Do you tip your garbage man / give him a holiday bonus?

Yes and no. It was when it was Anchorage Refuse and Waste Management. I still know people who work there.

I came on right after Waste Management was bought out. I'm sure we both know quite a few of the same people.

The mountain routes was where it was at, that and Girdwood because I always secured peoples cans when I was done because of all the bears. Also had to pick up a lot of stuff because of the bears too, that might be why they tipped better too. :icon_lol:

When did you work there?

I worked there from Oct.2006- Jan. 2010. I was voted the "2008 Swamper of the Year" Two weeks later I bulged two discs in my back throwing a toilet away on 51 Monday.

I worked there from Oct.2006- Jan. 2010. I was voted the "2008 Swamper of the Year" Two weeks later I bulged two discs in my back throwing a toilet away on 51 Monday.

I was relief driver of the year '02??? I think I left there in '03. Yeah, it's tough on the body, it got me for a hernia operation. Lost swamper of the year to Trey, I think he's still there doing the ER routes.

I was relief driver of the year '02??? I think I left there in '03. Yeah, it's tough on the body, it got me for a hernia operation. Lost swamper of the year to Trey, I think he's still there doing the ER routes.

I spent a lot of time swamping for Trey out in Eagle River.

Brent, Brock and Robbie still work there.

Culhanne left. Kurt F replaced him. Kelcey D is still a boss.

Lil George is still driving 88

Dee is still driving 51

I spent a lot of time swamping for Trey out in Eagle River.

Brent, Brock and Robbie still work there.

Culhanne left. Kurt F replaced him. Kelcey D is still a boss.

Lil George is still driving 88

Dee is still driving 51

Lol, I know every one of those guys. Seems like the Jehovah Witness connection is still in effect. Used to hunt with Trey and party with him out in Wasilla when the now Salvation Army was the Wasilla bar. I took Kelcey's route when he quite and started Alaska Waste.

Lol, I know every one of those guys. Seems like the Jehovah Witness connection is still in effect. Used to hunt with Trey and party with him out in Wasilla when the now Salvation Army was the Wasilla bar. I took Kelcey's route when he quite and started Alaska Waste.

It is and they only hired more. By the time I left the resi was about 1/3 Witness. Kurt pretty much hired everyone from his church after he was promoted.

Kelcey is a piece of shit and really fucked me over after I hurt my back.

They make something like $20/hr here with great benefits. I'm broke. So no I don't

You Americans really do like to give your money away don't you. The tipping is a big deal in your culture huh.

I've never seen my garbage man. He's like Santa.

I've never tipped the garbage man, but I wonder if my wife does while I'm at work!!!!

Lmao no.

They never show up the same time and are sometimes a day late.

I'm not going to go wait at the end of my driveway all day.

They do at my parents house . They didnt used too but one day I found one of those picture christmas card things with a picture of one of those plastic Santa Clauses on it , on the bottom it said "from your garbageman Todd" I thought it was a joke so I put it on the fridge , my parents saw it , And flagged down the garbage truck next time it came by and found the dude and gave him a bottle of liqour . After that it kinda became tradition.

I've never seen my garbagemen much less tipped them.

but that was a nice gift for a underappreciated job.

Ask somebody who lived in East St Louis in 1970s what happens when there are no garbagemen,......they had to call in the National Guard.

I do tip the garbage guys around this time of year. They work hard, the job smells and they hustle. Probably don't have a pension of any kind like a mailman and I bet make less than they do. Also the mailman brings me bills and the trash guys take away stuff I don't want anymore. Just give them 20 bucks so they can get lunch or something.

So over in the US the garbage men get out of the truck and throw the rubbish in the back by hand? What type of backward shit is that lol. Over here the trucks have automated arms that grab the bins, empty it and put it back down.

Back