do you think Izzy escaped the Ronda PR downfall?

Interesting thread, and to some extent I think he did. There's no way TUF wouldn't have damaged Izzy's reputation, he's more cringe worthy than Ronda ultimately.

Interesting thread, and to some extent I think he did. There's no way TUF wouldn't have damaged Izzy's reputation, he's more cringe worthy than Ronda ultimately.

Damaged his reputation with whom?

You seem to be forgetting that it's not the mid-to-late 2000s anymore. Nobody cares about TUF besides Dana.

Barely anybody watched that season of TUF that Ronda was on, and despite the fact that it made the hardcores hate her, she got exponentially more popular with casuals and continued to pick up support until Holm embarrassed her.

Adesanya just got served up to the casual fanbase, and for the most part, they liked what they saw.

LOL Casuals who never talk about MMA were gushing about Adesanya on my timeline last weekend. Everything about the Costa fight from the trash talk, to Izzy's performance to the hump went viral.

Also, you don't have to be good on the mic to become a crossover star. Since when was Ronda ever good at talking? When did GSP ever say anything even remotely interesting?

Furthermore, the fact that hardcore MMA fans hate Adesanya's personality is the least likely barometer for potential of mainstream success. Ronda was hated with a passion by hardcores during the period that she was one of the most respected athletes in the world.
Damn. I wouldnt have thought that about Costa considering the gayish memes he posts. Can you post some evidence?

It all depends on how good of a coach he turned out to be, and if he showed support to his team. If Izzy went in there showing some kid how to utilize their reach and setting up a perfect pull counter, people would have eaten that stuff up, blonde hair and all.

TUF hurt RR because she came off as a bit of a nutjob when people still thought she was this super chill chick. People were bored with Lesnar because he was so tame. Hughes lost fans because he turned out to be a dumb jock turned religious zealot

No way, it would do just the opposite. Watch his postfight interview the guy is entertaining as hell. Im sure they can find hours of great content for every episode.

Dojos, gyms, you name it, the ethos is built upon respect. I'm sorry you don't agree with this statement, and that you're getting quite angry because of it.

Sounds like martial arts would be good for you, in fact.........
I'm not angry with it you are just a hypocrite. You have ducked every question I have asked you and we both know the reason. Not a dojo or gym would not a single want Adesanya teaching seminars. Not a dojo in existence wouldnt want him as an active member. So you making some kind of statement like " he is not a real martial artist" because of his antics after being disrespected makes you look like a bozo trying to project values YOUR OWN gym wouldn't even walk by. A fraud

For Izzy to have a big implosion, he’d have to be a popular fighter like Rhonda in the first place. He’s not. He’s not a draw. He has no appeal to casuals because of his horrible personality and terrible mic skills.
You basically just described Ronda... lol

Specifically with regards to TUF. If you remember there was the notion of Izzy vs Costa being a TUF season that would have ended with their fight.

Of course that wouldn't have changed the outcome. But similar to Ronda vs Tate not changing the outcome of that fight, their TUF season absolutely annihilated Rousey in terms of PR. Would the same thing have happened to Izzy had an entire season of footage been made on his personality?

I ask because even without TUF ever being made I'm seeing a really strong reaction here:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/ranking-every-ufc-champion-by-likability.4136865/
Off-topic, but I'm surprised Kamaru has a % that high. Guy seems down to Earth and is an obvious talent.

Anyway, I think Izzy might have reached Ronda-levels of a PR implosion if they did a Izzy vs Costa TUF, since just the simulated humping already puts him past 40% ranking him as the least likeable. I can only imagine the % if they did an entire season of TUF.

TUF's impact on Rhonda's PR was literally nothing.

Rousey became a global female sports phenomenon towards 2015...TUF aired in 2013. Thats why people lost their shit with her during Wrestlemania and she was on big talk shows. Thats how she was pulling close to a 1 miilion PPV buys from a Brazil fight card.

What people here need to understand, is that just because he gets the most votes in an online Sherdog poll, doesn't mean that he's actually disliked in reality. If you talk to any actual human in real life, you won't hear many of them say anything bad about Izzy. Every single person I've talked to about MMA likes the guy cause he's a great entertaining fighter and seems to have a unique personality. It's amazing the difference between people's opinions here and the general public in the outside world.
Really good point. This place is the magnifying glass of criticism. Obviously casuals don't have the same ridiculous scrutiny. That is sort of why I brought up this topic... prior to TUF there were hardcore Ronda criticisms, but after TUF those EXPLODED here and then became more mainstream, and to an extent was even accepted by a portion of casuals.

Seeing the poll here makes me wonder if a TUF season would have a similar effect to Izzy that it had to Ronda. Basically wondering out loud if this is just Sherdog being Sherdog, or if his personality was to get an in-depth showcase (like a TUF season) it'd repeat what happened to Ronda.
TUF's impact on Rhonda's PR was literally nothing.

Rousey became a global female sports phenomenon towards 2015...TUF aired in 2013. Thats why people lost their shit with her during Wrestlemania and she was on big talk shows. Thats how she was pulling close to a 1 miilion PPV buys from a Brazil fight card.
You're the first person I've ever seen say this (that TUF had no impact on how Ronda was viewed)... I would just strongly disagree. Ronda came in as inaugural champ, beat Carmouche in exciting fashion, and had this place buzzing nonstop. That was start of 2013. TUF happened, Ronda didn't shake Meisha's hand post-fight. End of 2013. By 2014 this place was a rabid anti-Ronda hate factory. It didn't transfer to casuals straight off, no. But it definitely did by the time she lost to Holm, and exploded further with casuals once she lost. Even media people started parroting the shit that TUF started... that she was a bully, delusional to her own hype, blah blah.

If you think TUF had nothing to do with that... like I said, I'd just STRONGLY disagree. That sentiment about Ronda was almost nonexistent prior to TUF.
You Costa fans are so butt-hurt about this, LOL.
Not a Costa fan. In fact I predicted Izzy would pick him apart and stop him in later rounds. The big thing I was wrong about was that I thought Costa would take the 1st round prior to Izzy dismantling him. This is just a thread about PR moreso. I used to do that years ago, even though I got out eventually. Just my opinion, but I think it was very good for Izzy that Izzy did NOT do that TUF season. The Sherdog poll is a good gauge of hardcore negativity... the only question is how much of that could transfer if casuals paid as much attention to personalities as hardcores do. Typically TUF does that... it definitely did it to Ronda.

Damaged his reputation with whom?

You seem to be forgetting that it's not the mid-to-late 2000s anymore. Nobody cares about TUF besides Dana.

Barely anybody watched that season of TUF that Ronda was on, and despite the fact that it made the hardcores hate her, she got exponentially more popular with casuals and continued to pick up support until Holm embarrassed her.

Adesanya just got served up to the casual fanbase, and for the most part, they liked what they saw.
You sort of alluded to this when you say nobody watched TUF then say Ronda got exponentially more popular after it... but I think it deserves repeating it out loud: RR's popularity growth had nothing to do with TUF. I would argue it happened IN SPITE OF it, while I think your position is it didn't impact it at all.

Yes hardcore aren't everything but they also can provide a glimpse of casuals... if casuals analyzed and scrutinized the fighter 100 times more than they did (ie: a TUF microscope is put to them). For Ronda that template screamed NOT to do TUF (to be fair to her though, I bet she had no idea the show would portray her in the way that it did). I think it may be the same for Izzy.

I agree with your last statement... Izzy got served up to casuals and they liked it. My question is what happens if the serving is increased 10X... the sort of effect of a TUF season. Would that push casuals more in this extreme direction of him being the most hated champ, per that last poll? Or is Sherdog TOTALLY unrelated and provides no decent glimpse into potential casual perceptions?

It all depends on how good of a coach he turned out to be, and if he showed support to his team. If Izzy went in there showing some kid how to utilize their reach and setting up a perfect pull counter, people would have eaten that stuff up, blonde hair and all.

TUF hurt RR because she came off as a bit of a nutjob when people still thought she was this super chill chick. People were bored with Lesnar because he was so tame. Hughes lost fans because he turned out to be a dumb jock turned religious zealot
Good point, and I think this also bring up an interesting notion of how the editors would actually portray him. If they made every gripe he had about someone's personality into a close-up moment, how much footage they'd devote to him coaching versus him just chatting, etc.

If your described scenario actually happened but the cameras don't bother airing it... well... doesn't count for much obviously.

I'm not angry with it you are just a hypocrite. You have ducked every question I have asked you and we both know the reason. Not a dojo or gym would not a single want Adesanya teaching seminars. Not a dojo in existence wouldnt want him as an active member. So you making some kind of statement like " he is not a real martial artist" because of his antics after being disrespected makes you look like a bozo trying to project values YOUR OWN gym wouldn't even walk by. A fraud

I don't think you know what a hypocrite is.

You're quite angry at an opinion different from yours......

I don't think you know what a hypocrite is.

You're quite angry at an opinion different from yours......
Again tone is everything and since you don't know mine you assume anger because I use words like dummy. No anger I just find what you are saying hypocritical and dumb. You know it to which is why you dodged direct questions and came back with fortune cookie nonsense

Again tone is everything and since you don't know mine you assume anger because I use words like dummy. No anger I just find what you are saying hypocritical and dumb. You know it to which is why you dodged direct questions and came back with fortune cookie nonsense

I'll assume it's your posting style that has you on double yellows.........

There is no such thing as bad press. It’s been 5 days and people are still talking about it. Sounds like a W to me. Whether you want to see him take a beating and lose or KO his next opponent you’ll be watching

Back