"Do you want to continue?"

Possibly. Case by case is probably the logical answer. Did Yan do it maliciously? I think you can make a case for this distinction segregating whether or not the title switches. Either way, it’s obviously Yan’s fault but my point wasn’t really to debate the semantics of the final decision, but rather: with the way the rules are set up, fighters are possibly encouraged to do a bit of acting. But at the same time, I guess you have to be cognizant of where your strikes land at all times, but fouls are inevitable.
I admit i have noticed a few milking here and there, Aljo and then like a week later a girl got barely feet-slapped by Markos and she milked it HARD, like run over by a bus hard lol, a guy did something similar against Eddie Alvarez in ONE FC around the same weeks, considering the sport has been the same for years it isnt that bad that requires a rule change to prevent "acting" on some fighters, Diego Sanchez didnt act against Pereira, he simply said "was it illegal? then i cant continue", and i dont blame him, he doubled his purse al thanks to a knee to the head, that actually cut him, it was a good one but he wasnt KTFO'd by it, and neither he acted like it.

Sterling was acting a bit but I cant blame him getting hit with an illegal knee and any chance of winning getting thrown out the window because of it.
Not a popular opinion but I agree -- the only thing is that I don't really feel he needed to act to get the DQ win. In any case, I like Sterling. I like Yan too -- can't wait for the rematch.

Lets be real, some of those stoppages can be disingenuous..

Koschek-faking-injury.gif
I don't blame Koscheck for that either; he took advantage of an incredibly stupid move by Daly.

Last edited:
The worst was the one where Struve had been kicked in the groin multiple times, and then the ref (i want to say miragliotta?) asked if he wanted to continue or have the fight go to nc/dq. “You’ve probably won the first two rounds” (not his place to say at all). Struve then goes on to continue and gets ko’d in the 3rd.

The way in which nc vs dq is given out at the end of the fight is super annoying as well - it just seems like the ref arbitrarily decides.

What about taking illegal eyepokes...illegal nutshots....illegal toe's in fences? It's gotta be one way or the other. Should be either all or none.
I think an immediate point deduction for any infraction is the best compromise regardless of intent.
if a doctor says the eye poke is bad enough, then yeah. i think that should be instant dq too, otherwise immediate point deduction. but the problem with the knee is that it can KO you.

Yan screwed Yan. It's hard to hate on Aljo who made the best decision for themselves.

Only the fighter truly knows how damaged they are by an illegal blow, I think giving them the opportunity for input is the ethical thing rather than taking it out of their hands entirely.
compelling people to choose something unreasonable over something reasonable doesn't seem ethical to me. in any case, fighters simply don't decide when fighting begins or end (unless they submit or forfeit.) it's the responsibility of the organization to tell them when to begin attacking their opponent and when to stop. it's only this one stupid situation where that common sense logic is thrown out of the window and the athletic commission insanely asks the fighter whether the fight should go on.

compelling people to choose something unreasonable over something reasonable doesn't seem ethical to me. in any case, fighters simply don't decide when fighting begins or end (unless they submit or forfeit.) it's the responsibility of the organization to tell them when to begin attacking their opponent and when to stop. it's only this one stupid situation where that common sense logic is thrown out of the window and the athletic commission insanely asks the fighter whether the fight should go on.

The thing you're missing, and why you're wrong, is this question is only asked (or, rather, the response is only taken into consideration) if the referee and/or physician at ringside determine that they have no reason to stop the fight independently. Their decision is already made, so they are giving the fighter the opportunity for subjective input in case the fighter thinks they cannot continue due to something a quick physical examination cannot find.

Please see my username and act accordingly.

The thing you're missing, and why you're wrong, is this question is only asked (or, rather, the response is only taken into consideration) if the referee and/or physician at ringside determine that they have no reason to stop the fight independently. Their decision is already made, so they are giving the fighter the opportunity for subjective input in case the fighter thinks they cannot continue due to something a quick physical examination cannot find.

Please see my username and act accordingly.
And what you're missing is that they win if they don't continue. THAT decision was also already made. So what you're actually putting in the fighters hands is the option to continue, take more damage, and potentially lose, or to simply win the fight. Why should fighters be put in a situation where the only result from picking the best option is public humiliation and the de-legitimizing of their worth as fighters?

How are you not seeing the dilemma?

At least he didn't go the Big Dan route, and coach the fighter on how he was doing in relation to whether he should continue.

I admit i have noticed a few milking here and there, Aljo and then like a week later a girl got barely feet-slapped by Markos and she milked it HARD, like run over by a bus hard lol, a guy did something similar against Eddie Alvarez in ONE FC around the same weeks, considering the sport has been the same for years it isnt that bad that requires a rule change to prevent "acting" on some fighters, Diego Sanchez didnt act against Pereira, he simply said "was it illegal? then i cant continue", and i dont blame him, he doubled his purse al thanks to a knee to the head, that actually cut him, it was a good one but he wasnt KTFO'd by it, and neither he acted like it.
Diego is a cagey veteran. He may be crazier than a sack of chipmunks, but he's smart enough to take an easy payday and a W whenever he can.

But my point was more about not incentivizing acting in order to obtain a reward. If he weren’t able to win the title, my guess is he would have continued. My proposal would be no change of the title and an automatic rematch. Won’t happen though, obviously.
Well seeing as the UFC can do what it wants with titles, your bad idea is not that far fetched.

I agree that he milked it, but title HAS to switch hands, its the rules and he commited a foul, it shouldnt be up to the fighter, 1 point is ok for a single low blow, for eye poke(s), for fence grabbing, a knee to the head when grounded shouldnt be up for discussion.
The title switches hand for PR reasons, there is no rule that says the title must go to the winner.

The title switches hand for PR reasons, there is no rule that says the title must go to the winner.
Im not 100% that its a written rule somewhere, but when the AC sanctions it as a title fight, if they declare a winner then the title switches hands, if the challenger is eligible for it of course.

Im not 100% that its a written rule somewhere, but when the AC sanctions it as a title fight, if they declare a winner then the title switches hands, if the challenger is eligible for it of course.
The UFC controls belts completely. They're stated to be props in the fighter contracts effectively. The AC has no input on that matter. If the UFC decided tomorrow that Jeremey Stephens is their LW champion, then he would be their LW champion.

Decision Point after suffering damage from a knee-to-the-head Foul

1. Victory, Title, Belt, Money, no more punishment or damage -- and notoriety

2. More Punishment, possible loss -- and notoriety

looks like me when i used to call in sick to work lol
Gotta fake it till ya make it when doctors and refs can be against your favor and wanna protect ufcs golden goose so they can get a pay raise or something.. always like that.

Back