Do you think Kattar would have been as resilient if Ortega Vs Holloway didn’t happen

Marko Polo

Thank you Jurgen
@Black
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Calvin Kattar, dude showed the best display of heart I’ve seen in a long time. What he did was something I’ve wanted to see a fighter do for ages, but it didn’t work out for him. When he was getting tee’d off on with no option but to fall, he started to swing back defiantly. Very few fighters will do this.

I can’t help but think that after seeing Ortega get demolished by Max that any potential opponents for Max will be going in adamant that it won’t happen to them. I know it seems a little unfair on Calvin to say this, but yeah, it’s simply because of how absurd his determination was that I feel it won’t be replicated very often, if at all.

Kattar was in shape. Is a striker at heart. UFC being on ABC. High stakes matchup in the FW division.

All that prob made Kattar more resilient.

giphy.gif

Max is getting that belt back :p

I'm sure every fighter goes in there aware of all potential outcomes, it's fighting, and most go in there with doubts it's natural. And in the 2nd round when Holloway began picking it up Kattar would have been aware that Holloway only throws more volume as the fight goes on. I think Kattar just tried to survive to the final bell once it went into the 3rd.

He has the boxing fundamentals enough to cover up as opposed to close his eyes and fall like most MMA fighters which saved him from being tkoed. He's good he just got exhausted and outclassed.

That doesn't effect/change anything about Calvin's heart. Dude would've died standing before going down, regardless of anything.

Calvin found out theres levels above jeremy stephens.

I'm sure every fighter goes in there aware of all potential outcomes, it's fighting, and most go in there with doubts it's natural. And in the 2nd round when Holloway began picking it up Kattar would have been aware that Holloway only throws more volume as the fight goes on. I think Kattar just tried to survive to the final bell once it went into the 3rd.

He has the boxing fundamentals enough to cover up as opposed to close his eyes and fall like most MMA fighters which saved him from being tkoed. He's good he just got exhausted and outclassed.
What round was it when Kattar just threw back with everything he had while he was badly hurt? Don't think he was thinking about survival there. At that point it was kill or be killed. Then Max was like "alright no need to give this guy anymore brain damage, we're getting paid anyways"

What round was it when Kattar just threw back with everything he had while he was badly hurt? Don't think he was thinking about survival there. At that point it was kill or be killed. Then Max was like "alright no need to give this guy anymore brain damage, we're getting paid anyways"

Round 4 I think. Kattar starting swinging elbows and right hands back and Max just stepped back and was like, "hmmm, okay then" then Max tried a takedown on him instead.

Toughness aside, Kattar just isn't as amazing as people here wanted him to be.

Zabit soundly outboxed him for 2/3rds of their fight.
Renato kicked the shit out of his legs.

He hasn't shown any great grappling or wrestling.

Toughness aside, Kattar just isn't as amazing as people here wanted him to be.

Zabit soundly outboxed him for 2/3rds of their fight.
Renato kicked the shit out of his legs.

He hasn't shown any great grappling or wrestling.

I think his ranking at 6 is pretty accurate as of right now. He's proven that he's good, but not ready for the greats.

He found a second wind, sometimes the best way to get somebody off you is to threaten them.

I think he just had heart. I think they corner should have threw in the towel. There was a point in the fight where his punches no longer had power behind them and he landed a few they just didn't do anything.

The fight that changed the game was Yair vs KZ. It's gotta be harder to shake that already unshakable delusional feeling that there's gotta be a chance when there clearly isn't any after seeing Rodriguez pull that shit off.

But I think it's dumb. And the corner needs to make that decision - throw in the towel, don't wait on the ref. Nothing good came out of Ant Smith, Dan Hooker (vs Barboza), Ortega, Kattar and others taking these beatings except less miles to go in their careers. If you realize you're useless with no hope in sight, just call it. I don't need 2-3 more rounds of you just getting snuffed.

It's a competition, if you can't compete - just take the L and live to fight another day. Come back better.

Kattar's an awesome fighter, for example - we may have gotten him back sooner and healthier had his corner saved his ass in Round 3. But no, he'll need serious time off.

Not to take anything away from Calvin Kattar, dude showed the best display of heart I’ve seen in a long time. What he did was something I’ve wanted to see a fighter do for ages, but it didn’t work out for him. When he was getting tee’d off on with no option but to fall, he started to swing back defiantly. Very few fighters will do this.

I can’t help but think that after seeing Ortega get demolished by Max that any potential opponents for Max will be going in adamant that it won’t happen to them. I know it seems a little unfair on Calvin to say this, but yeah, it’s simply because of how absurd his determination was that I feel it won’t be replicated very often, if at all.
im answering your thread title only: yes. fighters attributes are not decided by other fighters having separate bouts.

You won't see anyone try and box Max anymore. Kattar thought he could knock Max out since he has a lot of power. They will watch the Volk fights and try and gameplan the same. Two guys tried (Kattar and Ortega) and they got demolished. If Max goes to LW he gets destroyed by guys there. They are too big and strong for him.

Back