Do you think JDS is really the man to beat at Heavyweight?

Well, he has the best ressume at HW by far at the moment and won every fight in the UFC pretty easily and he has the belt.

So I would say yes, he is the man.

The last paragraph was enough, why a so long post to said nothing?

but as I explained in the OP, that's not the main reason. The main reason is simply how good he seems to be. (see: the part of the OP about Hype/Potential/Momentum) it's the same reason Glover is a big favorite over Rampage Jackson despite never having fought anyone close to Rampage's level.

Oddmakers and fans somehow knew that Overeem was almost certainly going to beat Werdum.

In a "possible future fight" oddsmakers even had Overeem favored to beat Fedor BEFORE Fedor lost to Werdum.

Why is that? Because despite not completely proving it yet with a bunch of top wins, people can just tell how good he is. (Of course the grand prix and demolishing brett rogers after he nearly beat fedor helped a lot too)

I know people will say this isn't K1 and people will discredit Brett Rogers (despite how close he came to beating Fedor and how easily he demolished Arlovski) but I can see how great Alistair is. No one ever ragdolled Crocop the way he did before the lowblows. Not even in all his past his prime losses has Crocop looked as bad as he did against Overeem.

Alistair Overeem is the best striker Heavyweight has ever seen; plus very well rounded. He's got a great ability to take people down with throws/tosses, he has amazing GNP, he has fantastic submissions.

He's proven his takedown defense against the #1 guy he needed to prove it against.

What more is there? Oh that's right, people think the MMA boxer JDS can crack his "glass jaw"

The whole idea of him having a glass jaw btw, is 90% based on LHW fights in which he was drained and fatigued, and a fight against Sergei Kharitonov, one of the hardest punchers in MMA, back when Alistair was still fighting with the body of a LHW (that fight literally happened 7 months after his 2nd loss to shogun at lhw)

since the Sergei fight... where's his "glass jaw" been? He went to K1 for gods sake. The only person in k1 to finish him was the man considered to be the best in all of K1 and he only did it via two technical knockdowns (in which alistair was stumbling more than anything)

that's not a glass jaw...

glass jaw is someone like gabe gonzaga or arlovski who suddenly turns off like a light when the power goes out as soon as someone touches the chin.

People's idea of a glass jaw when it comes to Alistair is Tyrone Spong LIGHTLY stunning him enough to make him cover up (he wasn't even stumbling) and that's Tyrone f'n Spong, a way better striker than Junior.

but if your minds made up i guess there's nothing I can say. Your'e just going to have to see it for yourself.

Because some fluke or injury aside, I expect Alistair to walk through Bigfoot effortlessly and then dominate JDS.

Cain is the only real threat because he can throw strikes while alistair is worried about the takedown (like werdum did---but something reem won't worry about with JDS)

You're going on about Overeem's hype and people's expectations but when the fight was first announced, oddsmakers had JDS as the -240 favorite. This makes your whole argument irrelevant. Your expectations of the fight are completely different than popular opinion. JDS is seen as the baddest man on the planet by a large majority of people.

Bringing up Glover vs. Rampage doesn't serve your point. GLOVER IS THE FAVORITE. Reem is not.

Junior has proven that he's the man to beat at HW. He's beaten everyone that's been put in front of him and beaten them badly. I was a supporter of Reem and still think that a fight between them could be an epic clash of 2 great strikers. I've soured on Reem though, I foolishly gave him the benefit of the doubt and hoped he was a clean fighter when it's obvious that he's not. This isn't a court of law and I don't need undeniable proof to know that he's a cheater.
Junior appears to be a hard working clean fighter who takes an incredible amount of pride in being the best. I think he crushes Reem when they fight

JDS > Reem, Cain, Cormier, etc.

JDS has the belt, clearly he's the one to beat...

The only mma and k1 champ ever, dream and strikeforce champ, on a huge winning streak, hasnt been beat in years, has looked absolutely unstoppable the last few years, yeah hes the man to beat.

(Holy crap) . . .
Because some fluke or injury aside, I expect Alistair to walk through Bigfoot effortlessly and then dominate JDS.

Cain is the only real threat because he can throw strikes while alistair is worried about the takedown (like werdum did---but something reem won't worry about with JDS)

Been saying it forever. JDS wrecks Overeem and anyone else that wants to simply strike with him. Why?

Chin.

And the way Alistair's striking defense looks letting people touch his face as much as they want while he looks to land some huge punch? It's JDS you're punching. A guy that Carwin, Yvel, Nelson, Cain, Crocop, Mir never even phased. Goodnight, Overeem.

The NH is strong in you, I'll give you that, but no blind amount of bias is going to change the fact that JDS is a nightmare matchup for Overeem. More than any wrestler, even. If Overeem was notorious for wrestling or takedowns, it MIGHT be a different story. If he had a solid chin on him, it might be a different story. If JDS didn't have a stellar chin, it might be a different story. But Overeem needs to hope they give him someone else besides JDS if he beats Bigfoot. Hell. Cormier even has his number.

But Overeem cheated. His "momentum" is tainted, which makes it meaningless imo. People will get upset at that notion, but it is what it is. The winner of the JDS/Cain rematch is the top dog in the MMA world.

Not by a long shot. When Overeem smashes JDS or Cain...it really doesnt matter. Then Overeem will be top dog.

I really dont see anybody at HW being able to beat Overeem. Thats just the way it is.

The only mma and k1 champ ever, dream and strikeforce champ, on a huge winning streak, hasnt been beat in years, has looked absolutely unstoppable the last few years, yeah hes the man to beat.

You are very correct and agreed.

He beat a murderers row to earn his shot then defended his belt twice against top comp. Yeah he's the man to beat.

Murderers row...lololol....was the murderer Struve perhaps? JDS has not beat anybody impressive and neither has Overeem in MMA.

Overeem will roll over JDS though and that will be that. :icon_chee

The champion of the division is always the man to beat. The point of the sport is to win the belt.

Junior dos santos is the reigning defending UFC champion. The man who KO'd Cain who many dubbed the new fedor in like a minute, and hasn't lost inside the octagon. Overeem is good, but is a proven cheater and hasn't won a title in the number one organization in the world, bottom line. Until he fights junior and wins, junior is the baddest man alive.

Absolutely this, and the Werdum fight was the opposite of impressive. Werdum, and by extension Overeem didn't gain any magical powers by beating Fedor. Don't be a child, ts.

Real world results > big muscles

Flopping like a fish = Something that Werdum has never done as much before or since he fought Overeem. Werdum fought scared and cowardly. It is what it is.

JDS will have no choice but to stand...unless Overeem decides to take him down..which is a very real possibility.

Overeem wins that fight no matter where it goes.

Last edited:
Not by a long shot. When Overeem smashes JDS or Cain...it really doesnt matter. Then Overeem will be top dog.

I really dont see anybody at HW being able to beat Overeem. Thats just the way it is.

It's a quirky situation. Overeem very well may crush everyone he fights, but because he cheated... shrug. His entire career and any legacy will be tainted.

Overeem's chin cannot take a punch from Dos Santos. I'm much more excited of this fight than Cain/JDS but it's no brainer what's gonna happen here.

I love K1 and follow it very closely but unfortunately for overeem this is MMA. The larger gloves aren't there for him to use as striking defense. Overeem tends to get hit by average and better strikers in MMA due to his piss poor striking defense.

He made a career of getting his jaw cracked at LHW and the one time he fought a great boxer in MMA he got it broke again after turning and jogging away.

JDS will find his chin and he will prove that it is a weakness.

I'll tell you man, this is one of those perfect examples of "did you even read my post?"

because everything you said was something I already explained in the post that you quoted... i feel like the best way to reply to your post is to quote what I said in the post that you fucking quoted lol.

But just to be more clear: You said "He made a career of getting his jaw cracked at LHW," I said "This idea of Overeem's chin is a complete joke; it's based on old LHW fights..." I literally just said that in the post you quoted.

you said "and the one time he fought a great boxer in MMA he got it broke again after turning and jogging away" I said "..and a fight with Sergei (one of the hardest hitters hw has ever seen) back when reem was still a LHW."

It's like you took my post and decided to do the bizarro version.

Murderers row...lololol....was the murderer Struve perhaps? JDS has not beat anybody impressive and neither has Overeem in MMA.

Overeem will roll over JDS though and that will be that. :icon_chee

So now Velasquez isn't an impressive win? :icon_neut

Back