Social Do you think travelling is essential for your personal growth?

Do you think travelling is essential for your personal growth?

• Total voters
Not at all. Maybe i'm biased because i had already travelled anywhere i ever wanted to be in my life by the age of like 15. I don't think it has any benefits regarding your personality.

Reactions: CI
it may be essential for stupid people who live by the ego and only thinking about money, its the only time they are made aware of people different from their own self

It's a great experience but not necessary to personal growth, more like something you can do later for advanced personal growth.
I say this as someone who has truly travelled all over the place.

I think a difficult task/challenge is the best way for personal growth, even if you stay in one place your entire life.

Yes. One cannot have a well rounded and informed opinion on the world unless one has experienced other cultures, so one can understand what is universal and how we are all similar and different.

Yes. One cannot have a well rounded and informed opinion on the world unless one has experienced other cultures, so one can understand what is universal and how we are all similar and different.

What if the travel and experience reinforces the existing opinion? Did the person still experience personal growth?

Someone who isn't fond of a foreign culture or the people as a whole travels to a resort, suffers food poisoning, and gets their valuables stolen from their room. They loathe the people and culture because of this experience; further reinforcing the negative opinions they had.

I remember reading yuval harrari's Sapiens. If I recall correctly, he stated that humans only traveled out of necessity(food, clothing, shelter), and not for the "sake of traveling". If their basic needs where met, very rarely ppl traveled.

I think now ppl travel just to get away from social politics, and escape for today's problems at home. Ppl have didnt copes, video games, martial arts, and I think for some ppl its for travel.

I remember traveling to a third world for a wedding once, and that experience confirmed how great I have it here in the west. I have been told I have it good. Did I really need to experience it? Not really. I was itching to come back a day in, and saved a boat load of money.

I would add one has to be living in the culture on top of that. Cant be living in the comforts of a western hotel, and say they experienced culture. Similar to the beginning of "the beach" movie.

Between ages 21-25, I had alot 2 years worth of traveling time. I was always solo and didn't spend time in resorts. It's an amazing way to learn cultures and languages. Being on my own really forced me to interact with locals, and especially women. If you want to get laid more often than you've every imagined possible, go backpacking alone.

What if the travel and experience reinforces the existing opinion? Did the person still experience personal growth?

Someone who isn't fond of a foreign culture or the people as a whole travels to a resort, suffers food poisoning, and gets their valuables stolen from their room. They loathe the people and culture because of this experience; further reinforcing the negative opinions they had.
Just because a person might not grow from the experience doesn't mean they could grow without it. People like you describe rarely grow at all, and end up dying as childlike as they were born.

Just because a person might not grow from the experience doesn't mean they could grow without it. People like you describe rarely grow at all, and end up dying as childlike as they were born.

I agree with your opinion as stated. The problem with questions such as the OP's is it can't account for the differences among humans and what is said can be generally true but not true for everyone.

I believe that it is beneficial to travel to the greatest extent possible but I have seen people like those we're talking about. They traveled throughout the Pacific or Europe and came away little to no wiser and without being enriched in a positive way by their experience.

I don't think it's necessary but I do think it's helpful.

IMO it's the condensed, accelerated school of life.

You'll probably learn a lot of the same stuff if you never travel . . . but maybe not, or not as much . . . and you'll probably learn it a lot sooner in life if you travel.

I'll also say that a lot of what you're learning is as much about yourself as it is about the world.

Saw some :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: on here the other day talking about how "other people don't get much out of traveling" as if he is some genius traveling savant. Fucking clowns know nothing about real life aside from bullshit words on the internet.

Depends on your outlook and approach to traveling. I know lots of people who have traveled and didn't get a damn thing out of it.

That's a solid point, too. A lot of people only travel to high quality, all-inclusive resorts that carry American brands, serve American style meals, where it's mostly American tourists, and they just stay put. If the only difference you're experiencing is the staff's skin colour and/or accent, I'd argue that you're probably not learning a hell of a lot.

what kind of travel? international, state-to state??

IMO any of that is better than staying put your whole life. Even doing a road trip to the far corners of your own state is a-ok in my books.

That's a solid point, too. A lot of people only travel to high quality, all-inclusive resorts that carry American brands, serve American style meals, where it's mostly American tourists, and they just stay put. If the only difference you're experiencing is the staff's skin colour and/or accent, I'd argue that you're probably not learning a hell of a lot.

I think that kind of travel can actually make you more dumb..

IMO any of that is better than staying put your whole life. Even doing a road trip to the far corners of your own state is a-ok in my books.
i wonder how many great historical figures never left their home country/state/town/whatever

Back