave never seen, and his game plans are so fight specific.

Dirty boxing against texiera ( easily the most impressive thing I've seen jones do)

The elbows against rashad (wouldn't let the wrestler gauge his distance by linking up)

The knee stomps against rampage (wouldn't let he power puncher commit to his shots)

I'd assume he has a very good defensive guard since he's already naturally strong, and he has long arms to lock you up from bottom.

As for an offensive guard. That'd yet to be seen, other than a very late triangle attempt on Rampage.

Probably not. Every time I hear a fighter has an excellent guard and is dangerous off of his back, but are never actually on their backs in a fight because they are more of a top control type of guy, they usually look like garbage once they are put on their backs.

Good point

Back