Does Alex need to work on his cardio?

D3thr0n3d K1ng

I do not wish to create joinder with you!!!!
@Steel
Reaction score
Im referring to in Round 5 when he literally dropped his hands to his sides, started looking at the floor and stumbling around as if he were about to pass out. I have never seen any fighter gas that badly to where they just start stumbling around. Rogan started worrying about him and I thought at one point he was going to collapse. I was somewhat shocked that he pulled through and kept fighting though.

Obviously it was a hellacious fight, but up until that point his cardio looked superb. Do you think if Alex had focused more on his cardio that he could have possible did better in the last round and decisively secured the victory? Is his cardio a problem that needs to be addressed?

It was his first time going 5 rounds (AFAIK), now he knows what it takes to perform for that long I'm sure he'll make adjustments in his training. His cardio is not bad, but obviously he should look to improve it.

His cardio is fine, YOU try taking bit shots from a monster like Jon Jones, cardio or no cardio you're gonna feel it.

His cardio is solid, he went for 25 minutes and it was a war.

i don't think anyone at 205 could keep his pace all 5 rounds in a war like that.

if he could have? sure he prolly would of won.

Gustaffson is really light on the feet, jumping up and down pretty much constantly, never stays still.

I think his gas tank is fine.....his style is just a very taxing one.

His cardio is solid....its the shots he took that took the pep out of the step.

Possibly the deciding factor. He did nothing but survive in the 5th.

You do realize that in the fifth round he threw and landed more strikes than Jones?
Plus he caught Jones with his signature spinning back elbow

It's impossible to not gas with his size and fight that style at that pace for 5 rounds.

He can improve his cardio by being more energy efficient.

Gus's gassing and less to do with cardio and more to do with Jones repeated leg kicks over the course of the whole fight to a point Gus could hardly walk.

Yes. If he had a great gas tank, I think he could've won the fight.

Hell no he doesn't. He got tired because he going insane in the cage with the champ. Both of them got tired. Fighting hard for 5 rounds is tiresome.

He probably has better cardio than Jones. He was bouncing around and moving the entire time, and was getting hit a lot. He needs to learn to not be as spastic in his movements. It won't make him all that much more susceptible to take downs, and his defense is obviously great anyway.

His cardio is fine, YOU try taking bit shots from a monster like Jon Jones, cardio or no cardio you're gonna feel it.

This! I really don't understand when ppl blame cardio for getting beat up. This how I know some of you never have dished or taken lickings. Go get your wind knocked out of you and look in the mirror.

You do realize that in the fifth round he threw and landed more strikes than Jones?
Plus he caught Jones with his signature spinning back elbow

Depends on what stat sheet you look at. Jones won rd5, not sure why you're making a case for him.

Eating big shots wrecks your cardio,its as simple as that.
Both slowed down alot compared to what were used to seeing,both guys
took some decent shots.

dude, he was literally in the most grueling, and one of the fastest pace 5 round lhw fights in the history of the sport. they actually set a record for most combined significant strikes landed in a title fight. gus never stopped moving the entire fight... they were both running on pure heart and adrenaline at the end. i mean cardio can obviously always get better for anyone, but his cardio last night was top notch. fuck he just almost got knocked out going into the 5th, and ate 100 or so kicks....

I think it was more the concussion received in the 4th round more than being tired.

His brain was pretty much begging for a break. His heart kept him going though

Depends on what stat sheet you look at. Jones won rd5, not sure why you're making a case for him.

Jones didn't do much in round 5. The head kicks weren't landing that well. Gus probably did land better shots, he had terrible body language though which doesn't look good.

Back