Do you think this situation is worth it?

No.

DIY for now.

You guys need to gather up some money, purchase your own set of mats,gis, and instructional video tapes and learn on your own for now.

$90 dollars for 3 1/1 hours of training per week doesn't sound stellar to me, plus gas expense and intrusion of time.

With my idea you guys could train everyday whenever you wanted.

A group composed of myself and two of my best buds want to get into Brazilian Jujitsu. The problem is that we don't have a place in the city that we live in, and the closest is about an hour away, all highway. We would pool of course, and the fee is 90$ per month. With lessons twice a week for 1 hour, and then an hour and a half open mat. And the times are very conveinent as well.

Would you go to these lengths to practice it?

I already do.. the difference is that I take the subway for an hour and a half instead of the highway

You guys could also try making contacts to get a few seminars going.

Getting a purple or brown belt to come out shouldn't dent the wallet too much, and would be nothing but benefical for grapplers new to the game.

I would consider moving. What kind of a shitty little town was no wrestling, judo, bjj, or mma club? Do you even have a Walmart?

Go in for the trial day and bring all your friends. If you and they enjoy it, and are willing to put in the time and money, you should do it.

If people have doubts, or if anyone you are going with flakes often, i would consider findnig another person to replace them.

Get a few more friends together and get the instructor to open up a new club on your doorstep - thats what I did 2 years ago!

Now we have a class of between 15 and 30 3 nights a week

I drive 45 mins each way by myself with an SUV... If it's something you really want to do, it's worth every penny.

Whoever said DIY was 100% correct. Buy some gracie instructional DVDs and Renzos book on BJJ theory and technique. You have people to train with, thats the hardest part. get the DVDs, use this forum as a sounding board and get to rolling. You can make it a special treat and take a class at that place every other week on the weekends. Good luck and enjoy!

I would consider moving. What kind of a shitty little town was no wrestling, judo, bjj, or mma club? Do you even have a Walmart?

NYC does not have a Walmart... does that make it a shitty little town? hehe

I travel 1 hour on public transit to get to my class.

Do it and have fun bro.

I used to walk 15 miles in the snow with only newspapers wrapped around my feet to train.... lol j/k

Damn, you stole mine.

Seriously though, it is def worth it if it becomes a passion/lifestyle like alot of us. I drive a 1972 Toyota Land Cruiser with no top, no doors, cold as all get out, and I drive twice a week 40 minutes or so away in the next town and 2/3 times a week in my town. I think my drives are worth it, even though I can't feel my feet, hands and face afterwards, a drive an hour away with 2 other buddies and splitting the gas money would be great....go for it bro.

Back