Does any other sport have active participants in full commentary/talk show positions?

yes and no, dc comes off biased at times when commentating lhw fights but i rarely if ever see any from dom. i think of all the guys on the roster the ufc went with probably the best options available, dc and dom are very well spoken, knowledgeable guys

also, kenflo, stann and hardy are also great commentators, even if theyre retired.

For the most part no, as they're too busy practicing with their team and making millions, but the NFL will have some guys at the tale end of their career slowly move into broadcasting. I think Brandon Marshall for the NYG has a commentating gig.

DC isn't knowledgable at all in comparison to more well rounded mixed martial artists.

He knows wrestling. Everything else is amateur knowledge.

Just because his wrestling is strong enough to beat his competition doesn't mean he knows enough about MMA to be a strong commentator.

AJ Pierzynski would do it in baseball towards the end. When his team wasn't in the playoffs they had him work the playoff games. Typically the other sports are all active at the same time same time so their time schedules don't allow for it as easily.

seems like a conflict of interest in some ways no?
It's ridiculous actually. Cruz commenting on Faber and Cormier on Jones. The reason why this obvious conflict of interests exists is because Fox allows the UFC to do the hiring and firing. This is one of the reasons that the UFC has a long way to go before it's mainstream. If the UFC wants to be on ESPN they'll have to relinquish control of production.

Rugby league in Australia

Boxing does this...Roy Jones, Hopkins, Malignaggi and Tarver all worked for HBO/Showtime while they were active boxers.

During the NBA playoffs, players who didn't make the playoffs would give their advice on sport shows

Back