Social Do you think 8% tip is way too low?

The size of the check has little to do with the amount of work done. If that was 2 bottles of wine and an appetizer you don't get $50 for a cumulative 5 minutes of walking to the table.

I am a generous tipper (18% at the low end) but you have touched on something here on how tipping has evolved.

Tipping for a meal used to be 10-15% on the bill MINUS, taxes and ALCOHOL. That used to be the standard and what you were supposed to calculate.

It has changed now to include alcohol and the range is 18-25%.

A glorified food mover didn't get the tip she wanted. Boo hoo. Welcome to reality. Tip income jobs are exactly that because they arent valued in our society. She should take this as a lesson or motivation to pursue a better stream of income or finish her college degree.

When I delivered fast food when I was a teenager i got the shittiest tips you could imagine with a broken down vehicle and in terrible weather. I never really complained about my tips. Know why, because I understood I was a pizza fucking delivery boy.

And Btw i always tip 20 to 30+ percent.

And I'm hoping this girl doesn't have a closet full of new clothes and other shit she doesnt need while she is blaming the customer. I'll bet she does.

Xa4MqYY.png
Only if the server did a really shitty job. You are a dick otherwise.

Tips should be built into the price of things but also determined by time and amount of people.

If two people get $70 steaks, expensive wine or whiskey and don't stay too long the waiter hardly did anything and the table wasn't held for too long allowing more customers per hour. Why should they tip based on total? Just because the waiter carried expensive things? I mean hypothetically you could have 2 people spend 2x what a big family group spends and be there half the time. The two people shouldn't have to tip more because they bought expensive items.

Btw I usually tip well. Just think it's a stupid system.
I agree.

The system is stupid, but I adhere to it anyway. I'm not going to punish the waiter because the business model of his employer is shit.

If you detest the idea of tipping so much that you're going to stiff your server, you should stay home or go somewhere that tipping isn't expected.

If she needs tips for tuition then I suggest working the pole not the dinner rush

Last edited:
Oh, yeah I didn't see that. You should tip at least some @Oeshon I don't see what being in America has to do with it.

Of course this serving bitching about a $15 tip probably isn't helping change anyone's mind

The reason why is that American tipping is extortion.

Tipping should be an optional bonus that you give soneone for exceptional service.

In America, it is not only expected, but the servers will be pissed if they feel you didn't give them enough. They are entitled twats

The worst part is that servers will fuck with customers of the business over tips. What happens if someone doesn't tip and goes to the same restaurant multiple times?

Everyone always says things like servers will fuck with your food etc.

That's not tipping, that's extortion.

I tip often and tip very well, specially for people who go above and beyond their basic job duties to provide me additional service. I'm not gonna just tip some loser in America 20% of my bill because they feel entitled to it for doing the most basic duties of their job requirements

I do tip some people in the US, but only places I plan to go back to or people that give me really good service.

I remember going to a diner once and the annoying chick just kept coming over in 2min to check on the table and interrupt our conversation. That is not good service, it's annoying as hell.

Tipping should be an optional bonus that you give soneone for exceptional service.

In America, it is not only expected, but the servers will be pissed if they feel you didn't give them enough. They are entitled twats

The worst part is that servers will fuck with customers of the business over tips. What happens if someone doesn't tip and goes to the same restaurant multiple times?

I tip often and tip very well, specially for people who go above and beyond their basic job duties to provide me additional service. I'm not gonna just tip some loser in America 20% of my bill because they feel entitled to it for doing the most basic duties of their job requirements

I do tip some people in the US, but only places I plan to go back to or people that give me really good service.

I remember going to a diner once and the annoying chick just kept coming over in 2min to check on the table and interrupt our conversation. That is not good service, it's annoying as hell.
I agree that the tipping system in America is kind of stupid, and I think servers should make a living wage. But they don’t. They depend on tips to live. I wouldn’t go to some other country and just do whatever stupid American restaurant shit I feel like. I would follow the tipping customs of the country that I’m in.

Less than 12-15% of anything is nothing (unless its "compounded" by somehow.) Good rule to live by.

10-15% for good service but this notion that people feel entitled to a tip can fuck right off. Not my fault your in a job that you’re getting fucked over on base pay

I tip based on how tight their clothes are..

I am a generous tipper (18% at the low end) but you have touched on something here on how tipping has evolved.

Tipping for a meal used to be 10-15% on the bill MINUS, taxes and ALCOHOL. That used to be the standard and what you were supposed to calculate.

It has changed now to include alcohol and the range is 18-25%.
Came to say this. Last time I worked in a restaurant I was 16 in the late 90’s and I can remember one waiter getting super pissed about the tip he received on a fairly large bill. The manager looked at the bill and said ‘they bought bottles of expensive wine, they don’t tip on that, nobody does’.

YOu leave something out there though that is vitally important.

The reason tipping is "expected" in the US for good or great service is that your bill is DISCOUNTED compared to jurisdictions where tipping is built in so you can hold it back if the service is bad or worse.

So in fact the only places you are FORCED to pay a tip every time (extortion) is the places that build the tip into the bill and even on the worst service you must pay it.

So the US system is superior as it puts the power in the Consumers hands. Yes its is expected, and that makes some angry, if service is good or great and that is because if you do not give it for good or great service they then have to move to FORCED tipping for all, including shitty service, as the only fair way.

YOu leave something out there though that is vitally important.

The reason tipping is "expected" in the US for good or great service is that your bill is DISCOUNTED compared to jurisdictions where tipping is built in so you can hold it back if the service is bad or worse.

Again, this is not true.

State law mandates that employees MUST pay minimum wage. If wage + tips doesn't meet mininum wage, the employer must pay the difference.

Therefore, noone is making less than minimum wage and your point is moot

I agree that the tipping system in America is kind of stupid, and I think servers should make a living wage. But they don’t. They depend on tips to live. I wouldn’t go to some other country and just do whatever stupid American restaurant shit I feel like. I would follow the tipping customs of the country that I’m in.

American system says if you get good or great service from only 3 of the below and bad service from the rest you tip them (X%) to reward them.

ten_people_person_information-512.png

Other systems say even if you get shit service from 7 of the below 10 and good service from only 3, too bad as we add on X% to your bill regardless and tip them as if the service was always great.

ten_people_person_information-512.png

There is NOTHING superior about the non american option unless you are a bad or worse server who is missing out on tips.

The reason certain people do not like the American system is they see it as an EXTRA expense that otherwise would not be there if they were not pressured to tip. They do not consider that they would not only still pay it but pay it much more in the built in system, but what they don't see, does not bother them as much.

It is an 'ignorance is bliss' response. Do not show me what i pay and do not give me an option, just build it in even if it costs me more, and i will be happier.

Again, this is not true.

State law mandates that employees MUST pay minimum wage. If wage + tips doesn't meet mininum wage, the employer must pay the difference.

Therefore, noone is making less than minimum wage and your point is moot
I never mentioned anything to do with minimum wage so don't strawman this.

Do you need me to quote again the restaurants in New York and L.A who experimented in going away from tipping and IMMEDIATELY built in a 15-20% service charge for the server into the bill?

I have quoted them many times before.

Those ARE TRUE. It is fact. Unless you are eating at Denny's all the time minimum wage has nothing to do with what we are discussing. Good servers earn far more than minimum wage. The only question here is:

Do you want that aspect of their wage BUILT IN EVERY TIME, or do you want DISCRETION?

I never mentioned anything to do with minimum wage so don't strawman this.

Do you need me to quote again the restaurants in New York and L.A who experimented in going away from tipping and IMMEDIATELY built in a 15-20% service charge for the server into the bill?

I have quoted them many times before.

Those ARE TRUE. It is fact. Unless you are eating at Denny's all the time minimum wage has nothing to do with what we are discussing. Good servers earn far more than minimum wage. The only question here is:

Do you want that aspect of their wage BUILT IN EVERY TIME, or do you want DISCRETION?

There is no strawman, I directly refuted your point about it being discounted in the US for tipping, which it isn't. Nobody is making $2 an hour. Let's be real here.

The US system is dumb, period. Bad service and then these low life losers think they can extort you for 20% of what you spend. I'll gladly stiff them just on the principle of them thinking they can fuck with a customer or their food because they didn't receive a good tip.

The only people who think the US tipping system is good is people working in tipping jobs in the US and people from the US.

It should be the restaurant owners responsibility to pay their employees a livable wage not the customer’s. Also taking a picture of the check to bitch on Instagram is weak too. Get chipping away at those night classes at the community college honey make something happen for yourself. Nobody’s potential lies in bringing plates of fuckin food to a table.

I bought 4 shots of fireball in Nashville and paid 1 dollar a shot in tip. The waitress was fuming. And stopped serving me. I approached her later and said I always tip a dollar a drink, she said she makes 3.75 an hour and that forty plus dollars should be around a 10 dollar total tip. We worked it out and she served me again.

I think 8% is too low but context is key. If you're paying 30 bucks a drink should you have to pay a 5 dollar tip?

Back