Do you think Jones and company regret the Deadspin article/access?

mma midwest fan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm sure many have read the long form article on Deadspin about Jones that came out before the Cormier fight. Jones and company gave him a ton of access to their inner workings for his article. It sounds like he had to win their trust beforehand.

Anyhow, I think the article is fair, and I'm impressed with Greg Howard's ability to write honestly and not fall into the trap of doing fluff/promo pieces in exchange for continued access.

When the coke news broke, Howard was already quoting his sources at Jacksons saying that they were surprised it took Bones this long to pop. That told me that he is not in any way trying to kiss Jones's ass.

Do you think that Greg Howard is now persona non grata with Jones and company? Do you think they feel "duped" in giving him access?

Last edited:
oh yeah. That guy tried so hard to like Jones and paint him in a positive light. He did for a while. But the conclusion he came to was that this guy may be a sociopath

yeah for sure. There was also a part in the article about Jones giving his number to the waitress and (imo) implied infidelity on Jones part. I don't think they're friendly at this point. lol

if anything it was expected

theyre the ones to make a detailed article about mayweather's charges (dunno if the first one)

the title of the article

Jon Jones, Overachiever, Beats Alleged Cocaine Addiction In 24 Hours

HAHAHA

Honestly think Jones is a sociopath, just not a smart one.

i'm sure they prohibited any questions related to his poor life choices to keep the article positive. even if he addressed the supposed drug rumors all jones would have to say is 'next question' or end the interview.

i thought it was still a good article that gave a bit more insight to jones. he still a complete enigma. i wish someone could give him a full psychological breakdown to see how he thinks, etc...he just seems like an odd one.

I watched Jones compete in his first submission grappling tournament in Ithaca around 2008, maybe 2007. They held the team tournament and he subbed like 3 heavyweights from the advanced/expert division pretty quickly through shear strength, athleticism, and his all-american wrestling background.

I thought to myself this guy could make the UFC someday.

Then after his team won and he's beat all the advanced heavyweights he tries to sandbag and register in then novice division for the individual tournament so he can murder kids new to the sport. Luckily head trainers told the organizers they wouldn't put their white belts out there against him and they made Jones go into the advanced division, which he won.

I thought to myself this guy has some serious ego issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back