Do you think we get wiser with age?

One of the common adages you hear is that with age, comes wisdom.

I routinely find myself saying "If I had had known then, what I know now....", but in reality, I'm not entirely sure I am any wiser in my 30s, than I was as a young man.

While I certainly have more life experience, it seems that it is always difficult to look at a situation impartially, regardless of age. So while I can give young people some really great advice, when it comes to myself, I find that I simply repeat the same mistakes (and arguably, with even much weightier consequenes).

For some of the older guys out there, would you say that age has brought you wisdom?
You're probably right because I don't think that any point all ever look back to when I was younger and say that I was wiser at that time, but that does not keep me from making stupid mistakes going forward.

But maybe not the same mistakes. So it depends on your definition of wise.

Ill lean tiward older is wiser because I'll have a conversation with my pretty intelligent brother and sister and the holes in their logic are absolutely rooted in lack of experience. I remember when I shared some of the opinions that they have now it would roll my eyes at a guy like me.

I know so many people that says life is over after 30.
I think the life they're talking about is probably when you have kids, not when you turn 30. I'm 30 now, my kid is eight years old, and I know my wife's just started. It's all in perspective. If beer pong and whores was your life, then yeah, your was probably over at 30.

Personally speaking.

Like someone said its not just experience but ability to perceive and analyse.

Some dumb fucks never learn, always trying to ice skate uphill.
blade-fist-pump.gif

I think the life they're talking about is probably when you have kids, not when you turn 30. I'm 30 now, my kid is eight years old, and I know my wife's just started. It's all in perspective. If beer pong and whores was your life, then yeah, your was probably over at 30.

Most of my close friends are a lot younger than me. Some of them are still in college. BTW I'm 38. I was talking about guys my age and older.

Most of my close friends are a lot younger than me. Some of them are still in college. BTW I'm 38. I was talking about guys my age and older.
that's cool man and I wasn't referencing you, I was referencing whoever said to you that life is over at 30. I've also heard the same thing

for sure. life is like a giant novel of realizations. each page turned, the realization learned, another year burned.

the final realization is death of course, but not many are lucky to be granted as much because they would die prematurely or unexpectedly never completing their life's novel.

but of course there are those that live comfortably within their own hubris, drunk off of their own arrogance/ignorance while lost deep within the thicket of delusion.

"as black in deed as cold as stone
a commandment of one as proud as gold
as neglected in spirit as time is old
as legion is numbers as legend is told

I am alone with the agony of truth
my power of will my judgment & chain
my end is knowledge & conscience of guilt
my final confusion hidden from me till I'm done.."

Last edited:

I routinely find myself saying "If I had had known then, what I know now....", but in reality, I'm not entirely sure I am any wiser in my 30s, than I was as a young man.

While I certainly have more life experience, it seems that it is always difficult to look at a situation impartially, regardless of age. So while I can give young people some really great advice, when it comes to myself, I find that I simply repeat the same mistakes (and arguably, with even much weightier consequenes).

For some of the older guys out there, would you say that age has brought you wisdom?

Certainly with age and experience comes wisdom, although this can be rendered moot by poor impulse control.

I see way more than I do 3 or 4 years ago even, much less 10 years ago, so, in that sense I would say yes. However, that doesn't mean I won't make the wrong decisions now also. So, we'll see.

i find getting older the whole concept of "letting go" is particularly important, and will lead me to more happiness and less stress

The older I get, the dumber I realize I am. That's sort of like wisdom.

Absolutely. Except for the occasional nutjob that goes over the edge and joins a cult or something.

A lot of people said experience, but also reflection on experiences is important I think. A lot of people say traveling broadens your horizons and I've met many people who seem to have benefited from traveling, but I also met many who only used their experiences to affirm their prejudices, and to post lots of pictures on facebook.

Back