Do you think the UFC would condone an Adesanya crossover fight in KICKBOXING??

redeyeguy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Dana White let Conor McGregor supersede his UFC contract once to fight Mayweather Jr. Why not the UFC's best striker?

I think that it would be very interesting to see Adesanya run it back in a kickboxing match against Alex Pereira, the only man to KO him (who also beat him twice). Israel remains a highly skilled striker despite focusing on MMA, and I think it would be quite the show.

The question is.... would Big Boss Dana ever allow it?

TO MODS: I posted this here because it relates to the UFC, its fighters, staff, contracts and transactions.

Pereira is focusing on MMA himself now and is signed to LFA, fairly high chances the UFC will try to pick him up at some point if he does well.
That is true.. if Pereira can prove to be successful in high level MMA, he would likely be a quick grab for the UFC. However, we've seen some strikers who just can't find their way around grappling, and either get submitted or KO'd because of it. Therefore, we'd need to be sure Pereira can remain a sharp and effective striker under MMA rules the way Adesanya, Wonderboy and a few others have.

I just figured that at this point, Pereira hasn't proved himself in MMA, but he has in kickboxing - Izzy's native sport - so they might as well face off in a straight up kickboxing match.

I like kickboxing but there is no reason to do a cross over bout. MMA is bigger than kickboxing and there is no money in that sport.

They made the Conor/Floyd fight because it generated hundreds of millions. Everyone got a piece. If something similar would come up they'd do it again. Be it a Paul brother or a pro wrestler, doesn't matter, just the numbers do. Those aren't there in kickboxing. Adesanya sells well in the UFC, so they use his talents as champ there.

That is true.. if Pereira can prove to be successful in high level MMA, he would likely be a quick grab for the UFC. However, we've seen some strikers who just can't find their way around grappling, and either get submitted or KO'd because of it. Therefore, we'd need to be sure Pereira can remain a sharp and effective striker under MMA rules the way Adesanya, Wonderboy and a few others have.

I just figured that at this point, Pereira hasn't proved himself in MMA, but he has in kickboxing - Izzy's native sport - so they might as well face off in a straight up kickboxing match.

His debut he got a KO in the first round (Alex that is) and is on a 3 fight finish streak, there's still some time. I don't think Kickboxing has enough hype or $ around it to generate enough interest to bother, they'd legit make more $ fighting in MMA I think, or even just straight boxing.. I can't see it, not with Pereira, Maybe some huge Tik-Toc star who thinks they have the kickboxing skills.

I don't think Adesanya would want that.
Small reward, kickboxing doesn't sell.
Huge risk, getting KTFO by Pereira again, who is just a better kickboxer.

The marketing would really have to be aimed at UFC fans, and kickboxing fans, as some "world's best striker" type of concept (although I'd put some other strikers above even them). Adesanya is a good draw, and from what we've seen, UFC fans (both casual and hardcore) have a love for strikers, whether they are knockout artists or just extremely clean and technical. You can agree that sometimes the crowd will even boo when a UFC match stops being a kickboxing match and becomes a wrestling-match. Plus, this would be a grudge match. So I mean, if pitched the right way to the public, I think this would have the potential to sell well. I don't see why this would flop.

No because against top competition he is likely to lose and it would look way worse than Conor losing to the Goat boxer.
Also there is not that much money in kickboxing and most people wouldnt even care about it so numbers would be low unless he fights some celebrity

No because against top competition he is likely to lose and it would look way worse than Conor losing to the Goat boxer.
Also there is not that much money in kickboxing and most people wouldnt even care about it so numbers would be low unless he fights some celebrity
So you mean that Adesanya losing to a simultaneous two weight class kickboxing world champion would somehow discredit UFC's best striker, their middleweight division, etc?? I'm just wondering how that would hurt the UFC/Adesanya's image as it is.

Unfortunate that kickboxing doesn't generate that kind of money. The highest payouts for professional kickboxing is about $1million USD, which is fairly uncommon, and elite MMA generally offers same or more to champions. Also doesn't generate all the same ad revenue and social media buzz. Really unfortunate because it seems that the casual UFC fans (you can tell by the crowd reactions) get most of their thrills from the kickboxing moments, and I'd imagine the hardcore fans love a good striking match even more.

Conor vs Mayweather was a historic thing with predictable results. Its kinda pointless beyond here,unless something drastically different comes along that we dont expect. Puttin an MMA fighter in a kickboxing wont really bring a huge audience that makes it worth it.

So you mean that Adesanya losing to a simultaneous two weight class kickboxing world champion would somehow discredit UFC's best striker, their middleweight division, etc?? I'm just wondering how that would hurt the UFC/Adesanya's image as it is.

Unfortunate that kickboxing doesn't generate that kind of money. The highest payouts for professional kickboxing is about $1million USD, which is fairly uncommon, and elite MMA generally offers same or more to champions. Also doesn't generate all the same ad revenue and social media buzz. Really unfortunate because it seems that the casual UFC fans (you can tell by the crowd reactions) get most of their thrills from the kickboxing moments, and I'd imagine the hardcore fans love a good striking match even more.
I mean if they fought in MMA it would likely just be a striking match no?

I mean if they fought in MMA it would likely just be a striking match no?
It would, but to go back to an earlier post I made, Pereira hasn't proven himself in MMA - not like Adesanya has. It would be silly to see Adesanya get KO'd under MMA rules, then Pereira gets sub'd defending the belt lol. As of right now, no one knows if Pereira will ever make it that far in MMA. So it seems that a grudge match in Izzy's native sport would be a sweet concept fight that wouldn't be out of place. Maybe have it take place within a multi-sport event, with some stupid boxer vs celebrity match as the final fight. Perhaps that would add extra novelty for the trend-thirsty public.

I mean that is imo because a)casuals are dumb and b) Adesanya is also supposed to be a world class kickboxer, so when he loses people would argue he has lost that or kickboxing is superior in striking than mma standup.

Just saying this isnt my opinion, but how i believe some people might see it. And what the UFC would hold against the idea.

Why tf would Dana promote kickboxing? He already said no cuz Muricans sucks at it

Pereira did an mma fight and legit almost killed the guy (he didnt move for 10-15 minutes), then did a glory fight a few weeks later and barely squeaked by this short Russian guy

Alex probably still beats the shit out of Izzy

Pereira did an mma fight and legit almost killed the guy (he didnt move for 10-15 minutes), then did a glory fight a few weeks later and barely squeaked by this short Russian guy

That short Russian guy was Vakhitov, one of the best LHW kickboxers on the planet right now and who was the champ. There's no shame in barely squeaking past a guy like that. I didn't even think Alex deserved the nod. Thought Vakhitov clearly won lol.

It shouldn't be surprising that Alex can easily put down an MMA fighter if he gets his strikes off. Vakhitov would destroy every MMA LHW in history as well in a pure kickboxing match.

There's no money in kickboxing. There's a reason why all the over the hill MMA fighters try to get themselves a boxing paycheck.

Back