Does Anthony Pettis Have Any Chance Against Tony Ferguson?

Thickfreakness

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I spoke about this on a live stream that I did for a podcast I host and a lot of people in the chat were giving Pettis absolutely no chance against Ferguson. I disagree with this quite a bit, here's the clip:

While I think Ferguson should be the favourite and I'd ultimately pick him, I don't think Pettis is a lamb to the slaughter. Ferguson likes to strike and also likes to work on the floor rather than simply out-position his opponents. This gives Pettis plenty of openings to work where he likes to work.

Not to mention Tony's injury.

Pettis isn't the the 'Showtime' he used to be, but stylistically I can see why this would interest him.

What's your thoughts? Are you completely counting out Pettis like many people seem to be?

Not an easy fight for either guy, stylistically. Both guys have unorthodox striking and slick submissions, they can both catch eachother for sure.

But betting against Ferguson is not advisable.

Not an easy fight for either guy, stylistically. Both guys have unorthodox striking and slick submissions, they can both catch eachother for sure.

But betting against Ferguson is not advisable.
Pretty much how I feel. If you look at the top 10 in the division, I think Ferguson is in the top 2-3 of fights Pettis likes.

Why is Pettis even in this fight?

He's 3-5 in his last eight fights and only 2-2 in his last two.
His wins are against Chiesa (pfft) Jim Miller (lost 8 of his last 12 fights) and Chuck Oliveria (who is 3-4 in last seven while losing all to TKO or submission).

Pettis will land a head kick on Ferg and sleep him.

No, lol. People are overrating Pettis just because he won against Chiesa who was about to die earlier due to going through the worst weight cut in his life.

Also Chiesa isnt that good. Certainly nowhere near Top 5 calibre and Tony is probably the best guy in the division.

It's gonna be easy work for Tony.

I'm giving him a 20 percent chance.

His wins are against Chiesa (pfft) Jim Miller (lost 8 of his last 12 fights) and Chuck Oliveria (who is 3-4 in last seven while losing all to TKO or submission).
I thought that at first and then my co-host rattled through all the other possibilities... and there aren't many. Kevin Lee is the obvious pick. However, I'd argue that Ferguson would rather this fight coming back from injury. Pettis still has some name value and is probably an easier fight.

If this is Showtime of the 2012 era yes he has a great shot as Ferg likely stands with him. Pettis down fall will be if he goes for a choke . Should be a great standing fight.

Ferg is coming back too soon like Boobie Miles did

He's probably a little quicker than Ferguson, but I think Ferguson will be too well prepared on the ground and too durable on the feet

Anyone that says Pettis has zero chance is a biased hater or knows nothing about style matchups.

Who knows what Tony looks like after knee surgery. If his movement is diminished and he can't land takedowns, Pettis could outpoint him on the feet.

I like the fact that the fight is on the card as injury insurance for Conor-Khabib and at least there WILL be a title fight even if it ends up Pettis-Khabib after Conor/Tony suffer late injuries.

I favor Ferg, but Pettis does have different ways to finish. And Ferg tends to get rocked in almost every fight. So Pettis just needs to capitalize on that moment and he has a chance.

On the flip side, Pettis doesn't do well with fast paced pressure fighters so the fight favors Tony because that is his style.

Because 1) Tony needs to fight at 229. He is literally the only suitable replacement if either Khabib or Conor pull out. 2) He is the highest ranked fighter available who isnt someone Tony has beaten already.

Anyone that says Pettis has zero chance is a biased hater or knows nothing about style matchups.
Not saying zero chance, but Pettis has been on a slide for a while and just frankly doesn't deserve the fight. That being said, it's MMA and anything can happen.

Back