Do you tell people you do a combat sport when they ask?

Have no problem telling people i do kickboxing. Don't remember experiencing any retarded reactions even when I was in high school. I guess that's because back then I had a thick ass Russian accent and people would think that I'd nuke them or something if they'd try fucking around.

I tell people I grapple and Kickboxing to which most reply, it can't be that tough if you do it; I am told I don't look or act like a guy who trains.

Also people start with the what would you do if I did this or that, or they mention another guy who may train and ask if I can take them..esp when I did warehouse work..guys were always try to setup fightclub type matches.

And I never play fiht with people too much ego and I don't need the drama.

If someone looks or sounds like someone who will tease or provoke you don't tell them.
I was at the pub with a wrist brace from a wrestling incident, I told some guy I got it wrestling and he goes: I reckon I could take you.
I realise he's a knob and don't talk to him anymore.
Usually people are cool. I like having a full toolbox for situations though. I was boxing at a mates place and he got beat up by his brother so he learnt to be the bully. He started swinging hard so I faked a big cross and took him down. I stopped training with him.
Jujitsu is good because it can turn a volatile fight into a less dangerous situation.

Yeah i dont get that either. If she said, "is that like muay thai?" You just say, "yeah that's exactly what it is, I just say thai boxing because people never know what I am talking about when I say it."

No big deal... :D

thats pretty much what i told her...i felt like an idiot i suppose because of my shitty luck in that the first person i said that to knew what MT was (because they did it also).

fine...maybe idiot is too strong of a word...unlucky then.

I do ufc.

But seriously, I either say I train mma, or I say thai boxing. Kickboxing invokes too much "90s shiny pants/no leg kicks" imagery and "muay Thai" sounds like a karate based TMA to most people.

i say i do Muay Thai and they say what's that? i end up usually saying kickboxing in the end.

about a month into my training..some homies did the stereotypical, "kick my hand" "how high can u kick?" stuff...but i just laugh and shrug it off. when we play fight i tend to stay outta it. the drunken arm punches are common, but i'd never kick 'em.

but i do have a handful of friends who train so it's good to talk to them about stuff too.

whenever i tell kids at school that i train the first thing they usually say is "dude is it hard?" no, mixed martial arts arent hard.

If somebody asks Ill tell them I train. otherwise I don't bring it up. if they ask about karate they'll do the hya stuff and ask for a demo, usually will do a spinning hook kick for them. if they are interested Ill eventually reveal all of my wrestling judo and jj training as well.

If somebody asks Ill tell them I train. otherwise I don't bring it up. if they ask about karate they'll do the hya stuff and ask for a demo, usually will do a spinning hook kick for them. if they are interested Ill eventually reveal all of my wrestling judo and jj training as well.

A fun one to do as a demo, rather than a fancy kick is something practical. Becuase, truth be told, i've met dancers who could do better spin kick movements than 90% of Martial Artists :redface:

Do the Bruce Lee special of "stand there, i'm gonna walk up and jab you with this hand" if you're fast enough.

Just pull it a bit in front of their face. That's always fun.

Funny how when you tell people you train and practice Muay Thai, people always ask, "You mean like MMA?"

I tell them, obviously. I've never come across people who start play sparring but they often want me to punch them in the arm or something... I tell them that theres a reason we use our arms to block punches. I've also had people dumb enough to think a low kick is like getting punched in the arm........I admit, I folded once, but only because it was a close friend and we all like seeing our friends get fucked up on occasion.

EDIT: There was this one hockey player in first year uni (canada) who instead of punching his arm, I gave him a little slap on his liver and he looked at me (it obviously didnt hurt him) and went "woah that burns! how'd ya do that?".

We have magic powers

Last edited:
Whenever I meet someone new, I punch the closest passer-by. I'm horrible at mixers.

Last night I had to explain to a girl that BJJ was not the same thing as Tai Chi.

i've met dancers who could do better spin kick movements than 90% of Martial Artists :redface:

well considering more adult martial artists do muay thai and bjj, I believe it.

often times when people start throwing techniques at me I block harder than they expect because of my karate training. its not that I am trying to hurt them but that is how I've trained to block and it hurts... them.

Back