Do you think "octagon control" is a worthwhile criteria for judges?

If 2 dudes are landing evenly, the fight is a motherfucking draw.

How hard is that to determine? Jesus

A grandmother who has never seen a fight in her life could come up with that solution.

No way.

If one guy is back pedaling the whole fight and the other guy is pushing forward, the decision on who to award is obvious.

Just look at Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes.

That was exactly the scenario, and the right guy was awarded the decision.

Where I agree with you, in a sense, is Thiago Silva vs. Rashad Evans.

Even though Rashad had octagon control and took Thiago down, Thiago still outstruck Rashad on the ground, and by a large margin, outstruck Rashad on the feet.

If the guy is doing more damage on the ground and on the feet, then I agree that octagon control should be negligible.

However if the concept, which is octagon control, is based purely off of moving foward and backward, even if the damage is the same, I would award the guy pushing forward for wanting to press the action and fight.

If one guy is back pedaling the whole fight and the other guy is pushing forward, the decision on who to award is obvious.
wide.jpg

garciawindmill.gif

i guess it works if theres nothing else goin in the fight and the judges needs some basis to go on to score it if it goes to decision

i too think damage should take precedence over oc

No way.

Just look at Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes.

That was exactly the scenario, and the right guy was awarded the decision.

Where I agree with you, in a sense, is Thiago Silva vs. Rashad Evans.

Even though Rashad had octagon control and took Thiago down, Thiago still outstruck Rashad on the ground, and by a large margin, outstruck Rashad on the feet.

If the guy is doing more damage on the ground and on the feet, then I agree that octagon control should be negligible.

However if the concept, which is octagon control, is based purely off of moving foward and backward, even if the damage is the same, I would award the guy pushing forward for wanting to press the action and fight.

If two guys do literally the same amount of damage to each other, the fight is a draw.

That is the easiest concept on Earth to understand. Its a fight.

The only way it is a good criteria is when no strikes are landing and nothing else is going on in that case you have to give the edge to the fighter moving forward .

If two guys do literally the same amount of damage to each other, the fight is a draw.

That is the easiest concept on Earth to understand. Its a fight.

If two guys do equal damage, then there are other factors to help decide the winner like effective aggression and octagon control. If its equal, I'd give the aggressor the advantage.

Of course this is very broad and I would look at it by a case by case scenario and not try to generalize everything.

Damage should be the number one deciding factor in who wins a fight, everything else should be after that. That is why I hate the 10 point scoring system, we have all seen fights where one fighter did more damage in 1 round than the other fighter did the entire fight but ends up losing a 2 rounds to 1 decision.

Control is a worthwhile scoring criteria, I just think that it's valued way to much compared to other criteria.

I was going to answer your question until I read your post. Anderson vs. Leben? WTF?

It's way easier to back off an counter than chase I guy down. So it should be a tie breaker but nothing more.

It's way easier to back off an counter than chase I guy down. So it should be a tie breaker but nothing more.

Agreed. It's a factor, but if a guy is getting his ass kicked then it's not a deciding factor(Leonard Garcia fights for example). In stalemate fights(like Tibau vs Khabib), I'd give the advantage to the agressor, the guy who's pushing the fight.

Vera/Couture comes to mind.

Yes octagon control should be strongly considered.

while I like the idea of more then 3 judges... 12 is a bit much and allows for a tie.
I think 5 or 7 might be a good idea...

how exactly do you know that some who controls his opponent on the ground is
actually being scored under octagon control and not grappling. fucking with the scoring
will probably make things worse not better. Judges who understand what they are
looking at is probably a better idea.

and damage cannot be used effectively... how do you tell who won the fight...
the guy with an ugly, bloody gash from one blow or the guy with a couple of broken
ribs who doesnt bruise easily...
you would need doctors examining both fighters to determine who won.

the problem with octagon control is that most of the time it's the guy moving forward that is controlling where the fight is taking place. But that isn't always the case.

This is easy, no. It should be done on things that actually matter in fighting your opponent. Either doing or attempting to do damage to your opponent. Also, what is controlling the octagon? Does that mean you are always pushing forward or sometimes in the clinch you press the other guy against the cage? There are some good counter strikers that don't mind the other guy coming at them, but by this rule, they are losing part of the judging criteria.

It's like if you had one guy who is trying to do nothing but hug his opponent without inflicting any damage, and he succeeds at his game plan more so than the other guy who is trying to take his head off, the guy who did all the hugging for the majority of the round would win based on octagon control. Much like colten smith vs ricci. But if they brought in a 'damage beats octagon control' rule, we would see far less hugging and more wrestlers trying to inflict damage as opposed to just hugging their opponent to death.

Back