Does a fighter develop a glass/granite chin over time or is it genetics?

ClueChap

don't let the belt fool ya boi
@Orange
Reaction score
srs question I mean are people unable to control how strong their chin is? I mean I know a chin can get weaker over time, Michael bisping is a prime example. By this I basically mean how likely they are to be knocked out or rocked. I’m intrigued to see what people think because I feel like it’s something you just can’t control, if you have a strong chin you’re lucky & if you have a glass chin you’re unlucky, but do you think it it can improve? Stupid question but humour me pls I’m having a debate

Natural trait, you either have it or you don’t. Good defensive habits and techniques can be taught but a granite chin is just something your blessed with if your lucky lol.

Both you can born with a glass chin and you can develop a glass chin after too many concussions

Natural trait, you either have it or you don’t.
I kinda assumed that, cause I mean like overeems chin never improved. I guess it can only get weaker over time

Both you can born with a glass chin and you can develop a glass chin after too many concussions
Hm I guess. Getting knocked out renders you more susceptible to getting knocked out again. Makes sense

You don't developed a granite chin, you just get better at defending or rolling with shots.

You could develop a glass chin after too much trauma though, if you relied on it and always took shots at full force.

If you work out your neck, you'll never be KOed.

5vn1ZrS.gif

You don't developed a granite chin, you just get better at defending or rolling with shots.

You could develop a glass chin after too much trauma though, if you relied on it and always took shots at full force.
Yeah that makes sense tbf, turn a well placed shot into a glancing shot with good head movement, & take less damage

Both man. Khabib should be called the Eastern Bloc because of his giant head. Then again even Bigfoot lost his chin eventually.

I think the structure of your face generally determines how well you can take a punch, if you take the technique out of it.

Last edited:
I have eaten thousands of cheeseburgers, chewing makes your jaw stronger, my jaw is currently better than prime hendo's

I think the structure of your face general determines how well you can take a punch, if you take the technique out of it.
That’s so true, feel like people more thinner heads & protruding China can get their chin caught so flush if they leave it exposed, that’s when they’re head snaps too fast for them conceive, then they lose consciousness

Don’t you think this kinda proves that certain aspects of a fighter can not be learned. Some things are just genetics & in that respect they’re lucky.

I have eaten thousands of cheeseburgers, chewing makes your jaw stronger, my jaw is currently better than prime hendo's
I find it hard to believe you have consumed more cheeseburgers than me my friend. I’m one of those skinny guys that can eat like a pig that has been starved for a week. The awesome musculaturical mandible that is my jaw would have you shaking in your boots at the beef. The gurth. The malice. Just saying man. Cheeseburgers r lyf

Hm I guess. Getting knocked out renders you more susceptible to getting knocked out again. Makes sense
You bet. There are many examples of fighters in the UFC that have lost their great chins over the years. Chuck and Anderson come mind.

I say it's a bit of both, alot of the time it depends on how you react to the punch, do you roll with it? Do you tense your neck muscles and brace for impact? How fast do you react?
Also it seems like everytime you get ko'd it's easier than the last so you can see chins deteriorate over more and more kos.

On the other hand some people just can't take a punch and get slept easily and others you can hit them over the head with a hammer and they eat it and keep moving.

So there's definitely things you can do to improve your chin like workout and build your neck muscles , learn to roll your head with the punch so it doesn't land clean and improve your reaction time.
And there's also things you can do to create a glass chin like get ko'd a bunch.
But some of it comes down to genetics.

Natural trait, you either have it or you don’t. Good defensive habits and techniques can be taught but a granite chin is just something your blessed with if your lucky lol.

“Blessed” Max Holloway has a rock solid chin!!

The neck workouts are very important. But you can't neglect your jaw workout if you really want to have a granite chin.

07115741919206.gif

A+ athlete too

If he trained MMA exclusively and watched a couple seasons of TUF he would be champ within a year

Back