Do you think WMMA should be kept mostly separate?

Absolutely not. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The UFC doesn't care what a handful of emasculated whiners say. They don't care if they lose you because they will replace you with two more fans.
Okay
I don't know what point you're making, but thanks for the input

I'm completely OK with having all WMMA cards, or only very rarely having WMMA fights on PPV cards, etc. I like WMMA, but it isn't my favorite part of the sport. For the most part it is a few fighters at the top of both divisions who get my attention.

That said, your claim that nobody wants to pay for WMMA seems baseless. For everyone complaining about the noticeably lower skill levels of many female fighters, someone else has become a huge fan. I think if the UFC felt there was little demand for WMMA they wouldn't be adding new women's divisions. My guess is that their metrics are showing plenty of willingness among their fans to pay to see women fight.
I'm with you - I think the UFC likes the growth they're seeing in WMMA, and young stars like VanZant and the mexican girl ( I can't remember her name) are clearly getting a push, they're also aggressively pursuing talent as well as Invicta-FC

I think it has potential, and I legitimately enjoy it for the most part
I just think giving it it's own place to shine might actually be better for it's health and the perception people have of it

Okay

I'm with you - I think the UFC likes the growth they're seeing in WMMA, and young stars like VanZant and the mexican girl ( I can't remember her name) are clearly getting a push, they're also aggressively pursuing talent as well as Invicta-FC

I just think giving it it's own place to shine might actually be better for it's health and the perception people have of it

My point is that all this whining is futile, because the UFC is not going to change a thing for the EXTREME minority of people who are bitching about it. I can appreciate that you are venting, but that's all it is. They aren't going to change for the complainers.

Edit: the general "you", not you specifically, TS

My point is that all this whining is futile, because the UFC is not going to change a thing for the EXTREME minority of people who are bitching about it. I can appreciate that you are venting, but that's all it is. They aren't going to change for the complainers.

Edit: the general "you", not you specifically, TS
Gotcha
I think you have a point, and they know about their business than any of us - and also you're right, the UFC isn't marketed to hardcore fans, it's marketed to casuals so our opinions don't matter much anyway
I just wanted to know what the assumedinly "Hardcore" fans on sherdog think

Wasnt the female TUF season with Ronda and Tate the most watched in recent TUFs?
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/17/...-female-ufc-fights-outdraw-male-bouts-fox-mma

I remember people getting salty when Rousey was breaking PPV records as well
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/12/...ks-to-have-topped-1-million-pay-per-view-buys

And Holly Holm in case people wanna say its only because Rousey that women do well in ratings.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/2...c-on-fox-20-to-best-summer-ratings-in-history

Sherdoggers seem a bit out of touch with reality. Sherdogers like to hype Robbie Lawler and other guys like that who we all like,while shitting on people sherdog doesnt like, rousey for example, but then rousey destroys guys like lawler in ppv draws. This is usually followed by moving the goal posts to saying those viewers are casuals who dont know mma like we do so they dont matter

Okay

I don't think this would be the case.
If it were separated, i think WMMA would be an even smaller niche sport than MMA already is. It'd be in the same line as WNBA. I don't see WMMA being nearly as popular as it is now if it wasn't in the UFC on the same cards with the men. No one would care enough to seek out a pure women's sport. I think putting them on the regular UFC cards helps the perception. People can see that they can fight, and it's not some slap and pull hair fest.
I enjoy a lot of the SW fights, so in general have no problems with WMMA, but there's no way id seek out pure WMMA events. Id watch if it were on tv and there was nothing else on, but there is absolutely no way id pay even a $1 for an event

Wasnt the female TUF season with Ronda and Tate the most watched in recent TUFs?
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/17/...-female-ufc-fights-outdraw-male-bouts-fox-mma

I remember people getting salty when Rousey was breaking PPV records as well
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/12/...ks-to-have-topped-1-million-pay-per-view-buys

And Holly Holm in case people wanna say its only because Rousey that women do well in ratings.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/2...c-on-fox-20-to-best-summer-ratings-in-history

Sherdoggers seem a bit out of touch with reality. Sherdogers like to hype Robbie Lawler and other guys like that who we all like,while shitting on people sherdog doesnt like, rousey for example, but then rousey destroys guys like lawler in ppv draws. This is usually followed by moving the goal posts to saying those viewers are casuals who dont know mma like we do so they dont matter

That all just supports what I'm saying
Just have the cards separate on TV, and have the stars on PPVs
You're not arguing against me

I don't think this would be the case.
If it were separated, i think WMMA would be an even smaller niche sport than MMA already is. It'd be in the same line as WNBA. I don't see WMMA being nearly as popular as it is now if it wasn't in the UFC on the same cards with the men. No one would care enough to seek out a pure women's sport. I think putting them on the regular UFC cards helps the perception. People can see that they can fight, and it's not some slap and pull hair fest.
I enjoy a lot of the SW fights, so in general have no problems with WMMA, but there's no way id seek out pure WMMA events. Id watch if it were on tv and there was nothing else on, but there is absolutely no way id pay even a $1 for an event

See the above guys point for the basis of my argument, though I get and appreciate your point. It's all hypothetical, but I acutally think that WMMA has a decent enough following to float seperately and only co-promote on massive cards
But again, I do see your point

The UFC aren't a charity, they're in it for the money. That's why women are topping tomorrow's card, why Rousey is topping 207 and why they've introduced this new division. You may as well argue against capitalism.

The UFC aren't a charity, they're in it for the money. That's why women are topping tomorrow's card, why Rousey is topping 207 and why they've introduced this new division. You may as well argue against capitalism.
<{pranko}>
k

I don't think it's necessary for the UFC to buy out Invicta-FC or separate men's mma from women. I do think they can help prop up Invicta by using them as sort of a farm team bringing up new talent or sending aging or needz more refinement fighters down. My old man would always say "Each hand washes the other" essentially help one another UFC gets fresh new female talent, Invicta gets to piggy back the UFC success.

Last edited:
I don't think it's necessary for the UFC to buy out Invicta-FC or separate men's mma from women. I do think they can help prop up Invicta by using them as sort of a farm team bringing up new talent or sending aging or needz more refinement fighters down. My old man would always say "Each hand washes the other" essentially help one another UFC gets fresh new female talent, Invicta gets to piggy back the UFC success.
Yeah that's the system right now to an extent, with the Fight Pass series
They should poach Invicta's match maker or something, some of the fights they put together are just bad

That all just supports what I'm saying
Just have the cards separate on TV, and have the stars on PPVs
You're not arguing against me

See the above guys point for the basis of my argument, though I get and appreciate your point. It's all hypothetical, but I acutally think that WMMA has a decent enough following to float seperately and only co-promote on massive cards
But again, I do see your point

Oh i wasnt arguing with you or anything. I just read the first page and saw a bunch of "hardcore fans" saying no one watches the womens division and came to rustle some jimmies.

in reality, i dont know if the hype and support will transfer over to all female cards. but the common argument for wmma being on a different card is it takes up spots for the "better" men fights who are supposed to be more exciting and draw more people. That puts me against that group that advocates for separate cards.

also, i remember an article or some someone else on this forum made the point that womens fights on the same card add legitimacy to wmma because it is treated the same as mens mma which helps it avoid the fate of wmma that has shorter baskets and smaller balls. It is inherently treated as inferior.

Finally, wmma is still in its infancy, they need some time to build some more stars to carry the division the same way anderson, connor, brock, Bj, and GSP picked up the slack for the underperformers in ratings.

Regular women matches should be separated. Squash matches and epic matches can be on the men's card. I think this would be optimal from entertainment's perspective.

Regular women matches should be separated. Squash matches and epic matches can be on the men's card. I think this would be optimal from entertainment's perspective.

Well thats not very fair for the growth of Wmma though. If UFc wants it to grow, they cant put all the women with no star power in their own cards without the stars to bring the support. People come for the star or the main event but along the way they see a new wmma star in the making in the making on the lower fights. Without the stars, people wont tune in to watch new stars being developed.

we see with some of these cards with men. Did anyone care about cards featuring nothing but sub top 10 talent? ppv buys and views are abysmal without some stars or champions. And some of the champions like Dillashaw, Cruz, Aldo, or Lawler had issues with getting large PPV buys.

I honestly just think Sean Shelby and his team don't give a lot of thought to WMMA and we get bad matchups a lot of times because of it.

Yes, I've already been considering that idea seriously as an explanation for why the matches made at Invicta FC generally seem consistently better than the matches made in the UFC.

I'm completely OK with having all WMMA cards, or only very rarely having WMMA fights on PPV cards, etc. I like WMMA, but it isn't my favorite part of the sport. For the most part it is a few fighters at the top of both divisions who get my attention.

That said, your claim that nobody wants to pay for WMMA seems baseless. For everyone complaining about the noticeably lower skill levels of many female fighters, someone else has become a huge fan. I think if the UFC felt there was little demand for WMMA they wouldn't be adding new women's divisions. My guess is that their metrics are showing plenty of willingness among their fans to pay to see women fight.

5ObA_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

You bring up good points, you a lawyer? I may need representation soon....

5ObA_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

You bring up good points, you a lawyer? I may need representation soon....
Looking to the old Sherdog legal defense team, eh? I heard that in some prisons they force you to read Sherdog to enhance the punishment.

I think if the UFC felt there was little demand for WMMA they wouldn't be adding new women's divisions. My guess is that their metrics are showing plenty of willingness among their fans to pay to see women fight.

It 'd be funny if it was the Sherdog forum Ronda-haters and their relentless Ronda-is-ducking-Cyborg posts that we have to thank for influencing the UFC to create the new women's 145 lbs UFC division.

Back