Do you want all fighters to get paid more, or only up and coming fighters?

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Searching my own feelings, I think I only want up and coming fighters to get paid more. I don't really care if you are already getting paid $1mil or more per fight. It's really the guys and gals who are not making enough to live on.

As a fan, I feel this is also more inline with my interests. If you pay fighters who already make a lot more, they will just be less incentivized to fight. You'll get more of your big stars sitting out or picking fights. Whereas if you paid up and comers more, they will have more energy to focus on training, which will only increase the quality of the fights.

All of dem, big fights not happening cos of $ is shit, fighters not making enough to live well is shitter.

But fighters will always want more money. Isn't it possible that if the norm was that the top fighters were paid less, that the big fights would be more likely to happen?

Searching my own feelings, I think I only want up and coming fighters to get paid more. I don't really care if you are already getting paid $1mil or more per fight. It's really the guys and gals who are not making enough to live on.

As a fan, I feel this is also more inline with my interests. If you pay fighters who already make a lot more, they will just be less incentivized to fight. You'll get more of your big stars sitting out or picking fights. Whereas if you paid up and comers more, they will have more energy to focus on training, which will only increase the quality of the fights.
They need more contracts like boxing where there is also a monthly salary pay on top of fight purses and bonuses. That would fix a lot of issues with living expenses money.

They need more contracts like boxing where there is also a monthly salary pay on top of fight purses and bonuses. That would fix a lot of issues with living expenses money.

I can get behind that.

All of dem, big fights not happening cos of $ is shit, fighters not making enough to live well is shitter.

At least as far as UFC is concerned, definitely don't want to hear about fighters working other jobs or trying to figure out how to afford being able to fight. Or I quit my job to take my chance... Not sure where that can trickle down on lower levels but it's shameful.

However, I also think the big dogs should also make more too

But fighters will always want more money. Isn't it possible that if the norm was that the top fighters were paid less, that the big fights would be more likely to happen?
I don't know, seems Jon Jones being offered less hasn't led to the Francis fight happening... I guess it's complicated as fuck.
I think if less money was paid out in general then we'd see a steep decline in people wanting to do the sport, and the level would decrease hugely.

What ever leads to the best fights and best athletes is the answer.

At least as far as UFC is concerned, definitely don't want to hear about fighters working other jobs or trying to figure out how to afford being able to fight. Or I quit my job to take my chance... Not sure where that can trickle down on lower levels but it's shameful.

But how would you feel if the money was moved from the big dogs to the small guys?

Before people say that's not fair, realize the big guys themselves were small once and were only able to make it big because of the big dogs of their time.

I would want to see top ten specifically 6-10 get paid a little more.

If the UFC is going to say that the fighters who are ranked in top ten are the best in the world, then their fight purses should reflect that.

The paying stars model has a lot to do with up & coming stars, who draw. I'd want all top guys to get paid more, but if there is a NBA-like type of deal going a young Conor gets a similar amount as a young Aldo. The difference in their drawing power makes same pay unrealistic, with managers throwing numbers around.

Increase the pay of big-name draws to encourage them to fight more often. Too many of those fighters only fight once per year.

Decrease the show-and-win money for the rest of the roster. Then increase the total amount paid out as performance bonuses at every event from $200,000 or $300,000 to $1,000,000. The fighter with the best performance of the night could win $500,000. The remainder could be $100,000 bonuses a piece.

With that kind of money up for grabs, there would be significant incentive to fight aggressively and pull off highlight reel moves. The UFC could also use it as marketing by publicizing that there is $1,000,000 paid out as bonuses at every event.

But how would you feel if the money was moved from the big dogs to the small guys?

Before people say that's not fair, realize the big guys themselves were small once and were only able to make it big because of the big dogs of their time.
Personally I don't think it should be an either or. Just watching other sports (NFL) - the very best/important make the most, the rookies and other less well regarded vets make less but in many of those cases that's good money. But what's hard to figure out is that MMA is an individual sport, and the additional income goes to your coaches and camps which are so important too.

No way that these vets and popular fighters should give up anything they've earned.

Or for a non-sport reference say a restaurant manager who finally has worked their way up through the organization put their dues in on the frontlines flipping burgers, they deserve everything but all along the burger flippers have always deserved more too. It's fine to have different paygrades. Having been a burger flipper earlier in life, that's just the way I feel.

UFC cuts at 175 million dollar deal with crypto dot com and none if it goes to the fighters? That's horseshit IMO.

I don't think the fighters making +1mil per fight should get more.

The mid and lower level guys for sure. Everyone in the UFC should make atleast 150k per year with 3 fights.

That would be solid, except promoters arnt paying for every fighter they have contracted, they are only giving monthly salaries to top earning stars like Canelo when he was contracted with Golden Boy, it all sounds good only for the higher end fighters.
Everyone loves to shit on UFC payouts but they make a significant more for lower end fighters novices and amateurs than boxing.

It's interesting that quite a few people have felt that increasing top level fighter pay will cause top levels fighters to fight more. I actually think the opposite. That they already make so much is what allows them to sit out and pick fights. Yes they always ask for more money, but that will be true no matter how much you pay them. If anything, it's that the more they expect they can get + the more they already make, the more they are likely to sit out.

That is, I do not think you will get top fighters to fight more by paying them more. I think you get them to fight more by paying them less and setting an expectation that top fighters cannot make much more than some ceiling.

The Ufc has like 600 fighters man. They certainly need to pay more but the entry level guys making 12/12 are honestly making close to what they should make. Its the elite fighters who get screwed. They are the ones who bring the fans in and make the Ufc money.

Although i would love to see everyones pay guaranteed at the least. No half pay for losses.

Imo one purse + venum sponsorship per fight, purse decreases from main event to the first fight pass opening prelim. Winner takes the purse + sponsorship. Loser just gets the sponsorship.

The Ufc has like 600 fighters man. They certainly need to pay more but the entry level guys making 12/12 are honestly making close to what they should make. Its the elite fighters who get screwed. They are the ones who bring the fans in and make the Ufc money.

Although i would love to see everyones pay guaranteed at the least. No half pay for losses.
You're not wrong and I did say I think the big dogs deserve more too but the biggest thing is I think your last bit is right, no 12/12 but 24K. Injuries are too real in MMA. Camp fees, coaches and training partners and other shit are costly. People who fight for their lives and our entertainment deserve a living wage (more imo). Jaynes betting on himself exemplifies desperation. If a low level fighter gets to their 2-3 fights a year and pulls in 50-70K(USD) plus would be fine with me.

Edit: Did some editing.

You're not wrong and I did say I think the big dogs deserve more too but the biggest thing is I think your last bit is right, no 12/12 but 24K. Injuries are too real in MMA. Camp fees, coaches and training partners and other shit are costly. I don't disagree with the concept but globally UFC is bringing in tons of revenue outside of what we just know in the US. People who fight for their lives and our entertainment deserve a living wage (more imo). Jaynes betting on himself exemplifies desperation. If a low level fighter gets to their 2-3 fights a year and pulls in 50-70K(USD) plus would be fine with me.

I assume he meant that was their market value.

Imo one purse + venum sponsorship per fight, purse decreases from main event to the first fight pass opening prelim. Winner takes the purse + sponsorship. Loser just gets the sponsorship.

Yea this makes no fucking sense

Back