Do you think that ring rust will effect Vitor Belfort at UFC 184?

Frank23

Enter Sandman Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Vitor Belfort has not fought since November 9, 2013 when he beat Dan Henderson via KO (head kick) in the first round. He is fighting for the UFC Middleweight Championship at UFC 184 on February 28, 2015. Does anyone think that ring rust might be a major factor in his fight against Chris Weidman?

[YT]LAJAY3gpOsg[/YT]

chris-weidman-vitor-belfort-coletivaufc-evelynrodrigues.jpg

Last edited:
If I recall vitor has come back from worse layoffs

As far as I can tell, staying active is always important, no matter who you are. That doesn't mean it will necessarily be the cause of a loss, but it won't be doing him any favors either.

Yes, he will dance around to much giving Weidmann too many chances to shoot in.
Nevertheless a great fight.

TRT rust.. It would be pretty incredible if Vitor won. He's got so much going against him.

Having a 6th of the hormone that makes a man a man then his last fight might.

Does anyone think that ring rust might be a major factor in his fight against Chris Weidman?
I've read somewhere that fighters coming off long layoffs have a thirty-something percent winrate.
So yes, it's important and it'll be a factor.

If I recall vitor has come back from worse layoffs
Anderson in 2011 after year+ layoff - lost
Chuck in 2002 after year+ layoff - lost
Yvel in 2000 after year+ loayoff - won
So Vitor is 1-2 in his post-layoff fights.

P.S. Post-layoff Vitor is exactly 33% successful. Guess that article about post-layoff winrate was true.

Yes.
Christ Weidman is going to fuck him up

Yes, but probably not as much as the lack of trt will. Anything can happen in mma, but I would truly be shocked if Belfort even wins a round

It's crazy that his first fight back will be a title fight with a long layoff and a lack of TRT. The factors are not in his favor. I will be super super super impressed if Vitor pulls it off. I expect that he looks old and slow against the ever improving Weidman and Weidman gets a TKO via ground and pound.

I don't see this going to the judges.

For comparison, Weidman won't have fought in 8 months on fight night and has delayed two fights due to injuries. Not much difference.
If (more likely when) Vitor loses it won't be because of ring rust.

I've read somewhere that fighters coming off long layoffs have a thirty-something percent winrate.
So yes, it's important and it'll be a factor.

Anderson in 2011 after year+ layoff - lost
Chuck in 2002 after year+ layoff - lost
Yvel in 2000 after year+ loayoff - won
So Vitor is 1-2 in his post-layoff fights.

P.S. Post-layoff Vitor is exactly 33% successful. Guess that article about post-layoff winrate was true.

Thanks for looking this up.

I think Weidman would have fucked him up regardless

Back