Do you tip your garbage man / give him a holiday bonus?

uncookedpork**

Green Belt
Reaction score
We moved to the rural country of SW Florida years ago, and I never have before, but this year I gave my garbage man some cash. The guy on the back of the truck takes anything and everything without complaint, even if it is not a "big pickup" day. He really deserved it. He seemed very appreciative. The first few years we moved here there was no curbside pickup, so you had to take any garbage to the dump yourself.

Was just curious who else gives their garbageman money on a yearly basis during the holidays.

Happy New Years (eve) uncookedpork.

Last Friday is garbage day here, and I was walking my dog around the neighbourhood when I passed one of the garbage bins out front of a house, and it had a gift wrapped and sitting on top of the lid, with a note saying "Happy Holidays, Thanks for all your hard work" or something to this effect.
I will be doing this going forward every Christmas holiday for sure. It's nice to see people think outside the box like this and offer acts of kindness to others. I was really happy to have found this because now I can take part as well.

How much was the gift brah?

Not much, 20 cash that I had my daughter run out and give him, and I told him happy new year. He looked very appreciative yet shocked, like no one gives him anything extra, so that's what got me thinking to ask this question and make this thread. I really appreciate the selfless work they do.

tip him for what? doing his.....

nvm this isnt that thread

no i dont tip my garbage man, post man, milk man, policeman, fireman etc

No and the reason is all the thrash cans are picked up by forks on the side of the truck. He never gets out and those rare occasion when I have more garbage than can fit in the can, I bag it and put it next to the can but he never gets out and throws it in the truck. Those are really rare though like once every 2 or 3 months and I get home on thrash day and they are just sitting there so I end up having to throw them in my trunk and go find a dumpster around town. Maybe there is some protocol that doesn't allow them to get out because they might hurt themselves or they have to keep to a schedule, I don't know. If he did do that extra part I would for sure leave something nice for him.

Na, they make pretty decent money. I would give him a gift but not straight cash.

If by bonus you mean a bunch of cat poop, then yes.

No and the reason is all the thrash cans are picked up by forks on the side of the truck. He never gets out and those rare occasion when I have more garbage than can fit in the can, I bag it and put it next to the can but he never gets out and throws it in the truck. Those are really rare though like once every 2 or 3 months and I get home on thrash day and they are just sitting there so I end up having to throw them in my trunk and go find a dumpster around town. Maybe there is some protocol that doesn't allow them to get out because they might hurt themselves or they have to keep to a schedule, I don't know. If he did do that extra part I would for sure leave something nice for him.

I understand what you are saying, in many cities I hear that the truck/forks do all the work. Out here it is a small, private garbage company and the guy has to lug everything by hand and throw it in. He probably does thousands of homes twice a week and is on the level of an olympic track star, amazing cardio. In the last 5 years I've seen the same guy each time and never a day off.

I understand what you are saying, in many cities I hear that the truck/forks do all the work. Out here it is a small, private garbage company and the guy has to lug everything by hand and throw it in. He probably does thousands of homes twice a week and is on the level of an olympic track star, amazing cardio. In the last 5 years I've seen the same guy each time and never a day off.

Yea, When I was a kid there use to be a guy that would hang off the back and pick every can up by hand and dump it. Definitely seemed like some hard ass work.

The garagemen for me can never put the garbage can back on the sidewalk...I leave for work in the morning and the can is always knocked over occasionally in the street with the lid usually always in the street.

I wish people would stop this assumption of tipping for everyone. You go to a fast food chain and they have their tip jar out as well. Its not like serving, they already make above minimum wage.

I would if the guy went out of his way to be helpful or simply broke a couple of rules to make sure my trash was fully disposed of.

That said, over in my area of England, the garbage men are absolute dickheads who won't take your bin and empty it if the lid is even slightly open, they only collect general garbage every fortnight with the week in-between being recycling collection (of which there is very little to throw out because you're not allowed to throw food packaging in there. And they check for it every time. If they find any, they won't take it.

lol @ tipping dudes doing their job. I get it with people serving you food/drinks, but cmon man.

That's cool of you, but I wouldn't do it because his job is black and white. He either picks up the trash without leaving any junk around or he does. The former is absolutely his responsibility. Contrast that to a waitress, where she can do a multitude of things:

1. serve too slow
2. take my order with an attitude
3. take my order regularly
4. take my order with a smile and offer perks/freebies

1 and 2 leads me to stiff them unless I will frequent the establisment again, 3 gets the standard 15%, 4 gets more.

no way

you do realize garbage service is expensive as fuck right? If you live in a house you get a bill, do you tip everyone? Thanks for ringing up my items cashier, here is 10% of my bill? Thanks for helping me with my banking today, here is a tip?

tipping is almost degrading at that point, like here you go poor person, have some money

garbage men and women, though when do you really ever see a woman, make good money, they were run by the mob for forever and generally make more than a lot of average Joe workers, for sure more than anyone in retail

You've inspired me TS, next time I get pulled over I'll be sure to tip the police officer for all his hard work.

The company that does the trash at my house just toss my trash barrel and recycling bin back toward my yard with abandon. I don't reward that with a tip.

No if he starts living the easy life he'll never have the motivation to become the next Georges St Pierre

my garbage men are AWESOME! as long as I bundle things up easy and safe for them they will take ANYTHING! they took my tree, they took my basement, they took my bathroom. I give them food and donuts on the regular if I'm around, and also help them toss my trash out too. I have amazing trash collectors, I wouldn't mind being a trash collector myself, they make wicked money over here.

Back