Do you think torture produces valuable information?

I think, most agree with me that there is never a time nor place to torture another human being.

Sorry worded poorly. Should have said "it can have its time and place."

I personally could care less if we torture some dirtbag terrorist, child molester, etc. But I think it has been decided by our nation that it is not acceptable and we need to abide by that, as the military or law enforcement.

Sorry worded poorly. Should have said "it can have its time and place."

I personally could care less if we torture some dirtbag terrorist, child molester, etc. But I think it has been decided by our nation that it is not acceptable and we need to abide by that, as the military or law enforcement.

At a human level I agree with you. And I think that when I hear about some of the Dbags in the world do, it tends to bring out the worst in me as far as thoughts go. But I honestly think that if we had a soul, then committing torture can only be injurious to it.

And yeah, it's reliability is scarce at best.

Torture a man long enough and he will tell you everything you want to hear, including who started the Chicago fire. As far as the reliability of that information goes, it's garbage. Good interrogators look down upon torture as a mean to extract information. Besides, I find it morally wrong, as you are resorting to the same practices of the so called "enemies of freedom".

I believe through what I've read that most people will give up info that have without it and with it they will make up whatever gets you to stop torturing them.

BijgFuOCQAAohL9.jpg:medium

Jack Bauer: Got the time?

Random: Er, hang on...

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh... t-t-t-t-ten p-p-p-past-t-t-t th-th-three...

Yeah... For torture to be effective you basically need 2 things.

1) To be absolutely certain that the person knows the answers to your questions.
2) For the answers to those questions to be easily verifiable.

Without those 2 things, torture can't really be a very effective means of gaining intel.

And if those two are answerable, you don't need to go to much trouble.

Back