Does a fighter's "legacy" hold any actual value?

MMA is a niche-pseudo sport that is dangerously close to WWE territory. It's a freak show circus act.

Outside of Shertards and hardcore fans who really cares about a fighter's "legacy"?

Yet fighters seem to take It so seriously.

It's not a respected legitimate sport to begin with by the mainstream. Hence any legacy isn't likely to be respected.

Even top fighters will be forgotten and legacy's/GOATs etc will just be something we debate on sherdog.
I dont know, if you want to remember your career or have loved ones look at your career in a positive way it might matter. If you want to sell memorabilia it would also help

Nope, which is why you have people like Bisping and now Cormier who have gone from legacy to 100% money

If you look at how carefully I guy like Georges St. Pierre has crafted his personal brand, I think it is pretty difficult to deny the value of legacy.

When you look at how a fighter like Ken Shamrock managed his legacy as a pioneer in this sport, you can see a blueprint for how not to do it. Guys like Fedor, GSP, and Cormier will be able to leverage their legacy for opportunities that exist well beyond the confines the Octagon. So, yes, a fighter's legacy holds a great deal of value.

Monetary value? No. Sentimental value? Yes.

Legacy doesn’t mean shit. Anderson will be remembered for his matrix KOs, not losing and popping for steroids twice when he got old. If legacy mattered at all then mma fans would shun Anderson and call him a cheating phony, but nobody does because who gives a fuck? It’s mma and he used to have neat knockouts

Back