Do you train with injuries?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by LoRezzz, May 22, 2014.

1. LoRezzz

LoRezzz White Belt

I recently hyperextended my wrist and while not broken, hurts like hell when I bend it back too far (posting) or any strong twisting motion. So I tried to tough it out, put a brace on it, and go train, but it's just at the point where I don't know if it's worth it anymore. Meaning I wonder if I should just wait until it's fully healed (which could take weeks, months I don't know) or just try and just power through it (possibly prolonging it). Just seems like every time I train now, it tweaks in one way or the other and I wonder if it's just pushing it back to square one.

When you guys have these tweener type injuries that aren't that serious but take a long time to heal and cause pain, do you think it's better to tough it out and train through it, or just sit out for a while and let it fully heal before returning?

2. 1neeto

1neeto Blue Belt

Go see a doctor. Some injuries are worse than they feel. With that said, I'm training with a bad back, and bad left shoulder. Just gotta be smart while training and I always tell my rolling partner to not attempt shoulder lock subs on my left shoulder.

3. pharoah21

pharoah21 White Belt

Definitely wait it out. Unless you're a world class fighter, there's just no reason to do that to yourself. Listen to your body and be smart, you can still learn conceptually while waiting to heal.

4. thecatinside

thecatinside White Belt

i think it's always a bad choice to tough it out with injuries. It takes a little bit of patience but it's important to think about whats good for your jj in the longer run. So take a brake from rolling and build on another aspects like your strength and endurance base and drill some new techniques.. I don't know who said it but one should always aim to come back as a stronger and more technical fighter after an injury.

5. McClure

McClure Orange Belt

"Toughing it out" is not the same as training with an injury. You shouldn't train normally while injured, but that doesn't mean you need to stay off the mats.

I've trained with probably dozens of injuries (pulled groin, labrum tear, broken toes/fingers, 10-stitch cut over my eyebrow etc) and each time I've been able to work some aspect of my game.

You can still drill technique, flow roll and spar with limitations. In your case I'd tape my wrist and play a limited/1 hand guard. Don't post or frame with your bad wrist.

Pretty simple unless your'e still trying to roll hard and "win". That's most likely the problem. Not the injury. Good luck

6. rocklos

rocklos White Belt

^^^^What he said

7. Sexy Pants

Sexy Pants Blue Belt

I just had elbow surgery and I love sparring like the next guy but if your injured just do tech and warmups if you have them. Once you feel healed jump back in to full go. That's my plan. My Dr said that's a perfect idea.

8. iKOdMyself

iKOdMyself Blue Belt

Right now I train with an injured elbow. I'm not sure what's wrong, haven't talked to a doctor yet, but it definitely changes the way I train. Falling on my right side for example is more difficult (no hand slapping the tatami) and altogether I have to rely on my weak left arm. I see it as an opportunity to work on the left handed grip, at which I absolutely suck. :icon_chee No real randori though...

9. Sexy Pants

Sexy Pants Blue Belt

What's going on with the elbow? Might be able to help

10. orangeclay

orangeclay Orange Belt

I train around my injuries as long as I am sure I am not re-injuring myself and can modify what I do as needed.

11. iKOdMyself

iKOdMyself Blue Belt

[​IMG]

The pain is in this area. My anatomy knowledge is equal to zero (plus English not being my native language) so it's difficult to explain where exactly it hurts, but it's basically, if I straighten my arm with the thumb pointing up, between the two pointy bits on the underside of the elbow. Sharp pain when any pressure is applied. I can extend it without a problem and even push lightly - yesterday I did some push ups with only slight discomfort. Stupidly I tried even pull ups, but nope, too much strain. Twisting the arm doesn't hurt a lot, but again there's some kind of discomfort. I messed it up around 10 days ago and I imagine the reason is hyperextension due to very hard falls. I iced it for a day or two after that.

12. workinghard72

workinghard72 White Belt

I trained with a labral tear in my left shoulder. I just let the guys know and it was all good we rolled about 60%. I went the Dr. got a few shots ant it's been fine since. Now a month later I'm training full blast again.

13. Sexy Pants

Sexy Pants Blue Belt

Couple things of note.

If your range of motion is effected it is most likely due to what we call bone spurs and loose bodies. Small pieces cartilage tend to be loose bodies.

You should look up tennis elbow and see if your symptoms are similar.

To be honest from what it sounds like to me is either you have a bone bruise or a small fracture which is very common. Also you can look up tricep tendon tear at the elbow. This is pretty common as well.

I wouldn't mess around either. Get an xray.

Let me know how it goes! Good Luck!

14. Kevza

Kevza Blue Belt

Ive had wrist problems for years in weightlifting and then its carried into my martial arts. Seems to easily get hurt boxing, grappling, anything really. Was pretty bad last week and I did train through it but mines seems to come and go within a couple days. If its giving u a lot of problems then just do technique. Theres always ways to work round injuries.

15. esteven

esteven Blue Belt

If you're asking how others handle it in order to decide how to proceed yourself, then . . . No, I always allow adequate recovery of my injuries before getting back on the mats, and I CERTAINLY don't roll until I'm fully healed.

16. SinkOrSwim

SinkOrSwim White Belt

I trained with a torn rotator cuff (after some time off), Just let people I rolled with & my instructor know. the first fer weeks I didnt use my right arm at all (just tucked my hand into my belt.
    Then when I started using it I asked my partners not to shoulder lock that arm, and when it was mostly better I just tapped very early when someone locked the arm up. So for me it was a graded progression.

Now Ive gone and dislocated my left shoulder at the AC joint, no training for another few weeks, lots of time to spend on forums & watching youtube. but as it gets better ill do a similar progression into full training again.

17. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I train while injured only if I feel I can train without making the injury worse. If it's a wrist or finger thing, I train.

18. Spoonman7

Spoonman7 Red Belt

Depends on the severity of the injury, if it is something that can be worked around then I will do so. If it is a serious injury, I will take the time off that is needed.

19. ganssle

ganssle Blue Belt

I try to rest, but BJJ is a drug and I treat it like a drug. I don't feel right if i don't do it, i spend too much money on it, and it's the first thing i think about when I wake up. Just like a junkie doesn't stop wanting a hit when their veins are collapsed, I don't want to stop training when my elbow is sprained.

But to be safe, if you're fiending for Jiu Jitsu and youre too injured to do anything, maybe you should try to show up to class and just absorb the stuff, take notes, talk to your coach, etc. if you need to get your fix.

20. Jonas g33k

Jonas g33k Blue Belt

I've been diagnosed a tendinitis on my shoulder. I felt the pain a few weeks ago and I tried to roll/train lightly but it eventually became more painfull. Now my doctor told me to stop physical activity with my arm during 2 weeks :(.