Social Do you think Humanity is screwed or do you stay optimistic on our future?

For sure screwed because it's soooo easy to be stupid and let evil doers tell you what to think even when what you see for yourself is the opposite.

Our society in the USA is rapidly decaying.

Things are looking pretty bad for us.

agreed.

decadence, lack of basic human values, and tbh, we have been pampered, especially in this country.

as I mentioned in another thread, the term "struggle" is lost on many of us.

All things considered it seems that Humanity is screwed in the near future. Alot of very smart people believe this.

They think that the 21st century, particularly the second half of it will be a bad one for humans. Big rising populations that are unsustainable, worsening pollution, a potential 6th mass extinction of various species caused by humans, global warming(debatable), mass human displacement from worsening flooding, future drinking water scarcity, unsustainable modern life that continues to destroy environments, potential major wars. Etc. With all these potential scenarios having a worsening domino effect on each other etc.

Its to the point where Elon Musk, and Jeff Bezos two of the richest men on Earth are convinced that Humans need to be a multi planet species to ensure our Survival. And this is not lip service both of them are investing Billions into there respective companies to make this goal a reality. You have also various other investing billions in renewable energy, helping environment etc.

Do you believe this is all hyperbolic bullshit or is there a merit to believing that humanity is heading to an inevitable disaster?

I personally do believe these issues are real and serious but I stay on the Optimistic side in that “we will figure them out”

I don't give a fuck, I won't be around to see it go to crap if it's going to anyway.

Musk and Bezos wanting us to travel to the stars has more to do with their business model than saving humanity.......

More to do their their egos than anything and does probably tell you a lot that something that was previously a PR game between cold war powers is now one between billionaires.

The current status quo does seem to be very effective at avoiding large scale change compared to say the early 20th century.

The future is going to be hell and it's coming sooner than we think.

I think in the next 20 years, we will be living under a complete totalitarian society with no freedoms.

I wish I was wrong.

The future is going to be hell and it's coming sooner than we think.

I think in the next 20 years, we will be living under a complete totalitarian society with no freedoms.

I wish I was wrong.

not to make this thread political but I feel the same way. seeing what some of my friends say about others with differing political views, especially those whom are "unvaccinated" concerns me.

I suspect every generation thinks they will be the last. There are countless quotes from ancient times predicting the end of the World. The people who lived through the World Wars probably had better reason to think so than we do, and yet... here we are.

One step back, two steps forward

But we’re definitely due for a step back

Screwed. Climate change is most likely going to cause the complete collapse of civilization in the next hundred or so years. Not only that, but because we've used so many of Earth's easy to get natural resources future generations hundreds or thousands of years down the line might not be able to rebuild a technological society the way we have now.

Seriously don't understand how this isn't more clear to some of you. The last 8 years were the hottest on record in the last 200 years.

Yeah, humanity is screwed. You reap what you sow.
ag3epa4.gif

Sun turning into a Red Giant, Heat Death of the Universe, etc. and you honestly think humans will survive forever?
Humans (and robots, AI, etc.) are ephemeral little things destined to be completely extinct in the long run.

A02383F0-2154-4467-8458-6E2098C72800.jpeg We’re in the middle of “deadly” pandemic. And this is from this year. We’re screwed.

I think the species will survive unless there's some kind of extinction event, humans are too adaptable to be wiped out by anything less. It's quite possible that our civilizations and economy could break down though and result in many, many deaths.

Also I don't think Bezos or Musk thinking humans should be a multi-planetary species means they believe the Earth is doomed in the near future. I too believe we should be working towards colonizing other worlds so that we don't have all our eggs in one basket, so to speak. Even if we achieved total world peace and perfect harmony with the environment, the Earth could still be wiped out the next day by a planet killer asteroid or some other cataclysm beyond our control. Best to spread ourselves around so that we can't be wiped out in one shot.

I stay optimistic about my own life and improving myself, but im pretty sure humanity is fucked in many ways. I dont consider myself pessimistic, just realistic. Im happy the way my life is going and the changes ive made so far. Realistically though, I dont see enough people changing enough, or nations changing enough to make any sort of positive difference. Also, this influx of tech which some think is a great thing may ultimately be our slow and steady downfall. We are getting way too lazy and complacent as a species. Getting zombified by our digital innovations.

Humans think we are heading into a glorious future. Turns out we are actually losing touch with reality and heading into a future that will reshape the definition of what humanity truly is.

<Neil01><WhatIsThis>

Or maybe that edible I ate on NYE is just now kicking in.

Last edited:
We were screwed when we lived in caves and had to worry about sabertooth tigers eating our babies. Now we are deep into the process of un-screwing ourselves. I mean we havent even reached peak population yet. But of course we will eventually be screwed again, perhaps for good...

Back