Opinion Do you Vaccine

Vaccine yes or no

• Total voters
I made a post with a cursory glance on the last page, but https://ourworldindata.org/polio#global-decline-of-polio is probably the best source for the raw data. I know it's a little lazy, but I'll say the onus is on you to present the data for the two burdens and how it supports your, contrary, opinion. But before that, I'd like to know, are you saying that the benefits of the vaccine has not outweighed the risks? I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is you are arguing.

My position is that the benefits of the polio vaccine campaign are demonstrably over-stated. It's hard enough to accurately calculate the actual impact of the vaccine program on decreasing polio virus cases due to the issues I posted about initially (seriously, why the hell would they make such a change to diagnosis at the exact time they introduced the vaccine?), however, the data on polio vaccine adverse events is sorely lacking as well (i.e. under-reporting of vaccine side effects is "significant"). For example, one of the few studies that looked into under-reporting of adverse events following vaccination found that around 40% of vaccine-induced polio cases were not recognized (e.g. even if the vaccine led to polio, nobody recognized the vaccine as the culprit). There have been similar patters with different vaccines (e.g. MMR and seizures). All in all, we have very little actual "science" that supports the assertions of vaccine proponents, and that is troubling to me, particularly when these folks want to take away my, and more importantly my kids', heath autonomy.

Back so soon?

I'm telling you where the viruses are coming from. A vaccinated person can travel, get infected and infect all those people that are vaccinated.

That unlucky vaccinated person will always be at risk unless you force vaccinate the entire world or halt all travel.

I already addressed this. If you choose to ignore it, I can't help you.

You want to prevent anyone that hasn't received multiple vaccinations from entering any building.

You expect people to have a copy of their health record on them at all times?

If everyone had a chip with their health record on it, security sensors placed at every entrance can sound the alarm! No need for security guards everywhere! Chip them at birth!

You entirely fabricated this, and reminded me why I was leaving this thread. Enjoy the rest of your day.

People travel all around the world for a variety of reasons. Business, to visit family, to see the sights, etc. People will always travel, it's part of what makes life worth living.

All you have to do in order to be protected from most viruses is get your kid vaccinated. It's so incredibly easy. You seem to be advocating for putting a halt to all travel just so that you don't have to get a shot. Do you understand how bizarre that sounds?

It has never been easier to take care of yourself, yet we seem to have people going out of their way to get themselves and others sick. I think it's a certain type of privilege to feel so safe that you actively seek ways to make yourself and others less safe. It's self-centered in a way that I cannot even begin to relate to.

You provide your vaccination record to the school to show that your shots are updated. You went to school right? You don't remember any of this?

@Seano your daughter is currently enrolled in a grade school. Can you explain the vaccination requirements and how you provide that documentation to the school?
I can't really remember. I know we had to get certain vaccines and boosters for her to be in school. I don't recall if we had to prove it or not, honestly. I believe school nurses have access to all that.

But how do you know what they consumed? How do you know what's healthy and what isn't? And I'm not just taking about nutrition here. I think you know where I'm getting at.
I see what you're getting at. Those who are supposedly telling us what's healthy are also the bad guy in my scenario. Well, nutrition is health imo. Health is also a healthy body, inside and out so what we consume in every way contributes to our health, including reading sherdog, and the cheeseburgers we suck down, etc... To be healthy we have to be conscious of what we're consuming and why...

We have an idea of what our specific ancestors ate because it grows in the region they're from and the region in which we were "made". Ideally we would forage and consume that which we can procure within([g] *edit) a few miles of where we are.

We also have to be exposed to various challenges which in turn makes us stronger both of mind and immune system. Challenges like illness and germs and alternative perspective, etc...

Humans are extremely resilient and can handle an aweful lot but to continue to blindly abuse and misuse our bodies will lead to someone else taking over responsibility, "they're" actively attempting it at all times and we'd be much better off if we took responsibility for ourselves...

Last edited:
I already addressed this. If you choose to ignore reality, I can't help you.

No you didn't, you refused to answer so I did for you.

You're putting yourself at risk by not getting vaccinated. That unlucky vaccinated person will always be at risk unless you halt all travel.

You entirely fabricated this, and reminded me why I was leaving this thread. Enjoy the rest of your day.

"But if you choose not be vaccinated, you need to accept the fact that you may not be able to do certain things."

Safe to assume this would go well beyond schools?

My position is that the benefits of the polio vaccine campaign are demonstrably over-stated. It's hard enough to accurately calculate the actual impact of the vaccine program on decreasing polio virus cases due to the issues I posted about initially (seriously, why the hell would they make such a change to diagnosis at the exact time they introduced the vaccine?), however, the data on polio vaccine adverse events is sorely lacking as well (i.e. under-reporting of vaccine side effects is "significant"). For example, one of the few studies that looked into under-reporting of adverse events following vaccination found that around 40% of vaccine-induced polio cases were not recognized (e.g. even if the vaccine led to polio, nobody recognized the vaccine as the culprit). There have been similar patters with different vaccines (e.g. MMR and seizures). All in all, we have very little actual "science" that supports the assertions of vaccine proponents, and that is troubling to me, particularly when these folks want to take away my, and more importantly my kids', heath autonomy.
That's just not really a strong enough argument in my opinion. So you're saying that the benefits are over-stated, but you're not committing to saying that the benefits does not outweigh the risks. At that point you're not saying it's not the right choice, just that it isn't a perfect choice. You speak to the evidence but you practically didn't present any, and resorted to aspersions about conspiracies. I assume the CDC is a viable source, considering you qouted it earlier. Although primary sources are always the best place to look, even if they themselves can have faults and biases.

Anyway, regarding your initial point that they changed the definition coinciding with the vaccine. I'm not saying it isn't true, but can you source when, how, why? Instead of instantly jumping to conspiracies, maybe there is something viable there.

I see what you're getting at. Those who are supposedly telling us what's healthy are also the bad guy in my scenario. Well, nutrition is health imo. Health is also a healthy body, inside and out so what we consume in every way contributes to our health, including reading sherdog, and the cheeseburgers we suck down, etc... To be healthy we have to be conscious of what we're consuming and why...

We have an idea of what our specific ancestors ate because it grows in the region they're from and the region in which we were "made". Ideally we would forage and consume that which we can procure withing a few miles of where we are.

We also have to be exposed to various challenges which in turn makes us stronger both of mind and immune system. Challenges like illness and germs and alternative perspective, etc...

Humans are extremely resilient and can handle an aweful lot but to continue to blindly abuse and misuse our bodies will lead to someone else taking over responsibility, "they're" actively attempting it at all times and we'd be much better off if we took responsibility for ourselves...
Exactly what I was getting at. Your grasp on what is healthy and what isn't, wouldn't be nearly as refined if not for the countless of researchers and scientist examining these things. Sure, something might feel better or worse intuatively, yet we know that our tastes and senses do not always work that way. Natural doesn't always necessitate better, or more healthy, and in reality it's a hard to quantify what it means. Tuberculosis is natural, infections are natural, vira are natural, dying from small injuries is natural, and so on. Many other deadly and unhealthy things are natural.

You mention that we need to be exposured to vira and germs (and different opinions which I like) to grow stronger and healthy. That's a true premise, to a point. However, vaccines are exactly that. It's the most ingenious way of exposing us to small enough dose that we get immunity, yet don't bear the full force of the disease. Gems and vira have killed billions of people throughout history, and weakened even more. There's nothing strong about getting, say, a neurological disease like polio. Or being ravaged by the plague. Quite the contrary.

You wouldn't know who ate what either, if it wasn't for research, science and anthropology. What our ancestors ate changed through human history depending on scarcity, geographics, agriculture, tribal relationships, disease, avaliability, war so on. Many of them got sick and died early for various reasons. Just foraging within a few miles would leave millions around the world with nutrition deficiencies, if it was even possible. Many places in food deserts would simply not allow people to survive that way. Even if you're talking about agriculture, which wouldn't be "natural" by hunter gatherer standards.

I guess what I am getting at is twofold. You are informed on history, biology, nutrition and health by the people you are all lumping together and claim are out to get you. It seems like you want it both ways. Secondly, although I understand your point and sympathize with it, natural is a term that requires a lot of context and it doesn't necessitate health. We are on average in many ways, or at least have the option to be, healthier, stronger and more resilient now than people in the past.

Last edited:
...I assume the CDC is a viable source, considering you qouted it earlier. Although primary sources are always the best place to look, even if they themselves can have faults and biases.

Anyway, regarding your initial point that they changed the definition coinciding with the vaccine. I'm not saying it isn't true, but can you source when, how, why? Instead of instantly jumping to conspiracies, maybe there is something viable there.

Here is an article from a vocal vaccine advocate acknowledging the diagnostic change.
https://vaxopedia.org/2018/07/25/th...ecause-they-changed-the-way-it-was-diagnosed/

"The original diagnostic criteria for polio came from the World Health Organization and included:

'Signs and symptoms of nonparalytic poliomyelitis with the addition of partial or complete paralysis of one or more muscle groups, detected on two examinations at least 24 hours apart.”

It changed in 1955 to include residual paralysis 10 to 20 days after onset of illness and again 50 to 70 days after onset.

Why?

'In the past children’s paralysis was often not correctly diagnosed as polio. Stool samples need to be analyzed to be able to distinguish paralytic symptoms from Guillain-Barré Syndrome, transverse myelitis, or traumatic neuritis.'"

You'll also notice that his rebuttal is poorly formulated and raises just as many questions as it "answers."

Also, what's with all the "conspiracy" talk? You mention that twice in your short reply to me, and you might ask why such a benign position (that we don't have data and can't make accurate conclusions) arouses such a strong response... Everything I have stated is verifiable.

Here is an article from a vocal vaccine advocate acknowledging the diagnostic change.
https://vaxopedia.org/2018/07/25/th...ecause-they-changed-the-way-it-was-diagnosed/

"The original diagnostic criteria for polio came from the World Health Organization and included:

'Signs and symptoms of nonparalytic poliomyelitis with the addition of partial or complete paralysis of one or more muscle groups, detected on two examinations at least 24 hours apart.”

It changed in 1955 to include residual paralysis 10 to 20 days after onset of illness and again 50 to 70 days after onset.

Why?

'In the past children’s paralysis was often not correctly diagnosed as polio. Stool samples need to be analyzed to be able to distinguish paralytic symptoms from Guillain-Barré Syndrome, transverse myelitis, or traumatic neuritis.'"

You'll also notice that his rebuttal is poorly formulated and raises just as many questions as it "answers."

Also, what's with all the "conspiracy" talk? You mention that twice in your short reply to me, and you might ask why such a benign position (that we don't have data and can't make accurate conclusions) arouses such a strong response... Everything I have stated is verifiable.
It's not a conspiracy to say that we don't enough data to make accurate conclusions. It's an opinion I don't necessarily agree with, but it's not unreasonable to ask questions. What I labeled as conspiracy is that I thought you were alluding to them changing the definition not based on refining diagnostics (which is an importat part of combatting any disease), but because of some nefarious plot to "pretend" that vaccines help when they don't. If that isn't what you were referring to then I'm sorry.

Is your claim that the reason polio was eradicated is because they changed/corrected the medical definition, not because of the vaccine? Again, it's unclear what exactly it is you are saying.

I do. Had my flu shots ever since the army never had the flu since.

So are you Jenny Mccarthy? Or do you the sensible science thing.

Those are pretty extreme statements (either you get your flu shot each year or you think vaccines cause autism) .

Any chance for middle ground?

It's not a conspiracy to say that we don't enough data to make accurate conclusions. It's an opinion I don't necessarily agree with, but it's not unreasonable to ask questions. What I labeled as conspiracy is that I thought you were alluding to them changing the definition not based on refining diagnostics (which is an importat part of combatting any disease), but because of some nefarious plot to "pretend" that vaccines help when they don't. If that isn't what you were referring to then I'm sorry.

Is your claim that the reason polio was eradicated is because they changed/corrected the medical definition, not because of the vaccine? Again, it's unclear what exactly it is you are saying.

Just to be clear, you DO acknowledge the change in diagnosis, right?

When you lose your license for not following the rules, you still have to pay for roads even though you're not allowed to drive on them. When you are banned from a public park for not following the rules, you still have to pay taxes that fund the park. If you are a felon, you are not allowed to vote, but you still have to pay taxes.

Your choices do not dictate whether or not you pay taxes. You pay your taxes, you follow the rules, and you have access to public spaces. If you refuse to follow rules, you may lose some of the privileges that other people enjoy.

I don't believe you actually disagree with this. I don't think you are actually under the impression that, let's say a child molester who has been banned from public parks, should receive a tax break since they are no longer accessing that public space.

Vaccinations are not 100% effective for 100% of people. The effectiveness of common vaccines varies from 60%-99%. That means that vaccinations significantly (sometimes near entirely) reduce your risk of infection, but there are people who can still become sick even if they have been vaccinated. That can lead to an outbreak, and a public health crisis in a school building with a thousand students in close proximity.

If you kids were not vaccinated and they were allowed to be in school with vaccinated kids (they would typically not be, all 50 states have laws about this), your kids could potentially infect a number of vaccinated kids. Your kids are putting everyone in danger, which is why schools require vaccinations.

You can apply for vaccination waivers in almost every state. But if you are doing so simply because you don't believe they are effective, then you are putting children at risk out of your own blatant stupidity and unwillingness to look at any of the mountain of scientific data supporting the effectiveness of vaccines.
You didn't answer my question about the punishment for refusing to pay taxes. Can't very well send them to prison after you just told them they're too dangerous to be in schools.

Can you get banned from public parks? I've never heard of such a thing. I don't even think child molesters are banned from parks and don't know how that would be enforced if they were. You're talking about convicted criminals, and opting out of flu shots is not a crime.

You didn't answer my question about the punishment for refusing to pay taxes. Can't very well send them to prison after you just told them they're too dangerous to be in schools.

Sure you can. Prisoners are offered medical care, and they actually go to great lengths to convince prisoners to accept vaccinations so that they don't have a health crisis in the prison. If they refuse due to their ignorance and lack of care for the safety of themselves and others, they will still be imprisoned. But you are certainly not avoiding prison by refusing your vaccines, that's a ridiculous notion.

Public schools however, you need your shots, or you need to go through the exemption process that some states offer. I can't believe this is news to you.

Can you get banned from public parks? I've never heard of such a thing. I don't even think child molesters are banned from parks and don't know how that would be enforced if they were. You're talking about convicted criminals, and opting out of flu shots is not a crime.

Yes, people are regularly banned from public parks for a variety of reasons, far less severe than being convicted of a crime. People are issued no-trespass letters for public schools all the time as well. Even if your child attends the school, the Principal can request a no-trespass letter if the parent cannot follow a certain code of conduct in the building. Meaning, if you are cursing and causing a scene in a school and refuse to follow the rules, the school can absolutely ban you from the property even though your child attends the school.

If you don't like the law, write your congressman. But all 50 states agree on this. You need to be vaccinated to go to public school.

Our society needs to have rules to function. Society cannot cater to the dumbest of the dumb, while putting everybody else at risk. If you don't want to vaccinate your kids, I have many concerns about what else you are subjecting them to. But at the very least, you need to be sending them to private school or keeping them at homeschool so that they are not causing issues for everybody else, unless you file for an exemption.

This isn't just me talking, this is the law in all 50 states.

Sure you can. Prisoners are offered medical care, and they actually go to great lengths to convince prisoners to accept vaccinations so that they don't have a health crisis in the prison. If they refuse due to their ignorance and lack of care for the safety of themselves and others, they will still be imprisoned. But you are certainly not avoiding prison by refusing your vaccines, that's a ridiculous notion.

Public schools however, you need your shots, or you need to go through the exemption process that some states offer. I can't believe this is news to you.

Yes, people are regularly banned from public parks for a variety of reasons, far less severe than being convicted of a crime. People are issued no-trespass letters for public schools all the time as well. Even if your child attends the school, the Principal can request a no-trespass letter if the parent cannot follow a certain code of conduct in the building. Meaning, if you are cursing and causing a scene in a school and refuse to follow the rules, the school can absolutely ban you from the property even though your child attends the school.

If you don't like the law, write your congressman. But all 50 states agree on this. You need to be vaccinated to go to public school.

Our society needs to have rules to function. Society cannot cater to the dumbest of the dumb, while putting everybody else at risk. If you don't want to vaccinate your kids, I have many concerns about what else you are subjecting them to. But at the very least, you need to be sending them to private school or keeping them at homeschool.
You still did not answer why it's safe for a person who isn't vaccinated to be in prison but not for an unvaccinated kid to be in a school.

Every state but California, Mississippi and west virginia have religious exemptions and like 20 states have philosophical exemptions.

You still did not answer why it's safe for a person who isn't vaccinated to be in prison but not for an unvaccinated kid to be in a school.

This is a strawman, nobody ever said it was safe. I specifically said they go to great lengths to convince prisoners to take their vaccinations. Why? Because it is not safe for the population if they do not. But they cannot force them, and they do not have the resources to separate them.

If you're in prison and refuse vaccinations, it's just one more terrible and thoughtless decision in a line of terrible decisions you've made.

Every state but California, Mississippi and west virginia have religious exemptions and like 20 states have philosophical exemptions.

I've already said this repeatedly.

You haven't made a single point. It's actually impressive to see somebody argue for so long without having a point. Lol.

I do. Had my flu shots ever since the army never had the flu since.

So are you Jenny Mccarthy? Or do you the sensible science thing.
If you're getting your shot then you dont have to worry about the rest of us since as you say, they cant infect you, or anyone else who is "sensible" and got their shot.

I dont care if people wanna get their shot, I just dont get why the ones who are for it wanna force it on others. If they got theirs then they're good and they should fuck off and let everyone decide for themselves.

If you're getting your shot then you dont have to worry about the rest of us since as you say, they cant infect you, or anyone else who is "sensible" and got their shot.

I dont care if people wanna get their shot, I just dont get why the ones who are for it wanna force it on others. If they got theirs then they're good and they should fuck off and let everyone decide for themselves.

It's not the flu shot that most people care about. You can choose to get it, or you can choose not to get it. It's about 60% effective most years, I believe.

However, people do care when you decide you're not going to vaccinate your kid with the measles vaccine, polio vaccine, etc. You get a small group of people who decide to bypass that and you see what you saw in the orthodox Jewish communities, which is outbreaks of diseases that should be basically irradiated.

https://khn.org/news/why-measles-hits-so-hard-within-n-y-orthodox-jewish-community/
https://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-fourth-measles-case-20190419-story.html

Measles vaccine is about 95% effective. But when you have a few hundred unvaccinated kids with the Measles, suddenly some kids who are vaccinated are going to be at risk also. It's also cruel to subject your child to the Measles when it's so easily vaccinated.

It's not the flu shot that most people care about. You can choose to get it, or you can choose not to get it. It's about 60% effective most years, I believe.

However, people do care when you decide you're not going to vaccinate your kid with the measles vaccine, polio vaccine, etc. You get a small group of people who decide to bypass that and you see what you saw in the orthodox Jewish communities, which is outbreaks of diseases that should be basically irradiated.

https://khn.org/news/why-measles-hits-so-hard-within-n-y-orthodox-jewish-community/
https://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-fourth-measles-case-20190419-story.html

Measles vaccine is about 95% effective. But when you have a few hundred unvaccinated kids with the Measles, suddenly some kids who are vaccinated are going to be at risk also. It's also cruel to subject your child to the Measles when it's so easily vaccinated.

Last edited:
This is a strawman, nobody ever said it was safe. I specifically said they go to great lengths to convince prisoners to take their vaccinations. Why? Because it is not safe for the population if they do not. But they cannot force them, and they do not have the resources to separate them.

If you're in prison and refuse vaccinations, it's just one more terrible and thoughtless decision in a line of terrible decisions you've made.

I've already said this repeatedly.

You haven't made a single point. It's actually impressive to see somebody argue for so long without having a point. Lol.
I guess I mistook your posts for having some point based on your vitriol. Didn't realize you supported exempting those who don't want the injections.

We have a small boy and he is getting all his recommended shots, so I agree with you there.. I thought your question was specific to Covid and whether I am willing to get the vaccine, which I'm not.

I get it for free but i have never done it. I have never caught the flu though. HPV.... thats a different story

Back