Do you think constantly talking about racism is good for race relations?

kahiljabroni

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Honest question.
Few examples: politicians of a certain party seem to never miss a opportunity to talk about attrocities of the past.
The media..they feast on any race related topics, ex. Donald sterling being biggest story of 2014.
Media outlets like msnbc..they have several shows where its all they discuss.
Our colleges..I went back to finish school last year and couldnt believe how much time was spent talking about white racism...this is with kids who were born in mid 90s.

Just trying to give u a few examples.

Anyway, I guess I have 2 questions. Is the goal of our society to become as colorblind as humanly possible in the goal of equality of opportunity. And if that is the goal, is the emphasis on racism of long ago productive to that end. If it is productive now...how much time would have to pass before YOU believe it would start to hinder our chances at achieving that goal. For example, 200 years from now woukd students spend so much time hearing about evil whites even though it would be so foreign from the america they grew up in.

I think that it is bad and divisive, like Obama campaign strategy.

How are white people supposed to feel guilt if it's not constantly talked about in the media?

"Constantly," no. When appropriate, sure. Defenders of the status quo always want people with complaints to just shut up, but if you want improvement, you have to point out problems.

I think it's used as a scare tactic now to control people's thoughts. I dunno how many people are sheep though and will just shut up versus how many people are getting angered by the stories. Most people seem to do what they are told though, so I imagine this news coverage will scare the shit out of people.

Now, I wonder when I text the N word whether it's going to some center to be used against me if need be. Some Orwellian shit.

Discussing racism will only be helpful if the discussions are productive & lead to understanding & common ground. That will only happen when individuals on all sides are open minded, accepting of facts & the feelings of others & less dismissive of the topic. If I just disregard any claims of racism or bigotry by one group or another without actually taking the time to understand the situation fully, I have no chance of finding common ground with any parties involved. Too many people are dismissive of the topic & I think it thwarts progress. Not every accusation of racism or bigotry is legit, just as some criminal charges are dismissed or acquitted. But we must look at the situation fully & objectively before we can come to a just conclusion.

you want to solve racial problem , simple make it as a joke. that way people dont take it seriously anymore

ask all comedian to make a joke about it all day. Gov website should post a race Joke everyday. when no one take it seriously. the problem go away

It's a tool to exploit differences in order to aggravate and intimidate people.

Now, I wonder when I text the N word whether it's going to some center to be used against me if need be. Some Orwellian shit.

What did Orwell have to say about people being judged by their words and actions?

"Constantly," no. When appropriate, sure. Defenders of the status quo always want people with complaints to just shut up, but if you want improvement, you have to point out problems.

This. Trying to say racism doesn't exist in America when an unarmed black teenager who never left his vehicle gets murdered by a white man who thinks it was self defense when he picked a fight and pulled his own gun despite never being attacked and the courts absolve the murderer of wrongdoing is far worse than discussing racism excessively.

you want to solve racial problem , simple make it as a joke. that way people dont take it seriously anymore

ask all comedian to make a joke about it all day. Gov website should post a race Joke everyday. when no one take it seriously. the problem go away

How is that going to stop police departments around the country from beating up and killing black kids?

How is that going to convince courts that a self defense claim is not less worthy by default because the defendant is not Caucasian?

This. Trying to say racism doesn't exist in America when an unarmed black teenager who never left his vehicle gets murdered by a white man who thinks it was self defense when he picked a fight and pulled his own gun despite never being attacked and the courts absolve the murderer of wrongdoing is far worse than discussing racism excessively.

Yea you want to link this case because I don

Interesting u should jump to this yet there are countless black on white crimes that are never reported on

Back