Do you think UFC will sign Jake Shields again?

Moral Victory

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He's finishing fights again, two in a row now in the first round.
or will UFC assume that he goes back to decisioning once he faces UFC caliber fighters?

Background.

He had 4 straight wins, over:

Sexyama

Ed Herman (overturned NC)

Tyron Woodley

Demian Maia

And as we all know, got cut after a decision loss to Hector Lombard.
(Trivia: Hector (the beast of a man) said in an interview that he was surprised how strong Shields was when he got a hold of him)
Bz_j1AoCUAEhfk5.jpg

Last edited:
They would, but Shields would probably have to drastically reduce his price tag.

Doubt it. He just isn't an exciting fighter. And has way too high of a price tag like someone mentioned already.

Is anyone else using that RNC variant that shields has used recently? RNC defense has gotten so good that RNC is a low probably submission on an unrocked fighter. However, this shields variant looks much tougher to defend as it uses chin instead of the throat.

Please no. The guy is good but I dont think I can endure another Jake Shields main card fight

I think hes happy right where he is. Hes always been more of a "big fish/small pond" kind of fighter

In WSOF, he is one of the most recognizable names on the roster, in large part due to all the promotion he got from Strikeforce and the UFC, he can easily headline any card and the demographic WSOF appeals to will watch it. In the UFC, he is far from one of the biggest names in the company nor does he have a style that will carry a card; he's stuck between being low on the main card or high on the undercard, and his presence will hardly affect the amount of attention drawn to any event. Shields is worth much more to a smaller MMA promotion than he is to the UFC, and so the UFC won't make him an offer high enough to persuade him to leave WSOF. Which is a shame too, considering he has already beat the UFC champion in his weight class and I'd give him a pretty great chance to do it again.

I would personally love to see Shields vs Askren in the UFC. For me the solution to "bori grapplers" is to pit them against each other, because its interesting to see whose bread and butter prevails.

From what I understand from his camp he is not looking for a UFC return if they do offer it

I would personally love to see Shields vs Askren in the UFC. For me the solution to "bori grapplers" is to pit them against each other, because its interesting to see whose bread and butter prevails.

let them fight outside the UFC. askren will not be signed, and shields is old news. he will not be back in the ufc. no one likes watching his fights, and he is a money drain to dana. i hear dana is low on funds these days.

what exactly was his price tag? when he came to the UFC he was the strikeforce champ and had beaten some pretty big names. If he was too expensive that's a mistake the UFC made, not shields.

Sadly no. He is legit top 10 ww and was top 10 for long time now. Guys he beat are solid-but not known for their tdd/ground game. If he somehow (i dont think he will) beats palhares or finish him,he should get the call from ufc. Some fans think he is boring(i dont,only woodley fight) and dana wont pay him as muchh

Shields is Rev Lovejoy. Imagine at the end he says "The ref has separated my opponent and I, so I'll attempt to hold him up against the cage again."

Shields need to earn some k.o's before the ufc even considers his return.

He makes the same or more defeating guys I've never heard of and could also become champion, so he should stay put.

Dat Jake Shields money.

I don't think Jake Shields would sign with the UFC again. Maybe if they offered him anderson silva money.

Maybe as an injury replacement. He is better off tapping out cans in WSOF than getting dubious decisions in the UFC.

Back