Social Do you think travelling is essential for your personal growth?

Do you think travelling is essential for your personal growth?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you think is necessary to develop you as a person? Or is it overrated?

Does it help with self-esteem, confidence, knowledge of the world?

it's essential
if you don't see the world, it's very easy to get caught up in the politics and bs that the media spins. it's very easy to forget at the end of the day that we are all people. nothing beats chopping it up in a language you barely know in place you never thought of going to having the time of your life

I've seen and experienced enough, I'm ready to go home and live a quiet life for the rest of my days.

Yes absolutely…traveling changed my life, my world view was reset..in my early 20’s, while my friends where digging into to all kinds of shit, I flew to Europe with $2000, and no plan for a 6 week exploration..
That ignited the fire in me and was the beginning of 5 years of travel through Asia, Russia, and later Africa..
I already suspected the news was full of shit about the rest of the world, and my personal experience confirmed what I knew…
I always knew I would include travel again in my life, and now, at 57, I am about to embark again , god willing for another 10 years…
Being a little older, I won’t be sleeping on the grass outside a train station , or on the side of the road next to a rice field…but it won’t be routine lazy American travel either..

I'm conflicted about it. Am 28 now and have lived in 6 countries and few continents since turning 20, travelled to around 20 countries during this time. Definitely got so much out of it and am grateful of all the experiences.

However I'm unsure how big part of that is avoidance, as I feel like I have to be on the move continuously or I get depressed. Need to have always another location in mind instead of staying still. Also, sometimes wondering if all the traveling etc. related marketing just glorifies it and eventually it's not that integral to your growth - and how much I've been influenced by it.

At the same time I have gotten a lot out of it I suppose, but am still confused over this. This post is all over the place sry, lol.

I'm conflicted about it. Am 28 now and have lived in 6 countries and few continents since turning 20, travelled to around 20 countries during this time. Definitely got so much out of it and am grateful of all the experiences.

However I'm unsure how big part of that is avoidance, as I feel like I have to be on the move continuously or I get depressed. Need to have always another location in mind instead of staying still. Also, sometimes wondering if all the traveling etc. related marketing just glorifies it and eventually it's not that integral to your growth - and how much I've been influenced by it.

At the same time I have gotten a lot out of it I suppose, but am still confused over this. This post is all over the place sry, lol.

It's not all over the place at all. It's very good insight imo.

Honestly I have no idea, but I believe it is. It was for me. Not only traveling, but getting to know people and talking to people who've lived completely different lives than you.

However, if you're not open to new and different things, it won't make a difference. I worked with a guy who's wife dragged him to France. He didn't want to go because he was sure the French were all rude and the country was over rated, and the food wasn't going to be great and blah, blah blah. He went and found exactly what he expected. I went to France and had the polar opposite experience. Everyone was friendly and the food was mind blowing. It was a transformational experience for me.

Depends on your outlook and approach to traveling. I know lots of people who have traveled and didn't get a damn thing out of it.

It's true. A lot of young people just stay in hostels with other young people like themselves drinking. They never interact with anyone other than themselves. A lot of older people are just in tour groups, taking a tour slightly more realistic than Google Earth. They also never interact with anyone other than themselves.

But yes, I do think it is essential. The most important thing is to interact with people in the places you travel to.

Last edited:
Traveling and moving constantly has never been enjoyable for me. There are few things i truky want to see outside of my country or area and if i die tomorrow i wont regret not seeing it in the slightest.

Back