Do you think fighters watch enough tape?

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im not a fighter and i know nothing about this game, but something i remember well is jon jones talking in a jre podcast about how much he studied his oponents. On tge other hand we have fighter telling "bruh it was not me back them im not gonna watch it"

Do you think some of this guys really study their oponents enough? Im not a jon jones fan and sure the steroids helped him in his sucess, but he's the only great i recall talking about this in a positive " no pun intendeed" manner.

Depends on the fighter, some fighters leave that to their coaches.

That seems like a terrible idea, im sure tye coaches know more about how to gameplan, but visualization of the situation is key

It depends on the psychology of the fighter really. They might build the fighter up to be some kind of monster they can't beat, or they might get too tuned into what they think the opponent is going to do and then do something different.

A lot of fighters like to focus on improving their skills in general and not focusing too much on the specific opponent and trust their coaches to work the things they think they need to work to be prepared for the fight.

i think if you want to be great you need to study. i don't care how good your coaches are, the more brains and eyes are on the footage the more perspective you gain.

but you need to be unbiased and brutally honest about the skills of both you and your opponent and i think this is where it becomes difficult for a lot fighters to do. because so many fighters are living on delusions of grandeur not many will be able to see what they need to see in the footage to actually reach the level they think they are destined for.

No. Id be a goodamn student of all fighting styles which i kinda am and i dont even get paid to do it. But if it was my JOB(sorry, Dana says "opportunity") id be studying as much as I could to become a better student of the game and YES id watch other fighters fights, especially guys I fight. Like in bjj(im a brown belt) the hardest guys to go against whether they are white belts or black belts, are guys who are unknowns. Dont know their style. Strengths. Tendencies. Etc. Much of the reason street fights are so unpredicatable(beyond weapons or multiple opponents).You never really know how much the other guy knows, how strong/tough/fast he is, and you cant judge him by his appearance.

It depends on the psychology of the fighter really. They might build the fighter up to be some kind of monster they can't beat, or they might get too tuned into what they think the opponent is going to do and then do something different.

A lot of fighters like to focus on improving their skills in general and not focusing too much on the specific opponent and trust their coaches to work the things they think they need to work to be prepared for the fight.

This, for sure. Everyone is different. A good coach knows what gets their fighter going. A bad coach uses a one size fits all method.

This topic reminds me of that scene in “like water” where Silva was watching video of Chael Sonnen saying he’s so strong and acting scared.

That seems like a terrible idea, im sure tye coaches know more about how to gameplan, but visualization of the situation is key

To add to this... some fighters will just not know what to look for. Just because you can fight doesn't mean you're good at assessing someone's skill or breaking down an opponent's style analytically.

King Mo famously studied a ton of tape... and it appeared to have helped him little.

Completely idiotic statement. If a fighter watches some tape and become scared then he is in the wrong profession.

Maybe the top tier guys but I doubt that the lower level fighters could afford the fightpass subscription

Im not a fighter and i know nothing about this game, but something i remember well is jon jones talking in a jre podcast about how much he studied his oponents. On tge other hand we have fighter telling "bruh it was not me back them im not gonna watch it"

Do you think some of this guys really study their oponents enough? Im not a jon jones fan and sure the steroids helped him in his sucess, but he's the only great i recall talking about this in a positive " no pun intendeed" manner.

Depends on the fighters individual fight IQ. Jones probably has the mind that could be an excellent coach as well. Some fighters need to be told though.

By watching tape the fighter can get an idea of the movements of their opponent to the point where it is second nature to them. Come fight night they will instinctively understand what their opponent is doing with each movement. I remember watching an interview with AO before one of his fights and with distain he said "I never watch tape" to the interviewer. Needless to say he got KTFO in the fight. Skill can make you overcome a lot of things but at the highest levels you need every advantage you can get.

In theory watching tape should be left to the coaching staff. But in practice I'm sure many coaches miss stuff for various reasons, so it wouldnt hurt for a fighter to watch tape and bring that to the coaches for gameplanning.

Stipe vs DC with those low hooks was an excellent example that it helps.

I think it really depends on the fighter and his/her coach. Some guys are like GSP, and they have to over-prepare for every opponent; other guys are like Donald Cerrone, and they might not know a thing about the guy they're fighting. Plus, I think a lot of the coaches have somewhat unique approaches to this tactic, as well.

As for Jones, I remember listening to that interview, and I think he's lying. When Jones is trying to praise himself, he loves to talk about how smart he is, how hard he works, blah, blah. But, when he turned in a bad performance against Gustaffson, it's "Oh, I didn't train enough, I didn't take him seriously, etc." Same thing with the tape study. Jones is just trying to shine his own wheels.

As stated by others, it really depends on the fighter. Some can watch a lot of tape and benefit from it by seeing things firsthand. Others are better off leaving it to their coaches as to not psych themselves out and overthink things. There is no right answer on how to approach it, a fighter should evaluate what works best for them.

giphy.gif

they should subscribe to espn+ for more tapes

Back