Do you use chopsticks when eating Asian food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean either way we'll never really know, I guess they can't know for certain what a spoon looking device is used for from that far back, where as I'm pretty sure theres evidence of these Egyptian spoons being used for food specifically.. I could be wrong... Regardless saying I don't use Chopsticks because i'm white is more stupid than any of this.

I don't think it's that stupid. Lots of white people don't use chopsticks, so I can see the connection. He didn't say you can't/shouldn't use chopsticks if you're white or anything to that extent.

I don't think it's that stupid. Lots of white people don't use chopsticks, so I can see the connection. He didn't say you can't/shouldn't use chopsticks if you're white or anything to that extent.
I suppose, but lot's of any colour of skinned people don't and do use chopsticks, I don't think it's relevant in the slightest, there are thousands of establishments in the West that offer Chopsticks as a default like Wagamama, opting not to is fine obviously, but opting not to because of your skin colour seems a little odd to me.

What Korean food you like.

I like their Noodle they call Chapchae..
I actually made Kimchee from scratch a few months ago. I love all the banchan and Korean BBQ. I made a short rib dish with David Chang's kalbi recipe and I love him but there was far too much sesame oil in it. Give it another go at some point, I do like short ribs in the winter.

I actually made Kimchee from scratch a few months ago. I love all the banchan and Korean BBQ. I made a short rib dish with David Chang's kalbi recipe and I love him but there was far too much sesame oil in it. Give it another go at some point, I do like short ribs in the winter.

I might try the Korean BBQ.

Holy shit why did I just have a feeling of a strange de javu..

Like me talking about Korean food with you.

I suppose, but lot's of any colour of skinned people don't and do use chopsticks, I don't think it's relevant in the slightest, there are thousands of establishments in the West that offer Chopsticks as a default like Wagamama, opting not to is fine obviously, but opting not to because of your skin colour seems a little odd to me.

Maybe, in his mind, because he is white he never was introduced to using them and just prefers to choose what he is used to handling. Not that his skin color determines strictly what he wants to do, or can do. He is also not excluding the possibility of any other race using or not using them. But to be fair if you're Asian, chances are a lot higher that you were introduced to using them at some point.

@ShinkanPo also said yes, because he is Asian. Nobody made a fuss about that and it's basically the same statement, but with a different racial identity and the accompanying conclusion.

No. That’s what the gigantic spoon is for. You slurp the broth from the spoon and when you pick up the noodles with the chopsticks you arrange them on the spoon, pick them up again with the chopsticks so you can put them in your mouth without making a mess.
Nobody considers ramen as soup

Stop trying to lawyer me

I am craving bad for Some hot laksa !
But its like 4am here lulz.
Love Laksa. I really go to town with that, I love making curry paste, and I toast the dried shrimp and dried chillies so it has a bit of a roast flavour. Haven't made it in years, however.

Maybe, in his mind, because he is white he never was introduced to using them and just prefers to choose what he is used to handling. Not that his skin color determines strictly what he wants to do, or can do. He is also not excluding the possibility of any other race using or not using them. But to be fair if you're Asian, chances are a lot higher that you were introduced to using them at some point.

@ShinkanPo also said yes, because he is Asian. Nobody made a fuss about that and it's basically the same statement, but with a different racial identity.

Well perhaps a more detailed post would have helped get that across instead of a blunt 'No.I'm White', I believe it was posted with bad intentions, but I understand your points, perhaps I was a little trigger happy I could be wrong, after seeing some of the posters other posts I assumed it was with negative intent.

Asian people are of course more likely to use Chopsticks because they come from Asia, but they've been around for thousands of years now, like I said there are many occasions were Chopsticks are common place in Western Countries, every time i've bought street food noodles, every time i've ordered Chinese takeaway, almost every Asian restaurant i've been to they have been the default, often you'd have to ask for a fork or spoon to be brought to you, or sometimes they tied your Chopsticks together with a band, ya think the guy went to the staff Sorry I'm white can I have a fork please? or is like just being an ass... My hunch is the latter(With this being Sherdog and all).

Use spoon + chopsticks all the time for noodle soups.

Not uncommon to cook with chopsticks either, since we have the metal ones in our kitchen.

They're really useful as a tool to flip small things that a spatula can be ungainly with.

Like flipping / turning sausages or bacon in a hot pan.

Or dumplings, including pierogis.

Love Laksa. I really go to town with that, I love making curry paste, and I toast the dried shrimp and dried chillies so it has a bit of a roast flavour. Haven't made it in years, however.

That is interesting toasted shrimp.

I might try to learn making Laksa and Ramen.

I cant decide which is closer to my heart I fell inlove with both

Too bad when I visited Malaysia I had a bad case of the shits! So I was not able to food trip!

God willing I will be going to Bandung if I get invited by a Korean/Chinese friend.

So I might get a chance to have Indonesian Laksa,Chinese cousine Korean dishes and since she is also a Japanophile might get good ramen.

That is interesting toasted shrimp.

I might try to learn making Laksa and Ramen.

I cant decide which is closer to my heart I fell inlove with both

Too bad when I visited Malaysia I had a bad case of the shits! So I was not able to food trip!

God willing I will be going to Bandung if I get invited by a Korean/Chinese friend.

So I might get a chance to have Indonesian Laksa,Chinese cousine Korean dishes and since she is also a Japanophile might get good ramen.
Asian soup dishes are the most comforting of anything to me. You get all the senses dealt with in one go. I had a ramen dish the other day which had Spam, a sort of kielbasa and cheese in it which talk about odd, but it was nice.

Well perhaps a more detailed post would have helped get that across instead of a blunt 'No.I'm White', I believe it was posted with bad intentions, but I understand your points, perhaps I was a little trigger happy I could be wrong, after seeing some of the posters other posts I assumed it was with negative intent.

Asian people are of course more likely to use Chopsticks because they come from Asia, but they've been around for thousands of years now, like I said there are many occasions were Chopsticks are common place in Western Countries, every time i've bought street food noodles, every time i've ordered Chinese takeaway, almost every Asian restaurant i've been to they have been the default, often you'd have to ask for a fork or spoon to be brought to you, or sometimes they tied your Chopsticks together with a band, ya think the guy went to the staff Sorry I'm white can I have a fork please? or is like just being an ass... My hunch is the latter.

*like*

I agree that if he elaborated more it would have been more clear what his intention was. Not everybody is equally verbally gifted though, and I try not to hold that against them. I also try not to read too much into seemingly incomplete responses, but rather side with caution and just ask them to elaborate. This way I find a way higher rate of success of understanding an other's point of view. Now of course, in this case, the dude is banned, so that's not an option anymore.

However these days, with all the racial & political tensions, I see people jumping to conclusions a lot more, rather than approaching rationally and cautiously.

Next to verbal skills, not everybody is the most considerate in the way they express themselves or polite, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they mean it in a bad way or in as bad a way as it may sound. In that case I also try to determine what exactly their stance is, instead of immediately condemning them for it.

Besides, turning things into a flame war is, IMO, the least efficient way of getting a point across and possibly getting a person to understand that they are wrong in their opinion or unpleasant/asocial in the way they express themselves. It often just makes things worse.

And a lot of Asians will assume you're not used to eating with chopsticks if you're white, so if you'd say that in a restaurant, chances aren't all that bad that they'd simply agree with you and likely find it funny. Of course that's also depending on your overall demeanor and the individual you're dealing with.

Last edited:
Asian soup dishes are the most comforting of anything to me. You get all the senses dealt with in one go. I had a ramen dish the other day which had Spam, a sort of kielbasa and cheese in it which talk about odd, but it was nice.

Comfort food yeah I get yeah. Specially Laksa for me I only discovered it actually in 2019 when an online friend from Indonesia told me about it!

She said its one heck of a comfort food when you feel ill. Or stressed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back