Do you think torture produces valuable information?

i think the bigger question is is it the best method. which the answer is no.

i think the bigger question is is it the best method. which the answer is no.

1) ask politely
2) good cop bad cop
3) let's cut a deal
4) come on, pretty please
5) torture

Torture can be used to get your opponent to confess to stuff he didn't do or finger other opponents for stuff that they didn't do.

Torture is a wonderful tool for the Machiavellian to reshape reality in accordance with his desires.

Only if the person being tortured actually knows something.

This. And it will also promote suspicion that you can't tell for sure unless you torture someone ... and even then, you can keep on being suspicious.

All in all it will lead to so many people being tortured that can't provide you with any good info.

So fuck torture.

Torture can produce information, sure. Might be worthless information, but it does produce information.

As long as someone is talking, you're probably better of with a skilled interrogator. I interrogate people all the time, and know you can get almost anything out of someone with the right tack of questions.

If we are allowing torture, why do we stop with the torture of the person being interrogated. They will likely say anything to make the suffering stop for a little bit. But if our goal is to get worthwhile information regardless of the heinousness of the way we extract it, we'd likely get better information if we torture loved ones and family. Torture someone's innocent child in front of them and let them know that if they provide inaccurate info. or hide the ball at all, you'll mutilate or kill the child. I'd bet the info is better than just torturing the person with the information.

No.

Torture is only good for sick warmongering fucks looking to get their rocks off.

I'm sure torture has produced more than its fair share of valuable information over the years.

To act like it hasn't is ignoring a likely outcome do to its nature, not its actual effectiveness.

Neither myself or anyone here has any real experience with POW's or torture, so it's probably extremely difficult to form an informed decision.

What the fuck difference does it make unless you think intelligence gained from torture justifies dehumanizing yourself?

I read a book by an SF 'gator. He never used torture, never even threatened the bad guys with torture.

But whether he was telling the truth...

You can get someone to say anything you want through torture, truth be damned you will hear what you want to hear.

I don't believe it is effective and I don't want in done in my name.

I believe the recent revelation prove that, as pretty much all the useful information was received without use of torture and then a whole heap of bullshit was obtained after.

What the fuck difference does it make unless you think intelligence gained from torture justifies dehumanizing yourself?

Some people believe the ends justify the means, maybe they would think differently about torture if they knew there was no "ends".

I read a book by an SF 'gator. He never used torture, never even threatened the bad guys with torture.

But whether he was telling the truth...

He wasn't since doing so would violate a nondisclosure agreement

When I was in intel school they told us it does work.

It has to be used very selectively and with certain constraints in place to be effective though. Just snatching random bad guy up and torturing him with a "tell us what you know" framework produces incomplete or just straight wrong intel. Like people said, people will tell you whatever to make the pain stop.

When used properly with the backing of intel you already know and the ability to vet the information told to you by the person you are torturing it can be effective. It is time consuming and messy, which is why it is not used a whole lot.

It has its time and place but it is rare.

Interestingly enough, certain techniques used during interrogation by domestic law enforcement in the US is banned by traditional Army interrogators.

It has to be used very selectively and with certain constraints in place to be effective though. Just snatching random bad guy up and torturing him with a "tell us what you know" framework produces incomplete or just straight wrong intel. Like people said, people will tell you whatever to make the pain stop.

When used properly with the backing of intel you already know and the ability to vet the information told to you by the person you are torturing it can be effective. It is time consuming and messy, which is why it is not used a whole lot.

Interestingly enough, certain techniques used during interrogation by domestic law enforcement in the US is banned by traditional Army interrogators.

Yeah... For torture to be effective you basically need 2 things.

1) To be absolutely certain that the person knows the answers to your questions.
2) For the answers to those questions to be easily verifiable.

Without those 2 things, torture can't really be a very effective means of gaining intel.

I think, most agree with me that there is never a time nor place to torture another human being.

BijgFuOCQAAohL9.jpg:medium

Back