Social Do you think 8% tip is way too low?

I bought 4 shots of fireball in Nashville and paid 1 dollar a shot in tip. The waitress was fuming. And stopped serving me

This is exactly why the US system sucks. You paid her extra for performing her basic job duty, then she stopped serving you?

Thats called extortion.

This literally doesn't happen anywhere else in the world

if i go to a restaurant with a friend and they only tip 8% , you can be sure i will never go out to eat with that person ever again.

This is exactly why the US system sucks. You paid her extra for performing her basic job duty, then she stopped serving you?

Thats called extortion.

You arent really legally supposed to serve someone more than 4 drinks in a sitting

I bought 4 shots of fireball in Nashville and paid 1 dollar a shot in tip. The waitress was fuming. And stopped serving me. I approached her later and said I always tip a dollar a drink, she said she makes 3.75 an hour and that forty plus dollars should be around a 10 dollar total tip. We worked it out and she served me again.

I think 8% is too low but context is key. If you're paying 30 bucks a drink should you have to pay a 5 dollar tip?
Yes. I like to drink in craft cocktail bars, because I like well-made drinks with quality ingredients made by bartenders/mixologists who know their shit. And I tip accordingly.

There is no strawman, I directly refuted your point about it being discounted in the US for tipping, which it isn't. Nobody is making $2 an hour. Let's be real here.

The US system is dumb, period. Bad service and then these low life losers think they can extort you for 20% of what you spend. I'll gladly stiff them just on the principle of them thinking they can fuck with a customer or their food because they didn't receive a good tip.

The only people who think the US tipping system is good is people working in tipping jobs in the US and people from the US.
you are strawmanning again.

No one. and i mean NO ONE, is taking about servers around minumum wage and eating at Denny's.

I KNOW you don't eat at places like that and I don't either.

We ARE talking about restaurants where any mention of minimum wage is irrelevant.

So i get it. You don't like to tip and now you want to COVER that dishonestly, 'Oh this is all about Minimum wage for Oeshon and a fight for fairness re minimum wage.'

GTFO with that.

You are NOT a minimum wage campaigner and that is not the crux of your issue. You eat at exactly the type of restaurants where if tipping was moved away from IT WOULD automatically built it as a service charge or otherwise built in to the bill.

But this is the lie 'anti-tippers' tell themselves. Oh if i was not extorted to pay the tip, the bill would be cheaper. No it would not, FACT, ...it would be more expensive as you would lose all your discretion and be FORCED to tip 100% of the time.

You are just FACTUALLY wrong on this (but... but.. Denny's and minimum wage)

Year of Upheaval for Restaurants That Ended Tipping

The owners of Huertas, a cheerful Spanish small-plates restaurant in the East Village, knew they would have to raise prices when they abolished tipping last December...

...A rational system is exactly what he was hoping for when Huertas joined several restaurants in Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group — Maialino, Marta, the Modern, North End Grill and (as of last week) Gramercy Tavern and the newly reopened Union Square Café — that have stopped accepting tips. ...

...Instead of expecting customers to tip the people who wait on them, tip-free restaurants pay all employees wages that reflect their skill and seniority.
The customer pays a fixed amount, stated in writing (in menu prices), as in virtually every other kind of consumer business, ...

Last edited:
Dude the day I'll go to a tipping country I'll lose my mind haha.

PS : Just read that minimum salary for tipped employees is like 2 dollars. Wtf is that. I hope this actually shows on general food prices ? Any Americans can enlighten me ?

It always depends on their level on service, y'all know that. If he/she just takes my order and bring me food and check, that's it, then expect a shitty tip. But if they offer to refill my drink, check to see if we need anything else, etc, then I always tip 15%+.

yes. stop being a peasant and go atleast 10% (in Australia atleast because the minimum wages here is alot higher than america but when i was in america i tipped 20% as a rule of thumb).
I thought Australians didn't tip @Dayna

I don't mind tipping, but I find it ludicrous that these days coffee shops and fast food places are asking for tips. I'm literally grabbing my sandwich or coffee and leaving, so why should I tip? Even if I sat in the coffee shop and ate, it's not like they are serving me, I'll clean up my own mess and be on my way smh.

I don't mind tipping, but I find it ludicrous that these days coffee shops and fast food places are asking for tips. I'm literally grabbing my sandwich or coffee and leaving, so why should I tip? Even if I sat in the coffee shop and ate, it's not like they are serving me, I'll clean up my own mess and be on my way smh.
You arent being asked to tip there, that's 100% optional. At a place like that a dollar is fine.. not a big percentage of the bill.

That's how counter service places work. The buisness cant afford to pay everyone 15 bucks an hour.. they likely make around 8-11$ an hour, and the tips customers leave get those people up to 13-15 an hour which makes it a livable wage. It also allows the restaurant to have enough people staffed so that you are able to get in and out in a timely manner for your lunch.

Theres reasoning behind this shit and it's not to scam you out of money.

Notice how many restaurants around you rename and go out of buisness. They're not all making a killing.

Dont tip if you wish.. but dont come and gloat about being a cheap ass. Probably best to keep that to yourself

Dude the day I'll go to a tipping country I'll lose my mind haha.

PS : Just read that minimum salary for tipped employees is like 2 dollars. Wtf is that. I hope this actually shows on general food prices ? Any Americans can enlighten me ?

Depending on the state.

If the MHW is 7.25, tipped employees must make at least 7.25 with tips. If not the employer must make up for it.

So basically they get 2 bucks an hour for their wage, and must make at least 5.25 dollars an hour average on tips to make up the MW.

Depending on the state.

If the MHW is 7.25, tipped employees must make at least 7.25 with tips. If not the employer must make up for it.

So basically they get 2 bucks an hour for their wage, and must make at least 5.25 dollars an hour average on tips to make up the MW.
Yeah... and the tips are logged and recorded over a 2 week period. Not hourly or daily.

So you'd have to make less than 7.25 an hour averaged for the entire 2 weeks for them to pay you that difference. They dont make up the difference if you leave with 20 bucks after 6 hours one day

JCtg7Mk.png

garet looks like he needs Jesus

Depending on the state.

Ok but why is the girl in the OP mad ? Like it's a 15 dollars tip, which is like 3 hours service. Seems logic no ?

Thats called extortion.

Food prices in the USA are low because the owners count on the general public to pay their staff a fair wage.

If the USA moved to minimum wage for servers, expect them to increase prices of everything 15 to 20% to compensate. At this point you have a say in how much the servers need to cater to you to get 20%.

Yeah... and the tips are logged and recorded over a 2 week period. Not hourly or daily.

So you'd have to make less than 7.25 an hour averaged for the entire 2 weeks for them to pay you that difference. They dont make up the difference if you leave with 20 bucks after 6 hours one day

I know some places make them pool the tips and then spreads it out evenly. But then if you are the best server you are getting screwed.

I know some places make them pool the tips and then spreads it out evenly. But then if you are the best server you are getting screwed.
Yeah a badass server probably wouldn't want to work there.

But it makes sense from a buisness standpoint. All the waiters would be more likely to work together and help each other out because bad service fucks everyone's money.

Ok but why is the girl in the OP mad ? Like it's a 15 dollars tip, which is like 3 hours service. Seems logic no ?
Because it's like half of the lowest suggested amount you tip.

Still fuck her, you dont go bitch about it and post online. Shrug it off and keep hustling. I bet she was fake as hell and complains about everything.

Back