Do you think movie stars are extremely special people?

In most cases, its not the acting that earns the a listers the money, its having the face, being willing to do what it takes for the part (losing/gaining weight, cutting hair, getting ripped), and dealing with colossal amounts of nonsense during a movie shoot... I was an extra in a movie once and it took hours to shoot one scene that might have lasted 10 seconds... imagine that, all day and for a few months.

I think a lot of them have an overinflated sense of self-importance brought on by pathetic worshippers and hangers-on. There are a few I appreciate, but overall if I saw one out and about I certainly wouldn't walk up the them and do the silly "hey, I love your work," line.

Some are very talented people that had some luck go their way.
Others are just well-connected Jews with marginal talent and butt-ugly looks.

I'm an actor, so take this with a grain of salt and/or biblical reverence...

First, there's a difference between "Actor" and "Movie Star". Someone can be one or both.

Ultimately, in order to become a truly great Actor (De Niro, Streep, DDL etc etc etc) requires a fuck load of talent, skill, passion, will power and drive. Most people only focus on an Actor's body of work, ignoring the years of training and hard work it takes to get there. The hardest part about being an Actor, hands down, is the struggle at the start of your career, the times when you're working shitty jobs, not getting any acting work and wondering if you actually have the talent to make it work, because there's no objective way to measure it. You also need to be lucky. You need to get the right opportunity at the right time.

So, there's that side of things. Acting is an art form like any other and real actors deserve the same amount of respect as other artists (which ultimately is up to the individual I guess).

Then... there's the Movie Stars.

Being a Movie Star isn't necessarily about being a good actor. Sure, some Movie Stars are good actors (Pitt, Cruise etc) but it's not necessary (Leto, Megan Fox, Orlando Bloom etc). Movie Stars are almost always really, really good looking, young and super lucky with the roles they land.

You can craft a career as a Movie Star, but it's got more to do with managing publicity, making appearances, knowing the right people and it involves even more luck than being an Actor. It's also usually far more fleeting as it's incredibly unlikely that you'll stay as "Star". In fact, the ones who do are almost always Actors too (Pitt, Cruise, Newman etc).

IMO, the fame of Movie Stars is inflated grossly, partly due to the studios pushing their fame as far as they can, to increase publicity and ticket sales.

Movies have been the dominant entertainment form for the better part of the past century, which is why Movie Stars have been so highly "regarded" and so damn famous.

Personally, I couldn't care less about movie stars... but my knees would turn to jelly if I got the opportunity to meet a real artistic Actor like DDL or the late great Phillip Seymour Hoffman. The same would be true if met Scorsese or PT Anderson, as I rank them the same.

they are all incredibly vain bastards. they live and work in a fantasy world.
they are a complete waste of space, as are all the supermodels.
they love talking about themselves. plus they call what they do for work, craft! give us a break.
overpaid.

No more special than other artists, if they have talent.

They have the halo effect because on top of being artistic talents (or in spite of it) they tend to be good looking, charismatic communicators.

Last edited:
Less special than ppl that really create something great like screenwriters, directors and songwriters.
Equivalent to pop singers but slightly lower.

You could have mentioned Under the Skin, Lost in Translation, Ghost World, Vicky Christian Barcelona, Match Point, Don Jon, The Prestige, even her mere voice work on Her, but instead you reduced Scarlett to her role in The Avengers as a mean of belittling her. Sorry, but your ignorance is shining. She's no Denise Richards. Hell, she's not even a Jennifer Love Hewitt. If Scarlett "cheapened" celebrity, then she wouldn't have lasted. Even the prettiest actresses without talent don't last. They are relegated to scraping for network/cable television roles, or starring in B-movies, or they simply outright disappear altogether. These days that breed could probably get some "accidentally leaked" sex tape work.

Not Scarlett. She doesn't need it. Why? Because she can act. Flat out. The girl has chops.

Furthermore, she goes beyond that. Scarlett is really the closest thing we have to an actress carrying Marilyn Monroe's torch as the defining seductress of her generation. She's the first person in history to win Esquire's "Sexiest Woman Alive" twice. She's in People magazine's list every year. She's probably won more major awards like that than any other living woman. That alone reflects that she possesses an extremely special, goddess-like trait justifying her transcendence to "celebrity" status.

This was a little bit creepy
. Goddess like trait?????
I dont find her that atttactive. She was hot in the island though.
She is fucking annoying as the black widow and the worst part of all the movies she plays her in.
ive seen the prestige many many times and was trying to think whether or not she was even in it when I read ur post. But ya she is.

I respect what they do but I don't worship them.

I think she's beautiful and talented, but I definitely don't think she has qualities that are super rare. Beauty and talent are quite common, especially with actresses.

Even if Scarlett did have some qualities that are super-rare, it doesn't even matter as far as her becoming a star, you don't need to be special to be a movie star. If you're related to somebody who is a star, for example, you're guaranteed work.

Now, to be at the top, you have to have charisma and a good look, and be able to act at least a little bit. But I was saying that for many actors, they are movie stars without all that....it's enough to be someone's son, daughter, or other blood-relative.

Scarlet is wonderful but she's not one of those transcendent chameleon-like actors, she has her roles that work for her and others where she's limited. Her appeal is mostly due to her beauty and seductive qualities like that husky voice.

She's also so respected because we saw her as a child actor fulfill expectations by growing up not only into a beautiful actress but a solid talent with noteworthy performances when she was still pretty young.

Celebrity worship is for peasants and vagrants, adjust yourself accordingly.

lots of envy itt, lots of people simplifying what it takes to be a movie star but realistically you couldn't do it because you have neither the looks, talent or connections lol
that said yeah they shouldn't be worshiped, but do you really care if other people do?

Of course they're fucking special. Holy shit at the envy and bitterness lmao.

I think some actors are special. I mean guys like Daniel Day Lewis, who transform themselves into their character, are obviously doing things that most other are not capable of doing. But most actors are just people who pursued acting enough to appear believable on camera and had a lot of luck. There is nothing extraordinary about them.

Movie stars aren't often that great at their chosen profession

This right here.

I would imagine the ones that do enjoy success enough to place them on the A-list are probably fairly inept in many aspects of 'normal' day to day living. Society has placed strange value in entertainment.

I think some actors are special. I mean guys like Daniel Day Lewis, who transform themselves into their character, are obviously doing things that most other are not capable of doing. But most actors are just people who pursued acting enough to appear believable on camera and had a lot of luck. There is nothing extraordinary about them.

I guess that's how it goes with any art form eh? Literature, painting, film, music... popularity doesn't equal talent.

They are usually hot and smart.

Plenty of better looking people aren't making bank in hollywood.

But personally I want to what Ja-Rule has to say about this.

Does your husband work for Glee? surprised about Leto, is he 'that' famous?
No, was Leto on Glee? I've not watched it in years.
Nice to hear that she's nice. I like her music but it wouldn't have surprised if somebody said that it all went to her head. Seems unavoidable at her level of success. She's been on the top of the charts since 2005 with Pon de Replay.
Nivea fired her in the end because she didn't really fit the woman young girls should aspire to be mould but I still think it was a really chill girl.

Hell no. They are professional fakers. I appreciate what they do, but I have more respect for people like brain surgeons or rocket scientists.

Back