Do you think Thiago Silva could have been an elite?

Rockman14

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Without all the drama (drugs, women issues, general craziness etc)

Look at his wins and then his losses, he has a pretty badass record and is a badass fighter as well, wish he could still fight in the UFC, the way he fought and KTFO Feijao was so cool.

Without all the drama (drugs, women issues, general craziness etc)

Look at his wins and then his losses, he has a pretty badass record and is a badass fighter as well, wish he could still fight in the UFC, the way he fought and KTFO Feijao was so cool.

He'd be a solid top 10 and his cut was BS

At one point I think he could have been. Not sure he would have won the title but when that belt was being traded almost every defense it seemed like he could have had a shot.

He had the potential no doubt. Just didn't have the discipline. But I doubt he would ever make it into the Top 5. Any Top 5 era smashes him.

The Talent was there , tough guy for multiple opponents gave Gus and Rashad good fights and was on a good Streak , and I think he could give Glover Hell

The Talent was there , tough guy for multiple opponents gave Gus and Rashad good fights and was on a good Streak , and I think he could give Glover Hell

Oh wow great matchup, I think thiago KO's glover.

No didn't have the skillset or the mindset

He had the heart, but he didn't have the soul. Wait a minute... he had the soul, but he didn't have the heart. Hold on a second... he had both the heart and the soul, but he didn't have the talent

Wanted to see Thiago vs. Manuwa real fucking bad.

I was always a fan.

I admired that in the blood craziness he had, it was genuine and not an act.

Figured he would be signed to OneFC or WSOF by now.

Yea, I think he could have been solid Top 10.

Facing Machida, Rashad, and Gus over a relatively short time is not easy.
He beat the next tier of fighter, just not the Top 5 types.

He didn't have solid TDD. His striking was aggressive and vicious, but not technical at the elite level. He had very good BJJ from the top position, but his bottom game consisted of just trying to get back up.
But this is criticism on a very high level. Thiago Silva was a Top 10 guy.

The guy needs to start fighting again. Pick up a few victories on the indy circuit, then most likely get signed by KSW or WSOF.

Elite? no.
But he was a solid top 10, hype was non existent after that boring fight with Rashad, fought once a year after that and failed 2 drug tests in 3 fights and faded into obscurity afterwards.

Playing bongos on Vera's back and slapping the shit out of his head was an MMA highlight for me.

Meh.

The truth is, he hadn't fought very many guys who counted for much before meeting Lyoto.

Since then his record is 3-3 with 2 NC, one for marijuana (which, on its own, I wouldn't much care about) and another for a urine test that came back 'inconsistent with human urine' (which is kind of a big deal).

Even one of his wins is tainted by the fact that he didn't make weight.

The guy looks badass when he's having his way... but he's nothing particularly special when he's in there with the best of the best.

And he's a loose canon.

And he's an asshat.

Sooooooo...

Last edited:
He's one of the best center backs in the world so in my opinion he is elite

He was almost there, his fight against Machida was a title eliminator.

Back