Does anybody else consider Rocky IV one of the greatest movies of all time?

It's one of the best action movies of all time for sure. It's weird going from the drama that is Rocky to a comic book/action movie like Rocky IV though.

The tonal shift is kind of weird. It actually reminds me of certain other movie franchises, like Die Hard for instance, which goes from a fairly realistic, grounded action movie to McClane jumping on top of a fighter jet. Or The Fast and the Furious franchise, which again goes from being relatively realistic to being pure over-the-topic comic book shit. It's like every studio things they always have to go bigger and BIGGER and eventually the end result is always severing ties with reality.

In the case of Rocky though, I don't really mind.

Nothing overrated about Top Gun. . .

If you say so... Just one of many overrated 80's films that was able to entertain children and was therefore given the title of "great film" because 30 years later the adults of now watched it 100 times growing up.

I watched Hard Target 100 times, and was entertained every time. But I have the sense to differentiate a great movie from one that I enjoy. Seems like a lot of people don't. Hard Target is entertaining, as are Rocky IV and Top Gun. But none of those films are all-time greats as far as movies go. Raging Bull is an all-time great. Hell, the first two Rocky's are all-time greats. Rocky IV is an exploitation film, and Top Gun had Tom "I Danced Around in My Undies in Risky Business and Made Women Like Me" Cruise as its star, who doesn't do a stellar job as the lead if you watch it today without bias.

If you say so... Just one of many overrated 80's films that was able to entertain children and was therefore given the title of "great film" because 30 years later the adults of now watched it 100 times growing up.

I watched Hard Target 100 times, and was entertained every time. But I have the sense to differentiate a great movie from one that I enjoy. Seems like a lot of people don't. Hard Target is entertaining, as are Rocky IV and Top Gun. But none of those films are all-time greats as far as movies go. Raging Bull is an all-time great. Hell, the first two Rocky's are all-time greats. Rocky IV is an exploitation film, and Top Gun had Tom "I Danced Around in My Undies in Risky Business and Made Women Like Me" Cruise as its star, who doesn't do a stellar job as the lead if you watch it today without bias.

I'm guessing you feel like a movie has to be particularly deep or complex in order to be a good movie. I look at things differently. I feel like a good movie is a movie that effectively does what the director intended for it to do.

The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption. . . Sure, these are great films. But they aren't the only KIND of great film.

Tony Scott said about Top Gun:

"I see these pilots as rock 'n' roll stars of the skies. I see deep blue skies and silver steel. I hear the rock music and smell the jet fuel. I love shooting real things in the real world."

It's pretty obvious then what he was going for. He wasn't trying to make a movie with some profound meaning, he was trying to make an entertaining, high-energy film about rock star Navy pilots. And he did exactly that. I STILL watch Top Gun and get pumped as SHIT!

So okay, the movie is entertaining. Apparently there are cons, right? I mean, if the movie isn't great then apparently it fails in some way. . .

Is it not good technically? No, it's quite good, the cinematography is beautiful and the sound is incredible.

Is the script inconsistent? Not at all. The script makes perfect sense. Never am I confused when watching the movie or wondering what's going on. The story is clear and understandable.

Perhaps then it is simply boring? Hell no! It's fun and exciting and surprisingly emotional.

So I just don't get any hate that people ever throw at Top Gun. It's not a great movie because I loved it as a kid. It's a great movie because it's a great movie.

Long Live Top Gun!

x5oenhclumucx1d0vwzq.jpg

Would have been much better if Apollo had butchered Drago in the exhibition and then immediately called out Rocky for the Thrilla-esque rubbermatch...

I'm guessing you feel like a movie has to be particularly deep or complex in order to be a good movie. I look at things differently. I feel like a good movie is a movie that effectively does what the director intended for it to do.

The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption. . . Sure, these are great films. But they aren't the only KIND of great film.

Tony Scott said about Top Gun:

"I see these pilots as rock 'n' roll stars of the skies. I see deep blue skies and silver steel. I hear the rock music and smell the jet fuel. I love shooting real things in the real world."

It's pretty obvious then what he was going for. He wasn't trying to make a movie with some profound meaning, he was trying to make an entertaining, high-energy film about rock star Navy pilots. And he did exactly that. I STILL watch Top Gun and get pumped as SHIT!

So okay, the movie is entertaining. Apparently there are cons, right? I mean, if the movie isn't great then apparently it fails in some way. . .

Is it not good technically? No, it's quite good, the cinematography is beautiful and the sound is incredible.

Is the script inconsistent? Not at all. The script makes perfect sense. Never am I confused when watching the movie or wondering what's going on. The story is clear and understandable.

Perhaps then it is simply boring? Hell no! It's fun and exciting and surprisingly emotional.

So I just don't get any hate that people ever throw at Top Gun. It's not a great movie because I loved it as a kid. It's a great movie because it's a great movie.

Long Live Top Gun!

x5oenhclumucx1d0vwzq.jpg

No, good films don't have to be deep, they just don't have to be flawed. And while I agree with a lot of your points, and don't completely dislike Top Gun, or Rocky IV, for that matter, the glaring point you left off is Cruise's terrible acting in that film. Great films don't have bad acting in lead roles. Hell, Val Kilmer isn't stellar in the supporting role either. Meg Ryan was probably the best actor in that film, and her role was miniscule, and the second best actor was killed off. Idk, mang. We will have to agree to disagree. At least I didn't pick on Lost Boys, because I could have ripped that "all-time classic" to shreds, but I'll save that diatribe for another day.

I am one of the only people I know who think Rocky 2 is the best. Enjoyed almost all of the movie.

I enjoyed elements of the first movie. Guy leaving it all in the ring and epic fight, Apollo's trainer seeing Rocky punching the beef and getting worried, Mick chewing Rocky out for being a Mafia bruiser instead of being a fighter, But a lot of the movie bored me to tears.

Rocky 3 was entertaining as heck and kept me interested. Rocky 4 was a propaganda film more annoying than being bored to tears, but the final fight was epic. Rocky 5 was pounded horseshit. Rocky Balboa was actually very entertaining to me all the way, although ridiculous in premise.

I rank them as such.

Rocky 2
Rocky 3
Rocky Balboa
Rocky
Rocky 4

Rocky 5

I don't agree with your list but I was a bit bored with Rocky. Rocky 2 is my favorite as well.

No, good films don't have to be deep, they just don't have to be flawed. And while I agree with a lot of your points, and don't completely dislike Top Gun, or Rocky IV, for that matter, the glaring point you left off is Cruise's terrible acting in that film. Great films don't have bad acting in lead roles. Hell, Val Kilmer isn't stellar in the supporting role either. Meg Ryan was probably the best actor in that film, and her role was miniscule, and the second best actor was killed off. Idk, mang. We will have to agree to disagree. At least I didn't pick on Lost Boys, because I could have ripped that "all-time classic" to shreds, but I'll save that diatribe for another day.

Indeed, we'll agree to disagree. I think Cruise does a really good job.

As for Lost Boys, I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid but I could see it being one that doesn't hold up all that well.

It's one of the greatest Rocky movies to follow Rocky III.

Indeed, we'll agree to disagree. I think Cruise does a really good job.

As for Lost Boys, I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid but I could see it being one that doesn't hold up all that well.

Well, you said the acting in Rocky IV was great too, sooooo... :wink:

Lost Boys is a terribly dated film, while somewhat fun, I guess. But no one who took part in making that film did much thinking about the future, or maybe they were looking to make a period piece, idk...

Anybody with me?

Close. I consider Rocky III to be one of my favorite films ever. Endless re-watch value. IV was very good too, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't make my top 10 all time, and III does.

9 out of 10 people? I disagree.

Ask people about Rocky and you'll find many people will bring up the Russian. I would also venture to say they would also view "Eye off the Tiger" as the Rocky soundtrack and not for one particular film.

Alrighty. Maybe it is just in my neck of the woods. But 4 is not as iconic as 3 to a lot of people whenever I chat about Rocky, which admittedly has not been since the release of the last movie.

I suspect if polled, 1 would win anyways.

But Eye of the tiger was only the soundtrack to 3 really. They played it the entire movie as it was part of the theme. They played it in 4 like once, and only during flashbacks to 3 unless I am mistaken

I fully expect to get mocked for asking this question, but I'm still asking it. It's an absolute classic in my book, with fantastic performances from Stallone, Weathers, and Lundgren. The story, the execution and the final fight are all brilliant. An amazing film.

Anybody with me?

Not a great movie, but great fun. Dolph in his prime, looking like he'd stepped right out of a Marvel Comic. "Whatever he hits - he destroys!" Apollo's final fight. "If he dies, he dies." Brilliantly OTT training montages and a sound-track that still holds up today; I'll Lift to No Easy Way Out any time. Drago Cleaning and Pressing 400lbs. Rocky running up the mountain. "Drago! DRAGOOOO!!!"

Yes, it's so cheesy it will raise your cholesterol to dangerous levels. Yes, the final fight is both unbelievable and predictable. And yes, Sly's speech to the Russian crowd is cringe-inducing. But none of that matters. It's pure 80's escapism. Hollywood fantasy at it's finest.:cool:

Just Google "He's Cut" and you'll see why this is an 80's classic

the best thing about Rocky IV was it laid the ground work to Nate Quarry's amusing post fight octagon interview.

Yes. It's a standard bearer of B-movies. A near-perfect iteration of the genre.

Alrighty. Maybe it is just in my neck of the woods. But 4 is not as iconic as 3 to a lot of people whenever I chat about Rocky, which admittedly has not been since the release of the last movie.

I suspect if polled, 1 would win anyways.

But Eye of the tiger was only the soundtrack to 3 really. They played it the entire movie as it was part of the theme. They played it in 4 like once, and only during flashbacks to 3 unless I am mistaken

Honestly I could tell you very little about the plot of III even though I've seen it multiple times. But IV I can talk about at length.

I also agree with that poster's sentiment that Eye of the Tiger is more regarded as the series's theme rather than the theme of any single entry. When I hear Eye of the Tiger, I think of Rocky, but I don't think of Rocky III. But when I think of Burning Heart or Hearts on Fire, I think of Rocky and specifically think of Rocky IV.

Back