Do you think UFC will sign Jake Shields again?

He deserves to be in the UFC, but hope he gets to fight Palhares in the WSOF before WSOF has to close up shop. I'm excited for that fight.

Shields may have been 4-3 in his UFC run, but every win was a particularly boring decision, three being split decisions and none of the wins being particularly convincing. His only clear-cut convincing win was an awful fight that was overturned to a No Contest because Shields failed a drug test.

Why would the UFC want to bring him back?

He's finishing fights again, two in a row now in the first round.
or will UFC assume that he goes back to decisioning once he faces UFC caliber fighters?

Background.

He had 4 straight wins, over:

Sexyama

Ed Herman (overturned NC)

Tyron Woodley

Demian Maia

And as we all know, got cut after a decision loss to Hector Lombard.
(Trivia: Hector (the beast of a man) said in an interview that he was surprised how strong Shields was when he got a hold of him)
Bz_j1AoCUAEhfk5.jpg

Shields is very good on the ground. He is not super athletic and has made the most of what he has. The difference is that finishing guys out of the top 10 (or in the WSOF with a couple of exceptions, guys no where near the top 20) is a lot different than finishing Hendricks, Lawler, Rory, etc..
Shields could get resigned if he destroys Polhares but I doubt it.

I'd rather watch fucking paint dry. He wins fights but, Jesus fucking Christ, I'd as soon someone jab forks into my eyeballs than watch him fight.

Shields is very good on the ground. He is not super athletic and has made the most of what he has. The difference is that finishing guys out of the top 10 (or in the WSOF with a couple of exceptions, guys no where near the top 20) is a lot different than finishing Hendricks, Lawler, Rory, etc..
Shields could get resigned if he destroys Polhares but I doubt it.

You know Lawler got finished by Jake right? 1st round I think..

I would personally love to see Shields vs Askren in the UFC. For me the solution to "bori grapplers" is to pit them against each other, because its interesting to see whose bread and butter prevails.

Exactly why I'm stoked for Bader vs Davis.

For some reason Jake looks better when he's not in the UFC, maybe the UFC stage is too big for him. At one point Dana was giving him the keys to the car Jake just couldn't drive it.

I always liked Shields, and I was sorry to see him go. I'd like to see him fight Palhares and Fitch. A fight between him and Askren would be interesting if it can happen (not sure if WSOF of ONE FC do any cross promoting or what have you).

what exactly was his price tag? when he came to the UFC he was the strikeforce champ and had beaten some pretty big names. If he was too expensive that's a mistake the UFC made, not shields.

He was on $75K/$75K. Not sure what you mean by it being anyone's "mistake," but it would appear that the UFC did not feel he was worth that much. I don't know whether they attempted to restructure his deal and he declined or if they just cut him without any attempt to negotiate.

Palhares will twist one off.

I'm one of those handful of people that actually enjoy watching Shields. I don't think he'll be coming back to the UFC, though.

Probably not remember Cokers trying to get all the boys back together

Probably not remember Cokers trying to get all the boys back together

Yep,Coker would gladly pay 75/75k to sign a guy who finished the current ufc ww champ in 1rd, especially since he would be on a 5 fight win streak.

yeah you always see that, when the top guys face drastically lesser competition - whether it's shields finishing guys on the ground or bisping KOing guys early in his career or whatever.

i think they know the score, that it will just be more of the same if they bring him back. IMO he is the most boring fighter they ever had, seriously hope it never happens.

they should

the best should be in the ufc..askren and shields

bring my boy jake back uncle dana!!

In WSOF, he is one of the most recognizable names on the roster, in large part due to all the promotion he got from Strikeforce and the UFC, he can easily headline any card and the demographic WSOF appeals to will watch it. In the UFC, he is far from one of the biggest names in the company nor does he have a style that will carry a card; he's stuck between being low on the main card or high on the undercard, and his presence will hardly affect the amount of attention drawn to any event. Shields is worth much more to a smaller MMA promotion than he is to the UFC, and so the UFC won't make him an offer high enough to persuade him to leave WSOF. Which is a shame too, considering he has already beat the UFC champion in his weight class and I'd give him a pretty great chance to do it again.

oh look, a reasonable post.

I can go to bed now.

Back