Does any top fighter not belong to a team? An independent?

OrigFan255

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I know most fighters do belong to a team and follow that teams trainers and philosophy of the game BUT,
I wonder if there are any fighters out there that chose to not stay in one gym and would rather bounce around and cosume the most knowledge they can, from various sources.

I am not sure if teams would shun a fighter that wanted to train in such a manner.... I know that gyms and trainers love the accolades that come with being responsible for training champions and being a journeyman would make that part difficult. (Ex: Dillashaw, Bang, Alpha Male)

I don't doubt that plenty of rookies may train in such a manner but I wanna know if there are any successful, top guys who may train this way?

I remember that one guy that was on TUF who only trained with his dad, lol.

I think Clay Guida bounces around. Was Jackson/Wink but I think he's dabbled with TAM and others.

Conor trains with TTB often...

#TeamTouchButt

Roy Nelson trains in his garage

Overeem trains at Jackson's but he brings all his own people in

Sage does it, earns double the money Dillashaw does.

More fighters than you think. Most that aren't at the tippy-top don't train full time at a major camp, they train on their own then go to a major camp to prep for a fight.

Taking Cody Pfister for example, he trains out of some random gym in Texas but does his camps at the MMA Lab, to my knowledge. Places like AKA where the fighters are dedicated to the gym are the exception, not the rule.

On a similar note, I'm pretty sure Maia has always run his own camps, I don't remember him training out of anyone's gym for an extended period. Pretty sure he brings all of his training partners and stuff to him.

Mir was that way for a while. He would hire a guy here and there to come train with him.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding properly.

But Joanna certainly doesn't have any famous gym mates that I know of.

Back