Do you wish UFC did tournaments and why don't they

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by theincognito, Jun 2, 2014.

1. theincognito

theincognito Brown Belt

And I mean like K-1 did every year to name champions, not how Bellator does. That'd be so exciting and make UFC bigger than ever if you ask me.

2. Lead

Lead /Led/ Staff Member Senior Moderator

TUF is where they do tournaments.

Flyweight has an intial 4-man tournament for first champ.

Women's stawweight? will have a tournament through TUF to crown a champion.

You don't want to do them all the time because it uses up a lot of match ups quickly and everyone but one person will have a loss at the end of it.

3. SammyPops

SammyPops Gold Belt

a 4 man one night tourney a la pride would be epic

4. RoscoeRufus

RoscoeRufus Lineal Pootie Tang Belt Champion

seems like a good idea, but UFC is already having shitty luck with injuries and scheduling as it is

5. the ambush

the ambush Red Belt

The UFC did use 4 fighter tournament brackets around 2007-09 but never officially announced them. The winner became the #1 contender.

[​IMG]

I would love a 185 lb tournament. The talent pool in that weight class hasn't been this deep in years.

6. theincognito

theincognito Brown Belt

16 man tournaments. To me, it'd be more exciting.

hold qualifying matches throughout the year to find 8 new guys for the next years tournament, but also keep the most impressive 8 from the previous year. Rematches would not have to be too common.

7. obroin

obroin Orange Belt

Tournaments are cool, but too many things have to go right for them to be successful.

Hell, the last time we saw a tournament in the UFC, we saw one thing that could go wrong. MM and McCall fought to a draw, and it threw everything off. Yeah, I know that was a fluke because there should have been a 4th round, but a lot more can get screwed up. Injuries and timing of matchups can delay the whole tournament. Plus what if someone wins, but has to back out due to an injury? Then you get guys getting added in without having to "earn" their way through the opening rounds. It's a thousand times harder logistically to get a tournament to go smoothly.

Plus. how do champions work into the mix? Are tournament winners separate from the championship, and champions don't have to compete? Then is the tournament just for bragging rights?

Do tourny winners become the number 1 contender? If so, then the champion has to sit on the shelf for months waiting for a fight.

If the champion fights in the tournament, does he put his belt on the line in every fight, or are they non-title fights? If they're non title fights, then whats the point of the tournament? And if they're all title fights...then what's the point of the tournament? Whoever beats the champ, at any round, is then the champion.

Plus, and I have no source to back this up, I believe I have read that you would have to make some weird adjustments in the rules in order to have a one night tournament. Something about 5 rounds being the max a fighter can fight in one night with the commission. So if you had a four man tournament, the opening fights would all be 2 rounders, and the final a 3 rounder. For 8 man, you would have 1-1-3. In any case, you wouldn't be having championship length fights, which throws a few wrenches in there.

They would be awesome, but the UFC is already trying to put on a million shows across the world, and I doubt they would ever be able to logistically schedule 8-16 fighters into a tournament smoothly.

8. osudude

osudude Red Belt

One night tournaments will never be sanctioned, at least in the US.

9. SylarNY

SylarNY Orange Belt

Because it works so well for Bellator?

10. Dramacydal

Dramacydal Red Belt

They are awesome, but as other people have said - so much can go wrong.

Remember Steve Jennum winning UFC 3 after winning only one fight?

11. Lethal_Striker

Lethal_Striker Silver Belt

So you're basically asking the UFC champions to defend their belts less often they already do?

12. DezWalker

DezWalker MMA Stats geek

I've said for years now that they should be taking a cue from Bellator and using the FOX shows as tournaments to create title challengers for matches that would be on PPV.

January, you have four opening round matches.

April, you have the 2 semi-finals matches and also have 2 semi-finals matches for a mini-tournament.

July, you have the 2 finals matches and you also have 2 opening round matches in another tourney.

Etc...This gives the top contenders TV time to get people to know them. Theoretically there would be far more interest in the title fights when they get to them.

If a guy gets injured and can't advance, they get a bye into the next tourney they do in that weight class.

13. theincognito

theincognito Brown Belt

Draws = extension round. The DJ/McCall situation would be very rare but if it happened, extension round at the next possible event.

Injuries = side tournaments for replacements.

The winner of the tournament would be the champion. Just like any other sport. Then he would go back into the tournament the next year to try and repeat.

The tournament would be throughout the year, not one night.

They could still do as many shows - side tournaments, qualifying matches, etc.

14. waldywaldy

waldywaldy lol motherfuckers

Oh really

15. obroin

obroin Orange Belt

I acknowledged the MM/McCall situation was weird, I was using it as an example of how tournaments are subject to a lot of weird things that can't necessarily be controlled.

While I understand the logic of alternate bouts, having a situation like Jennum winning UFC 3 as another poster mentioned destroys the meaning of the tournament. What if some guy made it to the final as an injury replacement fighting cans, whereas the other guy in the final had to fight the best in the world? It's not really a fair comparison.

And yes, they could do a ton of shows, what I meant was would all the fights of one round of the tournament be on one card? So you have to have all the opening rounds on one card, quarters the next, semi's after that, and then the final. Getting all of those starts to align, considering fighter contracts and locations of fights, and injury timings could be difficult, but not impossible. However, if the tournament rounds were not held on the same night, but rather within the same period of time, then things get wonky.

Basically, given fighter contracts and demands, locations, the need to have solid fights on every card (which tournaments would suck a lot of talent onto one card...might be good for PPV) and injury timings, there are too many variables going on to get a tournament to go smoothly.

Plus, and this might just be me, I like having champion's with the belt. Gives you an attainable person to beat. Plus what if the reining champion wins his round in a tournament, but has to pull out from an injury? The winner of that tournament would be a paper champ.

16. roggg

roggg Brown Belt

Tourneys were cool in the pre-regulation era of MMA, but with athletic commissions and sanctioning it's no longer a good idea. They take too long to play out, and the possibility of injuries is too high. They are from a by-gone era.

17. osudude

osudude Red Belt

Wow, struck me stupid. I wasn't expecting that.

They did water the preliminary fights down a bit with no elbows, but still.

18. BrazilianDude

BrazilianDude Gold Belt

I wish they did a grappling tournament once a year. They could invite some big names too, like Marcelo Garcia.

19. SirDiddymus

SirDiddymus Banned Banned

8 man open weight would be insane

Bones
    Gustafsson
    Cain
    Jds
    DC
    xxxxx
    xxxxx
    xxxxx

20. KarateKickbox22