Do you think you'd defend this?

Young Turkey

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
[YT]watch?v=r2kpZ3e0S-c[/YT]

Say you're already in this position, can you survive? :icon_twis

No I often get wrecked. when the legs feel so heavy I can't hitchheiker. I'm 6'5 so my big shoulders and long legs sometimes allows me to get the momentum to hitchheik- but I've noticed that if my opponent really knows how to make his legs heavy, I don't get to do it. I would need to sacrifice an arm to physically try to lift the legs, and that is when they just yank the armbar.

I need to change my game, because I've been at this plateau for a long time.

No I often get wrecked. when the legs feel so heavy I can't hitchheiker. I'm 6'5 so my big shoulders and long legs sometimes allows me to get the momentum to hitchheik- but I've noticed that if my opponent really knows how to make his legs heavy, I don't get to do it. I would need to sacrifice an arm to physically try to lift the legs, and that is when they just yank the armbar.

I need to change my game, because I've been at this plateau for a long time.

Haha I'm right there with Ya man, but honestly the hitch hiker is the sketchiest escape. I pretty much only try it against lower level guys who I don't mind getting tapped by because it usually doesn't even work against them.

Survive? As in sit in the position indefinitely? Probably not, she'd wear down and break down defenses.

Escape is a different story. I'm pretty sure if he wanted to escape, he could have.

I'm not sure I could, but I wouldn't mind trying.

I've had pretty good luck with this:

Instead of clinging to the endangered arm for dear life with a gable grip, or something like what the guy in the video had, grip the wrist of the arm they're trying to armbar (lets say it's your right arm) in a way that allows the hand of that arm to grip. Kick your right knee to your chest, grip underneath the inside of the knee with your right hand, the large tendons specifically, or the gi pants. With your free hand (left hand), lift up on their leg which was covering your head/throat, push it past the top of your head. Once your head is clear of their leg, shrimp/scoot in that same direction, pinning their leg with your head or shoulders. After that, you can sometimes just roll into them and gain position.

So much to take away from just a short video. Lot to be learned here.

I don't know if I would or not, honestly. I've been in that position a lot of times, and submitted a lot of times from it...But, as the years have gone by, I've gotten submitted less and less there, so it's possible, but probably unlikely. Good stuff to watch though.

Rockhold wasn't doing anything. Of course he got tapped.

I've had pretty good luck with this:

Instead of clinging to the endangered arm for dear life with a gable grip, or something like what the guy in the video had, grip the wrist of the arm they're trying to armbar (lets say it's your right arm) in a way that allows the hand of that arm to grip. Kick your right knee to your chest, grip underneath the inside of the knee with your right hand, the large tendons specifically, or the gi pants. With your free hand (left hand), lift up on their leg which was covering your head/throat, push it past the top of your head. Once your head is clear of their leg, shrimp/scoot in that same direction, pinning their leg with your head or shoulders. After that, you can sometimes just roll into them and gain position.

Hey I believe you're talking about this defense: [YT]watch?v=jviGHvuSAds[/YT]

This works good for me when I feel they're breaking the grip already. But the only thing different is that I would trap their leg that's across my chest first, using my legs. If you remove the leg across your head first, there's always the issue of them throwing it back over your face and continuing the armbar. But trap the lower leg, and they no longer have the armbar. The hard part is doing this in sequence on an opponent who's expecting it, so I feel timing is key. While they're distracted with finishing the armbar, you catch your armbarred arm inside your thigh, and simultaneously use your other arm to push their bottom leg to trap.

Last edited:
So much to take away from just a short video. Lot to be learned here.

I absolutely agree.

I am an armbar guy and spend a lot of time with big guys in their survival mode . I am seeing a lot of the exact same things I am doing and I also picked up something.

That is 100% my favorite armbar break that she shows at 40 seconds onwards.

Grab the thigh with your looping arm and crank hard towards the head. Wristlock with your free arm for extra jollyness. Bounce a bit.

People always show 137 different armbar breaks, but that's really the only one I use. If you crank hard enough, the guy often taps to the cranking shoulder pressure alone. It's just dirty, it takes almost no energy to apply, and it messes the guy up.

In brief, here's what I got from the video just from watching the things she worked in the position

* Pulling on the far elbow, and then shoulder
* Attacking the grip at the weakest point
* Resetting the hip position
* Using a lever (not strength) to pry open the grips
* Keeping the foot on the floor
* Using the posterior chain to extend backwards
* Staying cool in face of a counter

Armbars are way more effective in WMMA due to the lower upperbody strength ratio

[YT]watch?v=r2kpZ3e0S-c[/YT]

Say you're already in this position, can you survive? :icon_twis

Pretty good chance. My first training partners were killer from this position so I had to get good at defending or just get bullied. I have a few fun escapes from here.

Can't lie, I saw more that I didn't like than what I did like. For example, it must be nice to not have balls. LMAO. She does not squeeze her knees. The grip break was good, but it used more arm strength than I like to use. But she is good at what she does so I can't knock it.

No, she would tap me in like literally two seconds

I'm not that big, and I'm not good at escaping armbars. I wouldn't give me good odds.

Back