Do you think Jones would have beaten Cormier in a pure wrestling match?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by emax, Jan 3, 2015.

1. emax

emax Black Belt

Given the differences in there wrestling pedigree, particularly in that Jones was never even close to making the Olympic team, what do you think would happen if this was a pure freestyle wrestling match between them?

I think the issue is that sometimes the best wrestlers don't have the best ability to translate their wrestling into MMA. It seems like Cormier is the much better pure wrestler but adding in the standup game and Muay Thai Clinch created a situation where he just could not use his superior wrestling. Does that seem to you like what happened? And if not, why do you think Cormier was not able to win the wrestling game here despite the fact that he is probably the better pure wrestler?

2. emax

emax Black Belt

Also, does anyone think Jones is the better pure wrestler despite never having been able to make the US Olympic wrestling team?

3. Gritz**

Gritz** Banned Banned

Not sure, wrestling doesn't have the threat of strikes but I'll be honest, I've never watched a full wrestling match so idk what to look for

4. XociDe

XociDe Green Belt

Because MMA wrestling and the sport of wrestling are completely different. We've known this for YEARS.

5. coq

coq Blue Belt

No.

6. eternaldarkness

eternaldarkness Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

this is the reason i bet on jones. this isn't wrestling and the knee is the best weapon against a grappler.

7. warriorfan808

warriorfan808 Black Belt

I don't think so.

8. straight6

straight6 Black Belt

MMA wrestling different from pure wrestling.

If were the same then I guess Gus is better wrestler than JJ and Corimier since Gus took down Jones like 3x during their fight lol

9. astrallite

astrallite Blue Belt

Yeah it's completely different with the threat of knees, elbows, and uppercuts. If you changed Olympic wrestling to allow strikes within grappling range I doubt many Olympic champions would be medalling again lol. It completely changes the competition.

10. Phisher

Phisher Gold Belt

How do you know that Jones wouldn't have been good enough to make the Olympic team if he stuck with amateur wrestling?

11. Scyther

Scyther Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Look Jones is literally my favorite fighter and I think he would lose. Especially if DC didn't have to cut weight.

12. ZuffaExecutive

ZuffaExecutive Red Belt

He took him down once in the first.what fight did u watch

13. Adamant

Adamant GOLD BELT

No way

14. straight6

straight6 Black Belt

actually we both wrong. Gus went 2/8 for take downs according to fight metrics.

15. emax

emax Black Belt

I don't know for sure, but the collegiate wrestling records of Jones vs those on the Olympic team are a key factor. Olympic team members ar eusually Div 1 NCAA All Americans, often at least top 3, and Jones fought at the JUCO/Community College level which is not even close. If Jones was a multiple JUCO champ who was undefeated and won almost all his matches by pin, tech fall or majority decision then I would say he could have made the Olympic team but in general if you are wrestling at the JUCO level your odds of being able to get to the Olympic team are very, very slim to none. And it is not about his academic issues either; wrestlers who are truly good enough to get to NCAA Div 1 schools get there even if their academic records aren't the greatest (many of them don't even bother taking a full course load and just have summer school instead).

16. You mean 27 year old Daniel vs 27 Jon Jones or 36 year old Cormier vs 27 year old Bones?

17. IndyCovaHart

IndyCovaHart Gold Belt

Jones beats him at everything including Connect Four.

Next challenger (aka victim) please.

18. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Forum Moderator

Why does it matter? Jones is an MMA fighter, not a wrestler. And he showed he's the better MMA fighter than Cormier. That's the only thing of any importance.

19. emax

emax Black Belt

Let's say both scenarios, 36 year old Cormeir vs 27 year old Jones and then Cormier vs Jones when they are the same age. Then what do you think?