Does anybody else consider Rocky IV one of the greatest movies of all time?

I fully expect to get mocked for asking this question, but I'm still asking it. It's an absolute classic in my book, with fantastic performances from Stallone, Weathers, and Lundgren. The story, the execution and the final fight are all brilliant. An amazing film.

Anybody with me?

No, it is no Lawrence of Arabia.

It's shallow and pedantic. Also, it insists upon itself.

Leave it to Sherdog to hate on movies that are actually great, but praise the hell out of mediocre movies like Rocky IV and The Ring.

its not even the best rocky, let alone one of the greatest movies of all time.

Great music to work out too!

I've seen it at least 100 times including watching almost the entire thing last week and I came across it on TV...

But, you are fucking crazy man. You need to see more movies if you think this is anything more than a bad but fun cheeseball sports drama. It's not a "great film" by any definition really.

Also, you're very likely the first person in the world to claim that any Dolph Lundgren performance was "great".

I don't know about great performances, but the movie is fucking awesome and single handedly ended the cold war. FACT.

GOAT training montage, other than that it's not even the best Rocky movie.

Rocky 4 isn't even among the GOATs of the Rocky series.

i like rocky II the best. rocky V was an abomination. i also enjoyed rocky balboa.

It's like Top Gun.

An unintentional comedy classic.

Basically, this. Both are overrated, possibly due to the actors in the starring roles, to the point that people block out everything that is wrong with the films.

For you maybe. 9 people out of 10 however go straight to eye of the tiger. A lot of them have not even seen the original Rocky or any movie BUT Mr T's. A lot of people think the Eye of the Tiger is the actual Rocky theme for god's sakes.

The 3rd movie is the one everyone thinks of

9 out of 10 people? I disagree.

Ask people about Rocky and you'll find many people will bring up the Russian. I would also venture to say they would also view "Eye off the Tiger" as the Rocky soundtrack and not for one particular film.

Lol I remember being about 7 years old and asking what the Soviet Union was, by dad told me it was a country that used to exist, that blew my mind. I couldn't imagine a country ceasing to exist, I always felt that Drago wasn't a bad guy at all and just had the terrible luck of fighting the guy the movie was named after. I based my whole look at wrestling tournaments on Ivan, blonde flat top and all.

For anyone in this thread saying Rocky IV sucks, I'll fight you IRL.

Rocky IV is probably my favorite film in the franchise. Yes, the first film is a better movie, and is a real achievement, but Rocky IV is just so goddamned fun and entertaining. The acting is great, Creed's death brings the feels, the montages set the standard, and Drago is the most memorable villain in the whole series.

Regarding this last part, it was the role of a lifetime for Dolph and he played it to perfection. Not only that, but GODDAMN was he a physical specimen.

I love the whole Rocky series but the only ones that I regularly re-watch are 1 and 4. And among those two, I definitely watch 4 the most. Anyone who says it's a bad movie is quite possibly a bad person.

One thing that pissed me off about Rocky IV was Adrian bring such a hater with all that "you can't win" bullshit. That behavior warranted a left cross.

greatest of all time?

definitely not even

It's one of the best action movies of all time for sure. It's weird going from the drama that is Rocky to a comic book/action movie like Rocky IV though.

One thing that pissed me off about Rocky IV was Adrian bring such a hater with all that "you can't win" bullshit. That behavior warranted a left cross.

That's true. She was definitely being a bitch in that movie.

Back