Do you think we'll see a "Machida" for Kung Fu?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by CollarTie, Oct 30, 2010.

1. CollarTie

CollarTie Blue Belt

Back before Machida many people didn't care, or even aknowledge karate. Just because they'd never seen anybody use it in the ocatgon, it was automatically "useless". Then Lyoto comes along and starts taking names. Karate is instantly a respected style again.

Any style can be used effectively in MMA, it's all about the fighter, and how they utilize it. Thats not what this threads about. My question is, could we end up seeing somebody effectively utilize Kung Fu, or other traditional Chinese martial arts? You see some pretty neat stuff with all those different arts, with the hand trapping, sweeps, insane felxibility, and even some of the showy kicks.

By the way, please don't talk about San Shou/Sanda. I know what it is, I know fighters like Zhang Tie Quan, Cung Le, and Pat Barry all use it. I'm asking if you think some guy who's been doing Hung Gar since he was kid, will eventually make his way to the octagon, and go down the same path as Lyoto Machida, and bring respect back to Kung Fu

2. Pimp Mobile

Pimp Mobile White Belt

I think karate's always garnered more respect than kung fu in terms of being a viable form of self defence.

3. LEGS MAHONEY

LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

4. Lead

Lead /Led/ Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's a modified form of Karate that makes it work for the Kung Fu would have to be modified to but in the end, I think it's less likely to still have success.

5. shinkyoku

shinkyoku Brown Belt

You ask for someone who have gained kungfu fighting experience but not having competed in the sport formats available for kungfu?

You will not see some animal-kungfu stylist step into the MMA ring/cage and do traditional wushu successfully without competition experience. Anyone who are successful will go through sanshou or sanda to gain experience. Its the same with karate. Any fighter who gets good at fighting do it by competing and training for competition under the rules available for the art -be it knockdown karate for Kikuno Katsunori (kyokushin karate), or point karate for lyoto Machida (shotokan karate).

In the same way -you do not see any traditional Muay Boran stylist in the MMA ring either, unless they also spent a long time training competition Muay Thai.

6. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

You've answered your own question. You'll see it when someone with real skill trains for full-contact MMA rules.

7. Mehmedagic

Mehmedagic Purple Belt

Cung le? he's pretty good lol

8. 350 lbs fist

350 lbs fist Black Belt

I suspect only guys with fullcontact experience from Sanshou/Sanda or any other format I'm unfamiliar with will make it with any degree of success.

On a similar note, anybody but Kongo in modern MMA who has a Savate background?

9. chaospfa

chaospfa Blue Belt

Cung Le is a kung fu practitioner. Machida wasn't the first karateka to be successful in mma, before him there was GSP, before him there was A. Silva and before him there was Bas Rutten. Cro Cop also holds a nidan in shotokan karate and was the ISKA Full Contact Heavy Weight champ before he did K1 (citation needed, I remember seeing this in his documentary, but I can't find the info on the net).

10. Sohei

Sohei A Smocking gun

Kung-fu is really the only style that hasnt had one legit representative.

11. BBQpork

BBQpork Blue Belt

That's irrelevant. Anderson Silva can train in Capoeria and Bob Sapp can train in NFL, but it will do little to nothing in terms of effectiveness.

12. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

There already has. Jason DeLucia.

13. papertigers

papertigers Yellow Belt

14. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

15. chaospfa

chaospfa Blue Belt

Except A. Silva uses his karate in his fights, everyone I listed as karatekas use their karate in fights, I could have made a longer list if I had only listed fighters who trained karate at some piont. A. Silva's back fist and jumping round house resemble the karate variations, he also used some karate straights in his first fight with Franklin.

16. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

^ I'm going to have to call BS on that. Never once have I ever heard anything about Anderson having a Karate background. He trained TKD as a kid (blackbelt), has done some Capoeira, is a Judo BB, but no Karate training.

Now, i'm sure he knows some Karate from training with Machida, but that by no means makes him a karateka.

17. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

If/when MMA breaks into the Chinese market I expect lots of Sanshou & Sanda (or whatever they're called) guys competing. Maybe a 'Machida' will come along.

18. LEGS MAHONEY

LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

TKD IS Krotty brah! Why do you think its called Korean karate?:p

19. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

20. leftlegkicker

leftlegkicker White Belt

Kung Fu has already been represented in the cage. Cung Le, anyone?

It's rather arbitrary to ask whether Kung Fu has been used in MMA, but rig the question by automatically ruling out the Sanda/Sanshou guys -- arguably, the ones whose training would most suit them to fighting in MMA out of all the Kung Fu practitioners. What do you expect out of a Kung Fu stylist fighting MMA -- someone doing Jet Li style acrobatics in the ring? Even many schools that do "flowery" styles of Kung Fu use Sanda/Sanshou-style rules for their sparring.

Machida was a Karate practitioner who was an elite level Shotokan fighter -- in other words, he practiced sparring regularly against a live, resisting opponent in addition to practicing all the other aspects of Karate (forms, basics, etc). If he only did forms and one-step sparring drills against non-resisting opponents, he wouldn't have been successful in the ring.

The same goes for Kung Fu. Any Kung Fu fighter that has a chance of doing well in MMA would also have to practice live sparring and related conditioning and drills, in addition to forms and whatever else they did. Guess what? Sanda/Sanshou practictioners fit that bill exactly.