Do you want all fighters to get paid more, or only up and coming fighters?

50k minimum show money for all lower tier fighters on undercards should be the standard. They should have performance bonuses for the main and undercard, separate from each other.

I don't necessarily want anybody to get paid more or less. They should get paid what is negotiated and agreed upon.

I assume he meant that was their market value.
I'm not going to pretend I understand the ins and outs nor what market value exactly could be in MMA. I know you know your shit better than me. I definitely want more non-vet fighters to get paid a better wage and it seems like what I have read and kind of understand in the UFC model, there is money that can go to the fighters and not hurt anything other than maybe WME's stock growth/potential at this point and maybe even during the Zuffa era previously. They might have 600 fighters on the roster now but it seems they need them.

I'm not going to pretend I understand the ins and outs nor what market value exactly could be in MMA. I know you know your shit better than me. I definitely want more non-vet fighters to get paid a better wage and it seems like what I have read and kind of understand in the UFC model, there is money that can go to the fighters and not hurt anything other than maybe WME's stock growth/potential at this point and maybe even during the Zuffa era previously. They might have 600 fighters on the roster now but it seems they need them.

They need them, but a lot of the guys at the bottom of the roster are pretty easily interchangeable for fighters outside the UFC who would work for the same price.

I don't really like the pay model.
I liked the original idea of a tournament and the winner gets a huge check and a trophy.

Real fighters fight for glory, doing MMA fights shouldn't be considered a career as such.

But realistically there should be some sort of standard or tier system for pay based on merit. And aside from that say someone like Connor that actually tries to sell fights and does alot of dirty work for the company gets additional pay in a bonus system like attacking the bus =tier-A money and Jones being caught of mic with DC is tier-S.

The UFC should also orheatrate And script pre fight grudges etc so Joanna and other cringe machine's won't have to embarrass themselves.

Every one of them, because if you pay them they are more able to train properly and give us better fights to watch. And better fights, means more viewers, means more money for the UFC. Win win situation.

Searching my own feelings, I think I only want up and coming fighters to get paid more. I don't really care if you are already getting paid $1mil or more per fight. It's really the guys and gals who are not making enough to live on.

As a fan, I feel this is also more inline with my interests. If you pay fighters who already make a lot more, they will just be less incentivized to fight. You'll get more of your big stars sitting out or picking fights. Whereas if you paid up and comers more, they will have more energy to focus on training, which will only increase the quality of the fights.

A million is not that much for a fighter. Remember that most fighters only get to the top for a handful of fights. They make a few million while there, a lot of which goes towards the camp, etc.

Shortly after these fighters fall off. Then they have to support themselves for another 40 years with CTE and chronic pain from whatever injuries they acquired.

50k minimum show money for all lower tier fighters on undercards should be the standard. They should have performance bonuses for the main and undercard, separate from each other.
50 to show and what to win? That's nonsense. Low tier fighters can easily fight 4 times a year and that's 200gs for barely above amateur talent.

I think UFC more or less found its financial balance. The mid tier pay is enough to keep fighters motivated and get to the big leagues. The big leagues payout is good enough that fighters can fight once per year or less.

What do you think happens if the pay is say doubled? Mid tier guys will start earning high tier money. They'll be less motivated and won't fight as often. Double champions' pay and you'll be lucky to see them in the octagon once every 18 months. As cynical as it may sound, we want more fights, not less fights. Well paid fighters won't fight that often.

Also there should be a great analysis from FrankieNYC (RIP!) about low tier pay in UFC. Basically only Reebok/Venum pay is as much as a low tier fighter will be paid in the regionals (or even several times more). And that's just on top of normal pay and win pay. And if a fighter gets to performance of the night... that's a shitload of cash for him/her. UFC is not treating up and comers bad at all. They are paid better than all other promotions and better than boxing. How much a boxing can gets? A thousand bucks to get his brain CTEd by a potential champ?

That would be solid, except promoters arnt paying for every fighter they have contracted, they are only giving monthly salaries to top earning stars like Canelo when he was contracted with Golden Boy, it all sounds good only for the higher end fighters.
Everyone loves to shit on UFC payouts but they make a significant more for lower end fighters novices and amateurs than boxing.
It's not just the Canelo's it's the signings that have a better potential than other fighters. Lots of boxers get that from their starting pro contracts.

Up and coming guys.

Can't fell sorry for fighters making like 200k for a single fight. That's more than 90% of people make in a year.
Want more money? Stop fighting once a year.

An to be honest I don't think people really cry about fighters pay being so low (the top guys).
Is more about the UFC making so much that the fighters could get a bigger piece of the pie, regardless if they deserve it or not.

I honestly don't care what fighters get paid and that's the truth

There are nurses that work every hour God sends them in awful conditions and struggle to get a rise, so I'm not bothered about fighters

They chose their own path and it's not like they are making peanuts

I want all fighters, at the very least in the top organizations, to earn enough money so that they never even have to think about getting a second job.

I think the main thing fans and I'd assume most fighters want to see changed is....

- If you make it to the UFC you shouldn't have to have a job to support your MMA career. Whatever that number is....maybe a 3 fight deal worth 25K/25k you win you move up 5K you lose you stay at the same level and they'll give you 3 fights in like 12 or 14 months guaranteed or the contract ends or freezes in case of injury. Maybe a 20K bonus to start also.

- Escalators for being in the main or co main events on cards.

- Seat at the table when it comes to decisions that affect fighters bottom line. IE: Sponsorship deal, getting a bigger share of it. Just in general a bigger piece of the likeness pie over all.

- I think contracts should only be 3 to 5 fights max and have time limits of when the expire.

I think that would satisfy most fighters and fans.

P.S.: The UFC is in odd place because they understand that once fighters have the financial security they become more and more difficult to deal with. This is a rough sport from the day you enter it. Hard to blame the fighters for not wanting to fight more than they have to. Even boxers that reach the top they usually pull back to twice a year for fights just like the top fighters in MMA do. Probably part of the reason a lot of guys fail out of the NFL after their first or get a nice size second contract but are out of the league three years after they sign that big deal because of their performance. They just lose the drive to be great all to often. The UFC brass just haven't reached that point to understand that is just part of the business. They are still headstrong on...do you want to be a fucking UFC fighter or not. They have a hard time swallowing giving money out with little in return for it, but that is just what happens in sports and you have to accept it and move on.

Don't really give a shit wither way. Not my concern or problem.

Like a stripper - dollars for the dance then done.

Up to them to get what they think they are worth.

One issue...

UFC Contracts: IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Fighters wanting those contracts and willing to undercut each other: IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Or so,....

All of dem, big fights not happening cos of $ is shit, fighters not making enough to live well is shitter.
Most big fight not happening is about fighters no willing to take risk and being Diva's.

Jones(I want 38384848438 dollars) vs Francis
Brook vs Fedor(the whole co promotion thing)
Mm(I will fight Ray borg instead) vs Tj
Gsp(I won't take risk) Vs Anderson (shitty Maia fight)

Andany other

Use your school education and read it properly.

You want to pay losing fighters nothing besides their sponsorship and pay Conor Mcgregor the same as Jennifer Maia if they both were headlining 2 cards.

I can read its just fucking stupid.

Last edited:
I think the main thing fans and I'd assume most fighters want to see changed is....

- If you make it to the UFC you shouldn't have to have a job to support your MMA career. Whatever that number is....maybe a 3 fight deal worth 25K/25k you win you move up 5K you lose you stay at the same level and they'll give you 3 fights in like 12 or 14 months guaranteed or the contract ends or freezes in case of injury. Maybe a 20K bonus to start also.

- Escalators for being in the main or co main events on cards.

- Seat at the table when it comes to decisions that affect fighters bottom line. IE: Sponsorship deal, getting a bigger share of it. Just in general a bigger piece of the likeness pie over all.

- I think contracts should only be 3 to 5 fights max and have time limits of when the expire.

I think that would satisfy most fighters and fans.

P.S.: The UFC is in odd place because they understand that once fighters have the financial security they become more and more difficult to deal with. This is a rough sport from the day you enter it. Hard to blame the fighters for not wanting to fight more than they have to. Even boxers that reach the top they usually pull back to twice a year for fights just like the top fighters in MMA do. Probably part of the reason a lot of guys fail out of the NFL after their first or get a nice size second contract but are out of the league three years after they sign that big deal because of their performance. They just lose the drive to be great all to often. The UFC brass just haven't reached that point to understand that is just part of the business. They are still headstrong on...do you want to be a fucking UFC fighter or not. They have a hard time swallowing giving money out with little in return for it, but that is just what happens in sports and you have to accept it and move on.

It has nothing to do with the Ufc wsntimg to give out more money. The Nfl, Mlb and Nba didnt judt decide hey lets pay our athletes a much larger percentage of revenue than almost any other job. The athletes fought for it over decades. People want Ufc fighters to have the same benefits but its up to them to fight for it.

Back