Do you think there should be some kind of farewell ceremony for notable fighters?

PlayTheGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I, for one, absolutely loved how Munoz left his gloves in the center of the octagon after his last fight.

It would be cool if the greats like Big Nog had their moment in the spotlight, lets say, between the fights during big events.

Dunno how it might look exactly, but these guys deserve a standing ovation while being inside the octagon for the last time.

IMG_43691-e1431859947316.jpg

the Munoz speech was a bit repetitive but it was his last fight and he was in the Philippines so it was fine.

i wouldnt mind seeing guys get some sort of ceremony during a big PPV or something. maybe right between the main and co-main events?

I like the gloves in the center of the ring thing. Harkens back to amateur wrestling where a wrestler would leave his shoes on the center of the matt to signal his retirement.

I like the idea of having a small ceremony for the fighter. Better than "Bye, guys" "Now, can we have your thoughts on the fight?"

Oh didn't know he was retired.
Nice to see that he could get a good win before that.

And yes I think some kind of ceremony should be made. Especially those that deserve legend status.

Ya I think their should be. People that gave it their all should be recognized in any business. I know first hand having seen people laid off who worked for a company for 30-40 years in some cases, walking out without any party or anything, is really depressing.
Could be something they do after the prelims and before the main card. Doesn't have to be some huge ceremony but some recognition would be nice.

Yes, I like this idea. :)

i think it should be up to them. Some guys might not feel the need.

Forrest should interview them like he did for Tito.

Eh, it would get weird when low level fighters want attention for retiring, who decided who gets air time?

When I order fights I'd rather just see the fights, if they want to say something after a fight sure, but considering cards are 90% filler, I don't need another 5-15 minutes of talking

They should. Right before the main event, they should be called to the octagon, receive some kind of award/gift/recognition and give a short speech/interview. Five minutes and leave under clapping. Would be cool.

Yes. Going out with a Facebook/twitter post is just going out with a whimper. There should be retirement fights. Or make special announcements at the end of a card. They owe them that

First off, it should only be reserved for fighters that will be missed. No extra air time should be given to mid or low level guys.

Second, I think the fighter should notify fans and the UFC beforehand that this is going to be their last fight. That makes it more special. The fans will really appreciate the fight if they know it's the last time they'll be seeing this guy. Also, it's a smart marketing move. More people will buy if they know one of the greats is having his swan song. Even if the fighter is not sure, he could still tell the public "If I win, I'll keep fighting, but if I lose I'm retiring." That will raise the stakes, so fans will be rooting extra hard for their guy, because if he loses they'll never see him fight again.

3rd, UFC needs to capitalize on this and make it into a spectacle. Maybe they have a special entrance, or Buffer gives them a special intro. Then after the fight they reserve an extra 3 minutes for them to grab the mic and say a few words to the audience.

I would love it if they did these things. It would really make it feel special. I don't even like WWE, but the Ric Flair retirement match and the Shawn Michaels retirement matches were two of the most awesome things I've ever seen on TV. Just because of the high emotions of the participants and the crowd, because everyone knew this was the last hurrah.

Back