1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Does a belt mean anything anymore?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Bruce Calavera, Aug 11, 2010.

1. SonOfZion** Black Belt

i wonder if going to bible study class speeds along the process?? lol guess ill never find out.

2. lethalazn Purple Belt

preferably behind you, with both hooks sunk in
    (Rolling Performance)-(Physical Attributes (i.e. Strength, Speed, Explosiveness, Weight)="Technical Ability" which supposedly=belt level

3. Thorpedo Orange Belt

In our gym i feel the belt ranks are respected without a doubt, the last 4 guys who got their blue where a considerable distance from the rest of the white belts and always put you in bad spots etc.

Now the most striped white belts are having much more competitive rolls with nobody really head and shoulders above the rest.

Blues and purples are the same.

Nobody has a belt they didnt earn

4. MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

Uh no, I think everything you listed is taken into account for promotions.

But different instructors have weigh things differently for different people who have different goals.

That's why there's subjectivity and variation.

Also, basing your conclusions off Sherdog threads is a bad idea. The only people making threads about belts are white belts or newbie blues who are wondering what they have to do to get to purple.

You don't see three or four stripe blues making "why haven't i gotten my purple yet" threads every week. You certainly don't see purples making "where's my brown belt" threads.

5. Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

This is why, even though it costs more (to go to seminars, fly the guy in, etc), I somewhat favor only experienced black belts giving out belts (certainly above blue). It cuts down on a lot of this. I train at an affiliate school (though my teacher is a BB), but I've only ever seen him give out one blue belt and that was to a guy who would never, ever go to a promotion seminar or really even care about being promoted.

I got my blue belt from a 7th degree black belt under Alvaro Mansur, I don't have any doubts about its legitimacy (plus I compete with some success). Frankly, when I roll or fight a guy who doesn't deserve his belt, it just makes my life easier.

6. brollikk Green Belt

I agree. Only white/newb blues make posts like this and gloat on the internet about how they don't care about belts (of course, because they aren't high ranking anyways so its better that way right?) lols.

Anyways, bjj whether you want to believe it or not, has the overall highest standards for belts among any martial art.

You do have crappy academies like East/West martial arts giving out brown belts to scrubs who would be a blue belt at best at other academies, but for the most part, the belts are generally hard to get. It's a good thing.

7. crosensation White Belt

I wouldnt say it does not matter but I would say that criteria of awarding belts varies tremendously from a place to place.

8. Rod1 Titanium Belt

Depends on the art and who is giving them.

Sure the BB in BJJ is hard to get, but for the most part, that's the last rank you "earn" from there is just about paying your membership.

9. Rod1 Titanium Belt

Yes, everyone who doesnt agrees with me, its obviously jealous.

Eventually the sport will outgrow belts, right now? it needs them to keep its integrity.

10. lechien Gold Belt

not sure what you meant in the last sentence.

Are you saying that degrees on a BJJ BB is just about sending your annual check to the IBJJF?

11. FollowYourBliss Yellow Belt

i dont think that asking what the average time for each belt is online is bad. it gives the user a goal and a timeframe for them to judge their current skill level and if they're on schedule.

but once they start whining about belts it just gets ridiculous.

12. Rod1 Titanium Belt

International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

Judo dan grades depend on the particular nation governing body, some governing bodies give it too easily, some too hard.

13. lechien Gold Belt

So I take it that is a yes from you.

14. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Ummm....I thought it was. Seriously.

15. lechien Gold Belt

It is. I just wanted to see what Rod1 was going to reply.

16. redaxe Silver Belt

It didn't used to be, but apparently it is now.

I doubt someone like Rickson or Relson or Pedro Sauer sends an annual check to the IBJJF, though. They probably don't give a flying f*** if the IBJJF recognizes their degree rankings or not.

17. lechien Gold Belt

You only send your annual check if you want to put the IBJJF certificate on your wall.

Otherwise, just add another stripe on your BB.

The only problem lies with teaching students and getting their BB certificate endorsed by a second degree BB.

If I was to teach, I will need to keep sending my annual fees until I get second degree or get someone else to endorse my student BB IBJJF certificate/card.

18. Kori Yellow Belt

My school is royce gracie affiliate. My instructor is royce gracie brown belt. im royce gracie white belt with 2 stripes :), when i get my blue, royce himself will give me my belt.

19. Kori Yellow Belt

i have no clue how that works lol, but royce sent the annual fee to my school too and i didnt pay for it. i didnt have that kind of money, all my money was going for training which is 175 bucks a month

20. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Nah. You gotta renew your IBJJF black belt membership card every year to count. If you don't pay the year doesn't count. I'm sure if you got clout they will be lenient with the exact payment, but you are supposed to pay the fee every year to keep prove your dedication to the sport.

when I say sport, I mean IBJJF.