Do you think coaches think to themselves "there is no way my guy is winning this"?

AndyGoaty**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe Bonnar coaches thought this? Or other mismatched fighter coaches?

Well I doubt Cody McKenzie's coach thought he was going to beat Mendes.

Of course they sometimes think like that. But there job is to help their guy do as good as possible. It

yea maldonados coach must have thought this when he was fighting glover. scary dude right there

They can pick up the oppositions skill set too though. So they will be looking for weaknesses where their fighter has strengths.
Coaches also build fighters confidence up.. unless you're a bully coach like Shamrock.

A good coach should be able to offer a realistic assessment to the situation. Thus, they've got to know what the chanes are, even if they don't show it to their fighters.

No, not really. Optimism and preparation tends to take away realism, and how boring for a coach is it to be realistic when facing Anderson (about the outcome, not Silva's skills)? It's more of a "two templates with different skills going at it" viewpoint.

When Brock Lesnar was on Tuf 13 he said that he expected to lose the first fight between his sixth pick, Nordin Asrih and Team dos Santos' top pick, Shamar Bailey.Jens Pulver said he know that his fighter Wayne Weems was out classed by Gray Maynard going in to the fight

Last edited:
Maybe Bonnar coaches thought this? Or other mismatched fighter coaches?

If you have a coach like that then they should be fired. Anyone can win a fight, 50% of the fight is won in the gym, the other half is won in the cage. A coach has to be optimistic as well as a realist even if he feels it would be a hard fight for his fighter. A coaches job is to devise a strategy and for him to help his fighter implement that strategy in the cage.

If he aint doing that, he should go home and if he thinks his fighter can win he should be fired.

Anybody coaching against
* Jon Jones
* Georges St Pierre

I would mention Anderson Silva but everybody he fights seems to think they can beat him until they get in the cage.

Pretty sure Guida's coaches thought this before the Maynard fight.

Pretty sure Guida's coaches thought this before the Maynard fight.
Yeah, Jackson pretty much said it straight out when explaining how the fight ended up looking like it did.

I dunno but I think I remember Greg Jackson saying he came up with Guidas game plan against Maynard because he figured Maynard was better at everything than Guida.

I thought that was pretty fucked up of Greg to say lol.

Edit: Damn, looks like everyone else remembers that shit too.

Yes,they do.Pretty much everytime you see some coaches telling their fighters :

''You got this!Go back there and knock his head off!''

or something similiar with no techinical instruction in it,you know they're hoping for some crazy shit to happen,otherwise their fighter will lose in every area.

Anything can happen in a fight who would have thought Matt Serra would have beat GSP. Its a coaches job to make them as good a fighter as they can be and this includes giving them as much confidence as possible. They have to believe they can win the fight same as the fighters do.

This happens all the time. But only in their heart. They will lamost never say so, and if they do, they are a very bad coach. Plus there have been plenty of times where the coach thought this, and his guy won. Serra/GSP anyone???

Well I doubt Cody McKenzie's coach thought he was going to beat Mendes.

People always talk about this being the biggest mismatch because it was the #2 fw against a low tier guy. Why was it really a mismatch? Mckenzie only has a guillotine and mendes has no neck...he was fucked from the start

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back