Do you use chopsticks when eating Asian food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly yes, sometimes I cheat when I get to the rice, not into the open mouth shovel off the plate trick..

Comfort food yeah I get yeah. Specially Laksa for me I only discovered it actually in 2019 when an online friend from Indonesia told me about it!

She said its one heck of a comfort food when you feel ill. Or stressed out.
You've got galangal, garlic, chili, ginger, turmeric which are all REALLY good for you. No brainer really, I love it.

*like*

I agree that if he elaborated more it would have been more clear what his intention was. Not everybody is equally verbally gifted though, and I try not to hold that against them. I also try not to read too much into seemingly incomplete responses, but rather side with caution and just ask them to elaborate. This way I find a way higher rate of success of understanding an other's point of view. Now of course, in this case, the dude is banned, so that's not an option anymore.

However these days, with all the racial & political tensions, I see people jumping to conclusions a lot more, rather than approaching rationally and cautiously.

Next to verbal skills, not everybody is the most considerate in the way they express themselves or polite, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they mean it in a bad way or in as bad a way as it may sound. In that case I also try to determine what exactly their stance is, instead of immediately condemning them for it.

Besides, turning things into a flame war is, IMO, the least efficient way of getting a point across and possibly getting a person to understand that they are wrong in their opinion or unpleasant/asocial in the way they express themselves. It often just makes things worse.
Also Like**

Great post agree with it all, it's not usually in my nature to do what I did, I think I had rather hastily jumped to call it out because I had those what I thought were factually informative details on the history in the back of my head, then seeing that post and then seeing they are banned kind of encouraged me to throw some shit(made sense in the moment kind of thing).. I shouldn't have.

I appreciate your responses!
<RomeroSalute>

nope, id starve to death.
They have these kids ones in...can't remember the chain sushi place in the UK. They're all the same component.You could start on those, like stabilising wheels on a bike :D

*like*

I agree that if he elaborated more it would have been more clear what his intention was. Not everybody is equally verbally gifted though, and I try not to hold that against them. I also try not to read too much into seemingly incomplete responses, but rather side with caution and just ask them to elaborate. This way I find a way higher success of understanding an other's point of view. Now of course, in this case, the dude is banned, so that's not an option anymore.

However these days, with all the racial & political tensions, I see people jumping to conclusions a lot more, rather than approaching rationally and cautiously.

Next to verbal skills, not everybody is the most considerate in the way they express themselves or polite, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they mean it in a bad way or in as bad a way as it may sound. In that case I also try to determine what exactly their stance is, instead of immediately condemning them for it.

Besides, turning things into a flaming war is, IMO, the least efficient way of getting a point across and possibly getting a person to understand that they are wrong in their opinion or unpleasant/asocial in the way they express themselves. It often just makes things worse.

@Jose Beehive

Hi Guys,

Just to on a tangent about White guys and Chopsticks its interesting for me as A South East Asian ( Pilipino) to see white dudes or blacks specially Americans being depicted in Films ,sitcoms using chopstick when they go "Chinese"

Its like a trope already "Hey bob what do you want for lunch we go Chinese" then you see them in the next cut scene using Chopsticks.

But chopsticks is not part of Filipino culture at all nor the people think its hip to learn how to use one.

But since I was exposed to lots of American TV shows as a kid I always thought its kinda cool white people so good at using Chopsticks while I cant even use one to save my life.

And my mom thinks Chopticks are dumb she eveb sees it as inferior lol.

But as I got older I decided like "Hey if White Muricans can use one maybe me an Asian can learn it too?

Once I got the hang of it I find ordering the more authentic north Asian cousines more statisfying.

No offense to Vietnamese I know you guys are not North Asians but you have good food and you use Chopsticks too from what I know.

@Jose Beehive

Hi Guys,

Just to on a tangent about White guys and Chopsticks its interesting for me as A South East Asian ( Pilipino) to see white dudes or blacks specially Americans being depicted in Films ,sitcoms using chopstick when they go "Chinese"

Its like a trope already "Hey bob what do you want for lunch we go Chinese" then you see them in the next cut scene using Chopsticks.

But chopsticks is not part of Filipino culture at all nor the people think its hip to learn how to use one.

But since I was exposed to lots of American TV shows as a kid I always thought its kinda cool white people so good at using Chopsticks while I cant even use one to save my life.

But as I got older I decided like "Hey if White Muricans can use one maybe me an Asian can learn it too?

Once I got the hang of it I find ordering the more authentic north Asian cousines more statisfying.

No offense to Vietnamese I know you guys are not North Asians but you have good food and you use Chopsticks too from what I know.

Thanks for sharing bud, fascinating insight :)

*Like*

You've got galangal, garlic, chili, ginger, turmeric which are all REALLY good for you. No brainer really, I love it.

The spiciness of the curry soup in "the laksa" is interesting its spicy but it only feeks spicy on your throat once you have swallowed its not like Mexican food spicy that you feel your lips burning ( I love Mexican too )

I guess what drives the spice are the ginger and turmeric instead of purely relying on Chilis.

Also Like**

Great post agree with it all, it's not usually in my nature to do what I did, I think I had rather hastily jumped to call it out because I had those what I thought were factually informative details on the history in the back of my head, then seeing that post and then seeing they are banned kind of encouraged me to throw some shit(made sense in the moment kind of thing).. I shouldn't have.

I appreciate your responses!
<RomeroSalute>

No problem, bud. It's all good! <RomeroSalute>

@Jose Beehive

Hi Guys,

Cool story, bud. No sarcasm Thanks for sharing!

My father is from Indonesia and they don't use them there either. Food is great though. :D

No problem, bud. It's all good! <RomeroSalute>

Cool story, bud. No sarcasm Thanks for sharing!

My father is from Indonesia and they don't use them there either. Food is great though. :D

I want to try Indo Laksa!

Would love to Visit Bandung God willing!

I don't eat either tbh with you. Pho is overrated and sushi does nothing for me... I've eaten whole rolls before and spent a lot of money and left feeling hungry still. Plus raw fish and seaweed suck.

The only Asian food I eat is Thai or Indian, all which are consumable with a fork or knife. I do go to Chinese places once in while but I usually try to avoid them because they usually put too much sugar and crap in their food.
I actually had pad thai for lunch, haven't really had indian food before

I actually had pad thai for lunch, haven't really had indian food before
Do you like curry? It's all I ever get from Thai places. Indian food it's almost unavoidable.

Do you like curry? It's all I ever get from Thai places. Indian food it's almost unavoidable.
Ive had curry mainly chinese style, I usually get pad Thai or some type of noodles. Your tastes are weird

I only chopsticks with sushi and it's basically just to avoid getting wasabi and soy sauce on my hands

Chopsticks are life.
Better for all noodle dishes, and greasy foods in general.

Every so often I'll give it a try. But generally I use a fork and/or spoon.

No. I did a few times when I was stopping in Asia when I was a sailor but even then I would take a fork if they had em

Depends on when and where. I actually just bought 5 pairs for my place that I've been using for ramen. It's a fun way to change up eating. never been able to perfect holding then though. I've even watched videos on proper technique but can't get it 100% right. Goal is to be able to pick up a great of rice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back