Does a fighters union effect the USADA testing / penalties?

aragona

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm sure with a collective bargaining contract through unionization there will be language in the contract which will change how tests are administered, when they are given and what the penalties are for positive tests. Unions are about protecting their members, and the state athletic commissions will also have to follow the languages in a collective bargaining agreement.

USADA will probably not be able to track every movement of a fighter and track them down for a test as it'll be considered invasive to the fighters personal life. On the flip side I'm sure there won't be a situation as we saw with Brock with the test coming back after the fight and the contract would probably protect the competitor of a fighter (Hunt) who tested positive (Brock).

Though I don't think we'll see a fighters union as WME has serious money and has government connections as Ari Emanel's brother Rham is a former White House Chief of Staff and current mayor of Chicago.

It's interesting to think about.

Busting Overeem and Vitor is needed for the sport, we need to catch the cheater... Now the testing is more accurate and catch fighters off guard... Everybody favorite fighter is exposed forbeing a cheat... now testing cheater is not good for the sport...

I imagine it would. I think it effects everything, wouldn't it? I don't really know how unions or associations work when it comes to sports.

Busting Overeem and Vitor is needed for the sport, we need to catch the cheater... Now the testing is more accurate and catch fighters off guard... Everybody favorite fighter is exposed forbeing a cheat... now testing cheater is not good for the sport...

It's fine people who stream fights but not for fans who book flights, hotels and tickets...only to have a WMMA fight as the main event instead of JBJ vs Cormier.

Agreed....but the question is how does a fighters union, if implemented, effect testing processes and penalties?

Of course a fighter's union would try to undermine drug testing. Not only are most athletes worried about USADA, but they don't like the inconveniences integral to proper testing.

It's fine people who stream fights but not for fans who book flights, hotels and tickets...only to have a WMMA fight as the main event instead of JBJ vs Cormier.
I hear you but....If you book plane, hotel and purchase a ticket to a World Series game and it happens to get rained out do you blame mother nature?

Not trying to be a smart ass, but that's the risk you take. There are no guarantees....check the ticket, I'm sure it says promotion is not responsible for changes.

sorry to say, but thats your bad - cards are subject to change and there have been a ton of last minute changes - if you book a flight and buy a ticket, you should understand that the card could change and potentially suck and you're taking that risk - you shoul d just be happy to go on vacatoin and enjoy - if you're dead set on watching a certain fight and its cancellation will ruin your trip, then its your bad for planning it in the first place

you need to be careful how you spend money w the ufc, otherwise its no ones fault but your own - not trying to be a dck, but just reality - its your bad for getting suckered into doing all that expecting a certain fight to go down

The union members have to agree on their agenda first before negotiating with the UFC. If they decide that they want USDASA violations to be just a slap on the wrist, they can ask for that. But within the group itself, you have fighters who do not use and have never used and who would want stricter penalties. On the other hand, you have fighters who have no problem using and do want the slap on the wrist approach to discipline. So yes, a union will definitely have an effect on USADA testing.

I think it was the MLB players union that pushed for marijuana not being penalized. It could work in MMA but its kinda sketchy to advocate for lesser PEDs tests and reduced penalties.

I hear you but....If you book plane, hotel and purchase a ticket to a World Series game and it happens to get rained out do you blame mother nature?

Not trying to be a smart ass, but that's the risk you take. There are no guarantees....check the ticket, I'm sure it says promotion is not responsible for changes.
Much like wrestling I'm sure it says card subject to change. Sometimes they adverstise someone and they don't show up. Its just a b.s. way for the promotion to cover it's ass I'm case things get changed last second. Which they did in the case of jbj and Cormier.

if the union goes after USADA they lose all credibility and public support.

if the union goes after USADA they lose all credibility and public support.
Who loses credibility and public support, USADA?

Remember they came in late with Brock's test results....so their credibility could be questioned. I'm not saying I question their credibility and I agree they are cleaning up the sport, but at the same time it's not a matter of the union "going after" USADA, it's the language in a union contract protecting a fighter from errors by USADA. Also, the matter of fighters "checking in" daily on where the are so USADA can administer a test if their name is drawn. Sorry but don't bother me when on my honeymoon in Fiji.

Who loses credibility and public support, USADA?

Remember they came in late with Brock's test results....so their credibility could be questioned. I'm not saying I question their credibility and I agree they are cleaning up the sport, but at the same time it's not a matter of the union "going after" USADA, it's the language in a union contract protecting a fighter from errors by USADA. Also, the matter of fighters "checking in" daily on where the are so USADA can administer a test if their name is drawn. Sorry but don't bother me when on my honeymoon in Fiji.

the union loses credibility. the union should be looking for better pay, healthcare, policies, etc etc. no clean fighter should have a problem with USADA. you get tested a few times a year, takes a half hour maybe. a union of athletes in a sport rampant with PEDS campaigning to relax testing regimes doesn't make fighters look good.

It's fine people who stream fights but not for fans who book flights, hotels and tickets...only to have a MMA fight as the main event instead of JBJ vs Cormier.
Then it is to the UFC to reimburse the fans, I mean according to the law, when you purchase something, you actually sign a contract to pay for a said service... If the other party fail to deliver the service, they have to reimburse the buyer... Fans paid for Jones-Cormier, UFC did not deliver, if the fans sue the UFC, this organisation is in a world of trouble...
They need to be tougher on the cheater, like banned for life and give their purse to the other fighter (in case of a lesnar-hunt), by being tough, few will risk cheating believe me

the union loses credibility. the union should be looking for better pay, healthcare, policies, etc etc. no clean fighter should have a problem with USADA. you get tested a few times a year, takes a half hour maybe. a union of athletes in a sport rampant with PEDS campaigning to relax testing regimes doesn't make fighters look good.
Valid point....but remember unions are a business and for as much as they want you to believe they are looking out for their "brother" members, they make deals behind the curtain with the business owners and the money is top of mind. Believe me, they could care less about credibility.

Honestly I'm no expert on the details, but I feel in general a group is more powerful than several individuals. Some things may be banned that from a fighters perspective aren't viewed as legitimate.

Last edited:
Doesnt matter... Nevada athletic commission penaltie are now the same as USADA penalties (actually in some cases harsher)

So even if the UFC left USADA completely, they would still get 2 year bans from Nevada :D

Besides, if fighters turn around and say "we dont want drug testing" how does that make them look...

Do you really think all the fighters are anti-usada? Fans might be, media might be, the fighters that caught certainly are, but you really think all the fighters are against it? Not a chance.

I actually really hope this union happens. It's the first domino in a long line of important changes that ends with Athletic Commissions being obsolete.

Remember they came in late with Brock's test results...

No.. they didnt..

The turnaround on Brocks samples was normal, if anything it was actually pretty quick.

Then it is to the UFC to reimburse the fans, I mean according to the law, when you purchase something, you actually sign a contract to pay for a said service... If the other party fail to deliver the service, they have to reimburse the buyer... Fans paid for Jones-Cormier, UFC did not deliver, if the fans sue the UFC, this organisation is in a world of trouble...
They need to be tougher on the cheater, like banned for life and give their purse to the other fighter (in case of a lesnar-hunt), by being tough, few will risk cheating believe me

That's why it even says when you buy the ticket, cards are subject to change.

Back